U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 05:14 PM

2,898 posts, read 5,555,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
... and I got a little more crunch. But it's still not all the way there.

PatanjaliTwist's last comment got me thinking. I have looked at some other boards and found some info that might help.

Thanks to you all! I will let you know what I do next time and we will see how it comes out.

I am starting with a new, heavier tube pan.
You are totally on the right track. I'm replacing all my pots/pans for baking/cooking due to relocation... wow, are they pricey! Next time I buy catfish (this week), I'm going to ask Grandma to pour all her love into my fish fry. I know... I'm a weirdo... but, sometimes my sister, who lives cross-country, & I sense grandma around... interesing that it's always around our kitchens, even though she died long before we had 'our' kitchens.

Good luck. Don't forget to check out local Goodwill's for discarded cook/bakeware... they often render the best results.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 06:19 AM

10,944 posts, read 9,676,272 times
Quote:
Oh Pat, I so wish she were here to ask! She has been gone for several years now. Even before she died, we could not figure out what I am doing --- or not doing!

I had not thought about the products being reformulated, but the mystery started long ago, and I am sure we were using the same formulations of the margarine and shortening at that time.

I did a little research on margarine. Its history is fascinating, since the dairy farmers did all they could to try to block the competition it represented. The one I use, Blue Bonnet, does contain soy oil, but it has done so for many years.

Crisco Shortening (the sticks) contains soybean oil and palm oil.

I have been using house brand sugar. I need to try Domino's again, I guess.

I really have not bought into the GMO altering the nutritional aspect of foods. My GMO concern is what will happen if the GMO genes end up in the wild.

Thanks for the thought provoking comment!
I know this thread is a bit old but I never use margarine, especially if I want a crispy crust to my dessert, whether it's Cobbler or Pound Cake. The butter in the recipe creates a wonderful crunchy crust.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:50 AM

28,809 posts, read 31,912,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I know this thread is a bit old but I never use margarine, especially if I want a crispy crust to my dessert, whether it's Cobbler or Pound Cake. The butter in the recipe creates a wonderful crunchy crust.

But my mother always used margarine! That's part of the mystery.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
But my mother always used margarine! That's part of the mystery.
Every margarine is different from each other and then they are constantly changing the formula even if you stick to one brand. I would guess that something has changed in the margarine that is creating this problem.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Every margarine is different from each other and then they are constantly changing the formula even if you stick to one brand. I would guess that something has changed in the margarine that is creating this problem.
But the mystery is longstanding! I could not replicate her results even when she was alive and we shopped at the same stores.

I'm going to consider using butter, though. It would be interesting to see the difference it makes.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:17 AM

Quote:
But the mystery is longstanding! I could not replicate her results even when she was alive and we shopped at the same stores.

I'm going to consider using butter, though. It would be interesting to see the difference it makes.
Crisco, for example, changed the formula to remove trans fats but we're going to assume that you used the same new formula. If you did use the same ingredients, then there are only two options left. The oven or the method. Sounds like you have the method down pat because y'all reviewed this. So, I would say the oven. If your mother's oven was older, it's not going to be as constant as yours and you are likely starting your baking with a hotter oven. I would tend to agree with the other posters and try the cold oven method.

When I got a new stove, I had to change some of my recipes. I used to just pop in my cakes after preheating the oven and now I have to start cold on a few of them. My new oven has a fan that better circulates the hot air and holds the temperature efficiently. My old oven was one of those with the big heating elements and as a result, really didn't have even temps throughout. I also think this caused a humidity change in my new oven, but that's just guessing. Before changing any of the recipe ingredients, I would try the cold start oven method.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Crisco, for example, changed the formula to remove trans fats but we're going to assume that you used the same new formula. If you did use the same ingredients, then there are only two options left. The oven or the method. Sounds like you have the method down pat because y'all reviewed this. So, I would say the oven. If your mother's oven was older, it's not going to be as constant as yours and you are likely starting your baking with a hotter oven. I would tend to agree with the other posters and try the cold oven method.

When I got a new stove, I had to change some of my recipes. I used to just pop in my cakes after preheating the oven and now I have to start cold on a few of them. My new oven has a fan that better circulates the hot air and holds the temperature efficiently. My old oven was one of those with the big heating elements and as a result, really didn't have even temps throughout. I also think this caused a humidity change in my new oven, but that's just guessing. Before changing any of the recipe ingredients, I would try the cold start oven method.
Isn't the chemistry and physics of cooking fascinating?

I have an old oven, and the thermostat appears to be accurate. Using the cold start method did seem to make a small difference in the last cake I made.

But from your comments, I wonder if the cumulative changes in the shortening and margarine is playing a part now. It still does not account for why I have never been able to make a pound cake like hers! It's a family joke, really.

One of my mother's brothers once paid me a high compliment when he said I cooked just like my mother and their mother! But the pound cake eludes me!

Maybe I should try lard instead of Crisco and butter instead of margarine! Get the Coronary Care Unit ready!

Old 10-19-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Isn't the chemistry and physics of cooking fascinating?

I have an old oven, and the thermostat appears to be accurate. Using the cold start method did seem to make a small difference in the last cake I made.

But from your comments, I wonder if the cumulative changes in the shortening and margarine is playing a part now. It still does not account for why I have never been able to make a pound cake like hers! It's a family joke, really.

One of my mother's brothers once paid me a high compliment when he said I cooked just like my mother and their mother! But the pound cake eludes me!

Maybe I should try lard instead of Crisco and butter instead of margarine! Get the Coronary Care Unit ready!
Crisco has always been a mainstay in our home growing up because it consistently created that nice flaky crust for pies, etc. But, since they've changed the formula, I think it isn't as good. I started using store brand (Piggly Wiggly) shortening instead. Some of my recipes just couldn't handle the change in Crisco formula.

Only other thought that might have occurred - do you add your eggs one at a time?

Old 10-19-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Crisco has always been a mainstay in our home growing up because it consistently created that nice flaky crust for pies, etc. But, since they've changed the formula, I think it isn't as good. I started using store brand (Piggly Wiggly) shortening instead. Some of my recipes just couldn't handle the change in Crisco formula.

Only other thought that might have occurred - do you add your eggs one at a time?
Yep, eggs one at a time. Milk and flour in small batches, alternating, and starting and ending with flour.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Yep, eggs one at a time. Milk and flour in small batches, alternating, and starting and ending with flour.
I know it sounds odd, but I wonder if you could try and make the pound cake at a relative's house or something? That way you could at least figure out if it's the ingredients, method, or the oven. I wouldn't change a single thing, cook it elsewhere, and see if it comes out right. That way you can narrow it down to the oven.

I know when I got my new stove/oven, I had to adjust quite a few of my recipes. I have a Cuppa Cuppa Cuppa recipe that had to be adjusted down 10 minutes; which is a lot in baking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes