Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 05:18 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,686,307 times

Advertisements

I've made braised cabbage before with green cabbage, red apples, and sliced onions, but I made this recipe recently and it was so good that I wanted to share.

German Red Cabbage Recipe - Allrecipes.com

I served it alongside a pork roast, and it was delicious! The only thing I had to change was to use a little ground allspice instead of whole because that's all I had on hand.

How do you like your cabbage? I've tried to make stuffed cabbage but had mediocre results. I love braising it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 05:20 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,256,119 times
Funny you should mention cabbage...I'm having a party in December and I'm actually going to serve cabbage...lol! I am going to do traditional boiling with bits of smoked turkey in it with onions and peppers.

I like cabbage sauteed....the best cabbage I ever had was at a vegetarian creole restaurant in the heart of Memphis, TN called DejaVu. Their cabbages is grilled (I don't know how that is done) but it was onions and spices in it....oh man, I am tasting it now!!!

Old 11-03-2011, 06:09 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,111,453 times
Good find. Nice color too. Would make a pretty side-dish for Thanksgiving.

I make a white bean and (green) cabbage soup. I do add vinegar near the end. Cabbage seems to love vinegar. I top it with sour cream and a bit of smokey paprika.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:21 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,686,307 times
Bean and cabbage soup! You're sleeping on the couch, Plaid.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:26 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,465,092 times
I make my usual sauteed pork chops and bacon. Then, when the dish is about done, I cover it with shredded cabbage, toss in the bacon and pork fat, and cover for about 15min at low heat.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjulia View Post
bean and cabbage soup! You're sleeping on the couch, plaid.
That's why everyone in the household has to eat it. Except the dog.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:46 PM

625 posts, read 1,881,655 times
Put about 1/2" - 3/4" water in a large kettle. Stir in about 1/4 cup dark brown sugar. Slice a ring of smoked beef sausage into 1/4" - 1/2" slices & put in the kettle. Slice a med. head of cabbage & dump on top of the sausage. Add a little salt & pepper. Cook until the cabbage is tender. Stir occasionally toward the end so all cabbage gets coated with the smoky sweet juice.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:46 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,977,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKLO View Post
.....Their cabbages is grilled (I don't know how that is done) but it was onions and spices in it....oh man, I am tasting it now!!!
My mom used to grill cabbage as well. Grilled pork chops or country ribs, some grilled cabbage, with a spinach salad........awesome.

I am trying to remember how she did it..........

slices of cabbage about an inch to an inch and a half thick, brush on some sesame oil, some garlic powder, onion powder, caraway seeds, salt and pepper, and sesame seeds.......oh yeah, brush some white wine vinegar on it first. Grill on medium until you get nice black grill marks on it, turn it and grill the other side. repeat every thing and turn it twice more....get those nice cross grill marks on it. should be pretty well cooked on the outside and a bit more done than al dente in the middle.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
My mom used to grill cabbage as well. Grilled pork chops or country ribs, some grilled cabbage, with a spinach salad........awesome.

I am trying to remember how she did it..........

slices of cabbage about an inch to an inch and a half thick, brush on some sesame oil, some garlic powder, onion powder, caraway seeds, salt and pepper, and sesame seeds.......oh yeah, brush some white wine vinegar on it first. Grill on medium until you get nice black grill marks on it, turn it and grill the other side. repeat every thing and turn it twice more....get those nice cross grill marks on it. should be pretty well cooked on the outside and a bit more done than al dente in the middle.
The caraway and the vinegar makes me think of sort of a deconstructed sauerkraut....only better! Imagine this cooked over apple wood. Perhaps even grill some apples along side?

Old 11-04-2011, 08:15 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,350,704 times
I used to make a scalloped cabbage, in the oven, with evaporated milk, bread crumb/cheese topping. Very yummy.

One of my fav things, is a "deconstructed" cabbage rolls, layering shredded cabbage, hamburger, rice, sauce in the crockpot, and letting that cook all day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes