U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2011, 10:19 AM

966 posts, read 1,682,471 times

Advertisements

America is in a massive heat wave and I want to help people cool off by contributing a delicious gazpacho recipe to tide you over. I hate eating hot and heavy meals in the summertime and try to stick to salads or sandwiches when I can.

• 1 cucumber, halved and seeded, but not peeled
  • 2 red bell peppers, cored and seeded
  • 4 plum tomatoes
  • 1 red onion
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 23 ounces tomato juice (3 cups)
  • 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
  • 1/4 cup good olive oil
  • 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper

Chop the cucumbers, bell peppers, tomatoes, and red onions into 1-inch cubes. Put each vegetable separately into a food processor fitted with a steel blade and pulse until it is coarsely chopped. Do not overprocess!

After each vegetable is processed, combine them in a large bowl and add the garlic, tomato juice, vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Mix well and chill before serving. The longer gazpacho sits, the more the flavors develop.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 06:16 AM

891 posts, read 2,836,322 times
I'll try this. Gazpacho is a favorite of mine for the very reasons you state. It's so refreshing. I don't know why i've never made it but I'm going to soon.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:11 AM

77,820 posts, read 90,511,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexingtongal View Post
I'll try this. Gazpacho is a favorite of mine for the very reasons you state. It's so refreshing. I don't know why i've never made it but I'm going to soon.
one of my favorites as well. Too bad hubby thinks soup means HOT> Maybe I could make it next Sunday after church, add a little bit of vodka and tell him it is a bloody Mary.??
NIta

Old 07-28-2011, 01:58 PM

17,336 posts, read 28,870,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
one of my favorites as well. Too bad hubby thinks soup means HOT> Maybe I could make it next Sunday after church, add a little bit of vodka and tell him it is a bloody Mary.??
NIta
Absolutely HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for the giggles!

Old 09-05-2011, 11:37 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,688,812 times
Talking Totally....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Absolutely HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for the giggles!
brings back very fond memories of my Gaspacho makin' days...always ended up, somehow, in the bathtub...nekked...w/a big glass of tomato juice and vodka...LOLOL...great times and the Gaspacho wasn't bad either....
Koale

Old 09-11-2011, 09:15 AM

16,115 posts, read 19,425,304 times
The OP's Gazpacho recipe is very similar to mine, and--in truth--the exact proportions of cucumber, pepper, and tomato are not a crucial detail. They are all good, and having a bit more or a bit less of any one vegetable just makes for a slightly different taste to a delicious, refreshing, and healthy summer treat.

However, I do want to share a tip with you that makes a very significant difference. Instead of White Wine Vinegar, you should substitute Sherry Vinegar!
I got this tip from watching America's Test Kitchen on TV, and it makes for a very nice improvement to the recipe. After all--this is the type of vinegar that many people use in Spain, and Gazpacho is a Spanish dish, so it does make sense that using Sherry Vinegar would help to make your Gazpacho more authentic.

Unfortunately, not all supermarkets sell this product, so you might have to search a bit. In most cases, you will need to go to a supermarket that is a bit more upscale, but the extra legwork will be worth it!

Old 09-11-2011, 09:19 AM

3,770 posts, read 5,585,311 times
If you want to add a little protein to gazpacho, a topping of tiny baby shrimp and some small cubes of cream cheese are a great addition.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:32 AM

207 posts, read 499,611 times
If you like gazpacho look for "salmorejo".

Old 09-11-2011, 09:50 PM
CYB

108 posts, read 248,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

NIta
I think soup should be hot as well, but I love gazpacho.I just think of it as the yummiest salsa that I van eat by the bowlfull and slip the chips!

Old 09-28-2011, 05:47 PM

9,101 posts, read 14,990,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamon Delight View Post
America is in a massive heat wave and I want to help people cool off by contributing a delicious gazpacho recipe to tide you over. I hate eating hot and heavy meals in the summertime and try to stick to salads or sandwiches when I can.

• 1 cucumber, halved and seeded, but not peeled
  • 2 red bell peppers, cored and seeded
  • 4 plum tomatoes
  • 1 red onion
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 23 ounces tomato juice (3 cups)
  • 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
  • 1/4 cup good olive oil
  • 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper

Chop the cucumbers, bell peppers, tomatoes, and red onions into 1-inch cubes. Put each vegetable separately into a food processor fitted with a steel blade and pulse until it is coarsely chopped. Do not overprocess!

After each vegetable is processed, combine them in a large bowl and add the garlic, tomato juice, vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Mix well and chill before serving. The longer gazpacho sits, the more the flavors develop.
Throw in some basil and parsley and even some celery for some crunch. Also use the best tomatoes you can find. Organic Heirlooms will really make it special.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes