U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 10:29 AM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 7,422,263 times

Advertisements

for marinade:
1 small can of pineapple tibits, or chunks
3 TBSP of Pineapple, or Pineapple/Apricot, or Apricot Preserves
1-2 TBSP. micro-grated fresh Ginger
1-2 TBSP. grated fresh garlic
1-2 TBSP. Soy Sauce (here's your salt, but when with other stuff-negligible)
1 TBSP. Black vinegar, optional, but does give it just a touch of tartness
1 tsp. Sesame Oil
1 tsp. lightly toasted Sesame Seeds
1/2 tsp. ground Cumin
1/2 tsp. dried gound pepper flakes-optional (add more/less, if desidered)

Drain pineapple from juice, juice in medium bowl and set pineapple aside.
Whisk all the rest, with juice together.
Place mix in plastic bag.
Place chicken in plastic bag.
Work chicken around to coat.
Place bag on plate or in bowl, and place in fridge 1-2 hours before cooking.
Remove chicken and pat dry.
Discard liquids in plastic bag.
Cook with pineapple pieces.
This is good with thighs, wings, breast, or cubes (for sish-kabobs)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 11:45 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,299 posts, read 12,782,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Not quite so fast, Woof.

Salt-Hypertension

Causes of High Blood Pressure: Weight, Diet, Age, and More

"Essential hypertension is also greatly influenced by diet and lifestyle. The link between salt and high blood pressure is especially compelling. People living on the northern islands of Japan eat more salt per capita than anyone else in the world and have the highest incidence of essential hypertension. By contrast, people who add no salt to their food show virtually no traces of essential hypertension.
The majority of all people with high blood pressure are "salt sensitive," meaning that anything more than the minimal bodily need for salt is too much for them and increases their blood pressure."

Medical News: Cut Daily Salt Intake to 1,500 Mg, AHA Says - in Cardiovascular, Hypertension from MedPage Today
http://www.medpagetoday.com/upload/2...820d0793v1.pdf

The current recommendation is 1500 mg sodium per day for all of us.

I do not want to hijack the thread, but I do think you are mistaken about salt. We can move the discussion of the issue to Health and Wellness if you like.
There's been an ongoing battle between statisticians and American medical groups concerning whether salt is bad for health or not beyond a bare minimum dose. Here's the first thing I came across just now, but the controversy has also been in science and health news in the last coupla months: Sodium Chloride - The Great Salt Myth

I don't care much about the debate, I just note that the anti-salt folks have failed to prove their case just as the anti-fat, the anti-caffeine, and the anti-alcohol people failed at proving what they claimed. It doesn't matter to me, because it probably won't hurt the body too much by going on a low sodium diet, many people have done it for years without noticeable harm, at least from what I've seen personally.

That's why I played along with the OP. He's the captain of his own ship, I'm just here to serve and obey.

Last edited by Woof; 09-06-2011 at 11:53 AM..

Old 09-06-2011, 02:24 PM

28,801 posts, read 31,905,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
There's been an ongoing battle between statisticians and American medical groups concerning whether salt is bad for health or not beyond a bare minimum dose. Here's the first thing I came across just now, but the controversy has also been in science and health news in the last coupla months: Sodium Chloride - The Great Salt Myth

I don't care much about the debate, I just note that the anti-salt folks have failed to prove their case just as the anti-fat, the anti-caffeine, and the anti-alcohol people failed at proving what they claimed. It doesn't matter to me, because it probably won't hurt the body too much by going on a low sodium diet, many people have done it for years without noticeable harm, at least from what I've seen personally.

That's why I played along with the OP. He's the captain of his own ship, I'm just here to serve and obey.
I still have to disagree. The guy in your link appears to have an agenda. You have to pay for his newsletter to read them, and the article is not dated. The latest date I saw that he mentioned was 2000.

I think I will take the opinion of the internists and physiologists over that of a psychiatrist whose niche seems to be "stress."

Old 09-06-2011, 03:06 PM

But again, I said it was the first thing I came across. It wasn't what I read a little while ago in science or health news, where it said there IS a controversy - that the overwhelming majority of statisticians say there is no good statistical evidence to fear salt, while the overwhelming majority of medical practitioners still advise many of their patients to go on low salt diets.

Please try to understand this: I'm not taking sides on which is right. I'm saying that there's a controversy. For me, personally, the displeasure and trouble of going on a low salt diet isn't worth the increasingly small possibility that it might do me some good. I've seen hundreds of different diet theories, many of them radically different from each other - like rectums, everyone seems to have a different diet theory and they all stink.

It might not even be much of a bother for most people to go on a low salt diet. So why not, if that's what floats your boat? I only know for me that it dramatically reduces my pleasure in eating. Maybe the OP is thrilled by low salt foods and has decided that it makes a difference in health ..... ok, that's his decision.

Again, I'm NOT judging one side or the other to be true, I've only mentioned that there's a controversy, which is hardly deniable.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:15 PM

28,801 posts, read 31,905,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
But again, I said it was the first thing I came across. It wasn't what I read a little while ago in science or health news, where it said there IS a controversy - that the overwhelming majority of statisticians say there is no good statistical evidence to fear salt, while the overwhelming majority of medical practitioners still advise many of their patients to go on low salt diets.

Please try to understand this: I'm not taking sides on which is right. I'm saying that there's a controversy. For me, personally, the displeasure and trouble of going on a low salt diet isn't worth the increasingly small possibility that it might do me some good. I've seen hundreds of different diet theories, many of them radically different from each other - like rectums, everyone seems to have a different diet theory and they all stink.

It might not even be much of a bother for most people to go on a low salt diet. So why not, if that's what floats your boat? I only know for me that it dramatically reduces my pleasure in eating. Maybe the OP is thrilled by low salt foods and has decided that it makes a difference in health ..... ok, that's his decision.

Again, I'm NOT judging one side or the other to be true, I've only mentioned that there's a controversy, which is hardly deniable.

OK, I get your point. But maybe you've been trying the wrong low salt recipes!

B4U's marinade looks yummy!

Old 09-06-2011, 03:30 PM

Yes it does. I don't often use marinades since I prefer brining on the rare occasions when I do any overnight prepping, but I might give that a try just because I bought some fresh ginger and have been wondering what to use it in ...... and because the recipe looks very tasty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or