U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2011, 03:34 PM

1,600 posts, read 2,843,660 times

Advertisements

Beef Stew with Carmelized Onions and Burgandy:
1/4 cup olive oil
2 1/2 lbs stew meat
flour in a plastic bag
1 1/2 lbs Walla Walla Sweet Onions
1 Tbs butter
2 tsps sugar
2 Tbs flour
1 1/2 tsps dried thyme
3 carrots sliced
1 bottle good Burgandy. (Remember, Emeril says 'don't cook with a wine you wouldn't drink)
1 cup beef stock
1 Tbs tomato paste
salt, pepper to taste

Heat oil in heavy cast iron pot.
Shake meat in batches in flour that's in the plastic bag.
Put in pot. Cook on all sides 5-7 min. Put aside on plate.

Add onions and butter in pot, stir over high heat about 5 min. Sprinkle in sugar. Reduce heat, stir occasionally for 15 min. until golden brown. Add flour, thyme, and carrots. Raise heat to high, stir for 1 min. Sir in 1/2 bottle of Burgandy. Let it come to a boil. Stir in beef stock and tomato paste. Return to boil.

Return meat to pot. let the liquid come to boil. Cover pot, reduce stew to simmer unil meat is tender and sauce is slightly thickened. 1 1/2 -2 hrs. Add salt, pepper to taste.
Serve with remaining 1/2 bottle of Burgandy. Infact, you may want to get another bottle of great Burgandy just to serve with the stew.

My wife and I ate dinner at an expensive French Resturant. She ordered Boeuf a Vin. I thought mine was better.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 04:01 PM

10,135 posts, read 24,480,801 times
^^^^This right here is a good recipe. I don't usually like recipes but beef stew is something you gotta follow a plan. This is a good plan.

Old 10-02-2011, 03:07 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,237,536 times
I am going to try this one once the weather turns cooler. Thanks!!

Old 10-05-2011, 10:45 AM

5,065 posts, read 14,420,913 times
That sounds like a good variation of beef stew, I'll have to try it soon. Thanks! But it's interesting, I just noticed that there are no potatoes in it. I'd be tempted to throw some in.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:49 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,237,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by House4kids View Post
I am going to try this one once the weather turns cooler. Thanks!!
Well, Cooler weather came in like a lion today - I might make this tomorrow!!!

Old 10-06-2011, 03:29 PM

10,135 posts, read 24,480,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
That sounds like a good variation of beef stew, I'll have to try it soon. Thanks! But it's interesting, I just noticed that there are no potatoes in it. I'd be tempted to throw some in.
May I suggest that you serve the potatoes separately? I find they make the beef gravy a little pasty and too thick. I like boiled new potatoes boiled with a good bit of sea salt, then I break them open on the dinner plates and pour the gravy over them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes