U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 11:12 AM

445 posts, read 766,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
I 've heard that cooking meat slowly on a low temp produces a tender, juicy meal. The picture looks yummy!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 11:55 AM

2,278 posts, read 2,303,586 times
Roasting a chicken doesn't get any easier or juicier than this very simple recipe from AllRecipes. I just made it yesterday and am turning the leftovers into chicken enchiladas today!

Seriously, this recipe will surprise you. Juicy Roasted Chicken

Old 07-30-2011, 12:18 PM

77,412 posts, read 90,069,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickytoffee View Post
Thanks. I hadn't thought about the crock pot. But I won't get that crispy skin I like.
you won't get the crispy skin, you are right, plus remember, if you use the crock pot, too much liquid and you will be boiling the chicken causing it to be tough. In fact you can cook it without any liquid. The chicken itself does have more liquid than you might realize.

Nita

Old 07-30-2011, 12:21 PM

8,092 posts, read 13,876,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
I make that every winter (when I can use the oven) once a month!

And I found that cutting down or omitting the salt completely doesn't make any difference.

Oh yum. Come one, winter

Old 07-30-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
Roasting a chicken doesn't get any easier or juicier than this very simple recipe from AllRecipes. I just made it yesterday and am turning the leftovers into chicken enchiladas today!

Seriously, this recipe will surprise you. Juicy Roasted Chicken
Chicken enchiladas-FANTASTIC!

Old 07-30-2011, 03:46 PM

133 posts, read 245,059 times
Default Re: Me and the Whole Chicken

I tried brining a chicken recently and it works wonderfully. I stole this recipe from Ruhlman.Com.

Lemon-Herb Brine for 1 Chicken, whole or cut into pieces
15 ounces water (or 1/2 liter)
3 ounces salt (or 100 grams)
fresh herbs (I used sage above)
4 cloves garlic
1 small onion sliced
1 lemon halved
2 bay leaves
2 teaspoons black peppercorns, cracked beneath a saute pan
15 ounces ice (500 grams ice), or 15 ounces of ice water
1 chicken (3 to 4 pounds)
Combine all of the above except the ice and chicken in a small pan and bring to a boil over high heat. Cover and remove from the heat and let sit for ten minutes.
Put the ice (or ice water) in a bowl or large measuring cup. Pour the herb brine over the ice. Stir till the ice is dissolved.
Put the chicken in a plastic bag, pour the brine in, seal the bag, and let sit at room temperature for 2 to 3 hours.
Remove the chicken from the bag, discarding the brine. Pat it dry and let it sit out for another hour before using (or you can refrigerate it till needed). Great for roasting, but especially fine for frying.
If you want to brine it for longer periods of time, reduce the amount of salt. I've let it go 24 hours using 2 oz of salt instead of three. Other than that, Gandalara's technique is gospel for a great roast chicken.

If you want an interesting alternative to plain roast chicken, look at Midwesternbookworm's post in the thread "tried and true recipes that get rave reviews" - the potato and olive stuffing for chicken. We've been making this for at least 15 years, and have yet to have anyone not go back for seconds (or thirds) and ask for the recipe.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:08 PM

1,969 posts, read 5,524,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you won't get the crispy skin, you are right, plus remember, if you use the crock pot, too much liquid and you will be boiling the chicken causing it to be tough. In fact you can cook it without any liquid. The chicken itself does have more liquid than you might realize.

Nita

Great advice Nita! Very true...be careful not too use much liquid. Maybe 1/2 can of broth if you must. And no, the skin won't get crispy, but its not mush either. Its a great way to have a roaster when your not home to put it in the oven yourself. This is a popular work night meal for us because its so easy.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:00 PM

10,135 posts, read 24,456,014 times
Crock pots are good for turning a chicken into cat food or boned chicken for sandwiches.

Clean out chicken, rinse. Place chicken in the smallest covered pan that can fit the ingredients below. Add 3 chopped carrots, 3 quartered onions, 3 garlic cloves, bouquet garni (parsley, celery and herb of your choice - rosemary for me - put it inside the chicken). Salt and pepper, cover and cook 1 hour at 325F. Uncover and cook 1/2 hour at 375. Remove ingredients, toss garlic and bouquet garni, add a quarter stick of butter and deglaze any brown pieces in the pan with the butter and the liquid in the bottom of the pan (it should be a syrupy brown before you add the butter). Pour the cooking liquid and butter mixture over the chicken.

End of story.

EDIT: I am OK with brining the chicken but that itself is as much trouble as cooking the darn thing, so while I brine,
I suggest skipping that until you are comfortable with the prep.

Old 08-05-2011, 03:16 PM

Thanks,Wilson. This seems a little simpler for me. I'm just learning and get easily intimidated with fancy cooking methods.

Old 08-05-2011, 03:40 PM

16,482 posts, read 13,865,622 times
I couldn't be so more opposite to what is already written
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes