Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 07:21 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,550,180 times

Advertisements

Send them to me. I know how to fry them. My mom at 90 would just make more pickles. We are just now planting tomatoes for the late fall harvest. Can't wait. Tell the Mrs. Hi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 09:28 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBookworm View Post
"Okay so how exactly do you do fried green tomatoes? Method please! "

One of my sisters has a husband who absolutely LOVES fried green tomatoes.

She slices them about 3/8" thick, dredges them in flour, dips them in an egg wash, then drops them back into the flour again, then fries them in oil.

I've also seen cracker crumbs and corn meal used in the second dredging.
That's classic. And delicious.

foodnetwork.com has great recipes for everything or anything like this.

Any time I do a 'fried whatever,' though, I make a batter. And I make it a spicy batter. And sometimes I dip the thing in the batter, then flour, then more batter.

I don't fry very often, but people are always like, "Holy crud, it's so crispy and flavorful!"

Old 10-06-2011, 01:12 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,884,919 times
i too am going to have tons of green tomatoes. Thanks for the recipes! I was just telling the hubby last night he better learn to like fried green tomatoes! We've never had them.
I'm going to try the tomato/onion/bacon bake too. I was thinking some mushrooms would be good in there too. you could saute them with the onions.

Old 10-16-2011, 02:35 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,023,953 times
I found this link to a recipe for Green Tomato Cake. (If you still have extra green tomatoes)

How to Make Green Tomato Cake Video

Old 10-17-2011, 06:13 PM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times
I just found this one. Use in place of regular mincemeat.

Vegetarian Green-Tomato Mincemeat

3 pounds green tomatoes, thinly sliced
1/4 cup of salt
3 cups of seedless raisins (about 1 large package)
1/4 cup boiling real apple cider vinegar, if desired
2 large apples, chopped and cored but not peeled
1 large orange, chopped and cored but not peeled
1 cup of sugar
1 pint of DARK corn syrup
2 Tablespoons pumpkin pie spice

Spread sliced tomatoes in a non-metal container; sprinkle with salt. Let stand overnight. Rinse, drain and rinse quickly again. If desired, soak the raisins in 1/4 cup of boiling hot cider vinegar for 15 minutes to plump. Chop the tomatoes into small bits. (Use a food processor, it is easier and quicker). In a large non-aluminum kettle, place all of the ingredients, including tomatoes. Cover the pan and let simmer for 40 minutes. Uncover the pan. Allow the mincemeat to boil gently for 1 hour 15 minutes. During this time, stir the ingredients occasionally. Do not burn or the recipe will be ruined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes