Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 04:23 AM

891 posts, read 3,052,937 times

Advertisements

I make a green tomato gratin.
Slice the tomatoes, layer with cooked chopped cooked bacon, sauteed onions, bread crumbs mixed with parmesan cheese (ratio of 1/3 bread crumbs to 2/3 cheese). Top with dollops of butter or some olive oil. Cover and bake for about 35-40 minutes. Remove top and bake 10 more minutes or until lightly browned. salt and pepper to taste.
Bake at 350-375
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 09:40 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexingtongal View Post
I make a green tomato gratin.
Slice the tomatoes, layer with cooked chopped cooked bacon, sauteed onions, bread crumbs mixed with parmesan cheese (ratio of 1/3 bread crumbs to 2/3 cheese). Top with dollops of butter or some olive oil. Cover and bake for about 35-40 minutes. Remove top and bake 10 more minutes or until lightly browned. salt and pepper to taste.
Bake at 350-375
That sounds great!

Old 09-29-2011, 08:21 PM

560 posts, read 849,178 times
Thanks for some good ideas! I'll have to see what we can try with our approximately one million cherry tomatoes. OK - slight exaggeration but the two plants we put in the ground are 6 feet tall and covered! I've never had them this big and prolific before.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:41 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,283,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBookworm View Post
Unless things change very rapidly, it appears that I will have about half a bushel of green tomatoes when first frost rolls around. We have a tomato eating cat (yes, really) so I can't just bring them in and let them ripen indoors.

Neither Ms Midwesternbookworm nor I care for fried green tomatoes. I have a couple of recipes for green tomato pickles, one a variant on the traditional cucumber dill, and the other a south Asian oil pickle. I still have a couple of quarts of the green tomato dills from last season (pickles tend to be in the "out of sight - out of mind" category" I make them, put them in the box that held the empty jars, put the jar on a shelf in the basement, and forget all about them). I also still have some salsa verde that I made with green tomatoes.

SO, for all of the uber-creative cooks out there, what else can I do them? I'd hate to throw them away.
I had the same problem - and you can only eat so much relish and dill pickles right? I just made a FABULOUS green tomato pasta sauce, and it turned out absolutely delicious - but as it is posted in my personal wordpress blog, I will send you the link in a DM.

Old 09-30-2011, 05:09 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Send 'em to me. I love fried green tomatoes.

I would make a green tomato salsa. That would be a fun experiment. Or try making a green tomato pasta sauce.
They are decent in sandwiches, too.

Old 09-30-2011, 05:27 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,283,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Send 'em to me. I love fried green tomatoes.

I would make a green tomato salsa. That would be a fun experiment. Or try making a green tomato pasta sauce.
They are decent in sandwiches, too.
Okay so how exactly do you do fried green tomatoes? Method please!

Old 09-30-2011, 01:48 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,914,168 times
I had fried green tomatoes years ago. If I remember correctly (I was a kid...), it tasted like egg plant. Maybe a green tomato parmesan?

Old 09-30-2011, 02:10 PM

133 posts, read 281,023 times
"Okay so how exactly do you do fried green tomatoes? Method please! "

One of my sisters has a husband who absolutely LOVES fried green tomatoes.

She slices them about 3/8" thick, dredges them in flour, dips them in an egg wash, then drops them back into the flour again, then fries them in oil.

I've also seen cracker crumbs and corn meal used in the second dredging.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:44 PM

389 posts, read 916,616 times
I had an over-abundance of green tomatoes one year and decided to check out my favorite recipe site (allrecipes.com). Sure enough, I found a soup recipe that takes red and green tomatoes, plus I think it was cumin as the main seasoning and also some barley? Anyway, great soup. Everyone liked it. If you haven't checked out that website, I strongly recommend it.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:16 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,024,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBookworm View Post
"Okay so how exactly do you do fried green tomatoes? Method please! "

One of my sisters has a husband who absolutely LOVES fried green tomatoes.

She slices them about 3/8" thick, dredges them in flour, dips them in an egg wash, then drops them back into the flour again, then fries them in oil.

I've also seen cracker crumbs and corn meal used in the second dredging.
I use corn meal instead of flour. I like the added crunch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes