U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2011, 03:48 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,235,453 times

Advertisements

Hi - I have a friend that is recuperating from surgery and has to stay off her feet. I have thought of Spaghetti, chicken casserale, and meatloaf - what are some other ideas? My mind is blank.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 04:05 PM

4,175 posts, read 9,939,766 times
Any kind of stew or soup or any kind of casseroles that can be reheated in the microwave. I cooked a weeks worth of food for my little sister when she had her baby. I made spaghetti, chicken enchilada casserole, beef stew, a soup (I don't remember which one) and I froze them in individual servings in freezer containers.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:42 PM

5,683 posts, read 9,463,603 times
Does she have a big family or is it just her living by herself? Does she have any food allergies or sensitivities? Is she on any medications or therapies that create food-related problems (grapefruit juice interacts unfavorably with some medications, narcotic pain relievers cause constipation, chemotherapy can alter one's perception of taste, radiation therapy can cause burns in the GI tract, etc.)? Those are questions you might want to raise before you start cooking.

I have friend who's got four kids and a mostly useless husband, and after she had cancer surgery a few years ago, a bunch of us put together a meals-on-wheels program for her and her kids. One thing that was a big success was a pan full of stuffing covered with pork chops; she could have one of her kids put it in the oven and take it out, and they had stuffing and meat all in one pan. Other things that went over well included scalloped potatoes and ham, chicken-broccoli-rice casserole, cabbage rolls, and a variety of soups and stews. And I made up a massive batch of fried chicken, which became cold fried chicken for the family for several days (they loved it).

You're a good friend to want to help; more power to you! This old world would be a better place if more of us took time to do things like that. Hope your friend recovers quickly!

Old 09-18-2011, 04:59 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,235,453 times
Thanks for the ideas MoonLady and MidwestBookWorm - MWM -that would be the handle that my mom would love if she was on CD :-)

This is my new friend that I met here on CD site - it is just 3 of them and when I mentioned those in my OP she replied "Those foods sound great. We really eat anything" so I am going to add that stuffing and pork chop idea , and scalloped potatoes and ham and the chicken enchilada casserole to my other ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes