U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2011, 11:10 AM

5,045 posts, read 6,088,238 times

Advertisements

We often have bread leftover that is not longer as good as fresh bread the next day. Would like to use it to make bread crumbs for various recipes. Does anyone know an easy way to make bread crumbs out of such leftover? It's usually from long french baguette. Should we leave the bread in the air to dry out completely before making it? The process has to be as easy as possible. Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 11:22 AM

6,488 posts, read 7,456,126 times
I just break it up in to smaller pieces and run it through my mini food processor.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:27 AM

4,898 posts, read 5,929,918 times
Whether to dry or not, depends on what your end use will be. If you want a crunchy topping then dry it but if you are doing to put on top of a casserole then don't as it will dry in the oven. Also, if you are going to store it after it goes through the blender, use dry crumbs so it won't mold and place in an air tight jar or bag.

Old 10-02-2011, 01:31 PM

5,045 posts, read 6,088,238 times
Thanks. Mainly it's for coating meat or fish. Will it work if just leave the bread in the air for a day or two when it gets dried, then crush it?

Old 10-02-2011, 06:56 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 7,396,111 times
I would lightly toast it in the oven on a baking tray.
Temp @ about 250°. Place slices on sheet (slice long ways, or on a diagonal) on middle rack of oven.
Check after 10 minutes or so. If it's golden brown, turn, repeat.
If not, leave in alittle longer, checking every couple of minutes.
You want to make sure the interior of each piece is also dried.
Let cool, the crush either by placing pieces in a tea towel and using a rolling pin, or empty bottle of wine to crush.
Or if you have a cuisinart, blender - but that may grind them too fine-so be careful, or even an electric chopper, using pulser, checking for courseness.

Store in airtight container.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:32 PM

8,874 posts, read 14,375,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
I just break it up in to smaller pieces and run it through my mini food processor.
Fresh breadcrumbs are the best use I've found for my mini. It doesn't really chop vegetables all that well. My favorite breadcrumbs are made from what my supermarket calls potato bread. Sometimes they have small loaves for $1 and I pulse the whole thing.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:18 AM

1,009 posts, read 3,749,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
We often have bread leftover that is not longer as good as fresh bread the next day. Would like to use it to make bread crumbs for various recipes. Does anyone know an easy way to make bread crumbs out of such leftover?
VitaMix blender video.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:37 PM

40,270 posts, read 49,782,858 times
I usually buy dry bread crumbs, but I save odds and ends of bread in a baggy in the freezer to make the fresh bread crumbs that I use for certain recipes. Then I put it into my mini chopper to crumb it up.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:31 PM

2,898 posts, read 5,530,415 times
My mum used to make breadcrumbs by putting stale/leftover bread on a cookie tray in the oven overnight. If you've a gas oven, the pilot light is enough to make it crunchy. BTW, it's a great way to de-stale pretzles, cookies, chips, as well, rather than tossing them.

Then she would drop the bread into a plastic/paper bag, place it flat on the table & have us kids roll over it with wooden rolling pins... or... place small amounts in a blender... or... grind it in a manual meat grinder... this was pre food processor days.

She'd place crumbs in empty mayo jars, some pre-seasoned, others plain. I love that you're doing this rather than purchasing them. I love to save money!

Old 10-09-2011, 08:20 AM

1,891 posts, read 2,369,651 times
Make your own bread. One-day or two-day old bread make wonderful breadcrumbs.

Or buy real bread from a bakery or the bakery section of the grocery store.

Supermarket bread is worthless. Nothing but air. They are only good for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or