Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2016, 11:24 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,771,315 times

Advertisements

That is what I am afraid of. Going through all the work of making a dish only to have a bitter taste to it or something in the recipe that just doesn't work together and makes the dish taste bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 02:03 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,865,272 times
Too much clove will ALWAYS ruin a dish, and many dishes have been ruined by experimenting with Five Spice powder.

Old 01-19-2016, 03:10 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
There are plenty of combinations that don't go together.

In addition, there are traditional combinations for regional food. If you go too far outside those traditional seasonings, your dish won't be authentic for the region.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:07 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,766,301 times
Most Americans don't like too much in the way of "warming spices". Those being cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves... probably several others.

Personally I love a pork roast cooked with a dry rub including cloves. But it's too strong for the wife.

I find it really hard to learn about flavors from American food... because in the grand scheme of things our food is really bland. We use so little of ANY spice (except salt? ) that it's hard for somebody like me to even taste what one spice or another is actually doing in American food. Lately I've been trying new foods like Indian and Thai food- and OMFG they use a ton of spices .

And the Indians in particular use the craziest spice combinations I've ever come across. Have you ever wondered how mint, cumin, and cilantro would taste like in one dish? Well Indian food has it... and a lot more. I think it's really improved my understanding of how different spices interact just by trying these foods from elsewhere that use a TON of spices.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:31 AM

5,323 posts, read 3,206,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post

I find it really hard to learn about flavors from American food... because in the grand scheme of things our food is really bland. We use so little of ANY spice (except salt? ) that it's hard for somebody like me to even taste what one spice or another is actually doing in American food.
I think, and this is going to come out as not PC - but that's not my intent, here in the US we are fortunate to have enough high quality food that little spice is needed. In my opinion, spicing high quality meats and vegetables takes away from the actual flavor.

I think we can agree that French cuisine is the pinnacle of the culinary world, and there they are not hiding their food behind spices.

To use your example of Indian food - whether it's tofu, chicken or mixed vegetables, at the end of the day you're eating curry. The main component isn't the shining star, as much as the spice is.

I'll take a well seasoned, high quality vegetable and protein over an over-spiced mystery any day. And that's not knocking Indian food (which I eat with my Indian friends from time to time), I just like the main component to be the star of the show.

Old 01-20-2016, 12:12 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,771,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
There are plenty of combinations that don't go together.

In addition, there are traditional combinations for regional food. If you go too far outside those traditional seasonings, your dish won't be authentic for the region.
What are some spices that don't go together. Or maybe you have a link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes