Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 02:22 PM

7,636 posts, read 8,707,635 times

Advertisements

Any recipes to share with? Is there a way to cook kale or similar vegetables such as collard greens, Swiss chard, in a delicious way? That means not just steaming or boiling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 02:49 PM

986 posts, read 1,666,301 times
I sautee mine in olive oil, with a little garlic and salt. Mmmmm...

Old 11-08-2011, 03:59 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times
Try roasting them in the oven for "kale chips".

Tuscan Kale Chips: Recipe : bonappetit.com

Also, here's my go-to recipe for kale, collards or other greens:

//www.city-data.com/forum/10245659-post7.html

Old 11-08-2011, 07:33 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,170 times
MRBookworm made this one last summer and we liked it a whole lot. It makes a lot, though, just so you know; a good choice for a big family, maybe not so much for just one or two people, unless you want to eat it for days afterward.

Sausage, Kale, and Lentil Soup
Ingredients
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 pound hot sausage, bulk or casing removed
1 onion, chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped, leafy tops reserved
1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
1 large Idaho (russet) potato, peeled and chopped into small dice
1 Fresno or Holland chile pepper, thinly sliced or finely chopped
2 sprigs fresh rosemary, leaves picked and finely chopped
2 large cloves garlic, chopped or sliced
1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 bundle Tuscan, black, or dinosaur kale, stemmed and very thinly sliced
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 cup white wine
Freshly grated nutmeg
1 3/4 cups lentils
4 cups chicken stock
2 cups water

Directions
In a soup pot or large Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil. Add the sausage, breaking it into pieces, and cook until lightly brown. Add the onions, celery, carrots, potato, chile pepper, rosemary, garlic, cumin, salt, and pepper, and cook to soften, 8 to10 minutes.

Wilt in the kale, and season the kale leaves with a little freshly grated nutmeg. Stir in the tomato paste for 30 seconds, then add white wine. Cook to reduce by 1/2 and stir in the lentils, stock, and water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and simmer the soup until the lentils are tender, about 35-45 minutes. Serve immediately or cool, store, and reheat. Serve with chopped celery greens, to garnish.

He developed a variant on that without the lentils and using Italian sausage that is also excellent. I don't find it in the recipes folder on my computer, so I'll poke him in the morning to write it up.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:29 PM

7,636 posts, read 8,707,635 times
Thanks a lot. Will definitely try some of these...

Old 11-09-2011, 09:45 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,284,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
Any recipes to share with? Is there a way to cook kale or similar vegetables such as collard greens, Swiss chard, in a delicious way? That means not just steaming or boiling.
More recipes here - including another FABULOUS soup recipe.

//www.city-data.com/forum/veget...es-please.html

Old 11-09-2011, 04:09 PM

133 posts, read 281,057 times
Default RE: How to make tasty dish with Kale?

This is another "Feed a large family" kale soup

1 lb hot Italian Sausage links
1 qt chicken broth
3-5 potatoes (depending on size) diced
1/2 cup diced onions (1 medium)
1 bunch of kale, stemmed and chopped fine
1 cup milk or cream
Salt and pepper to taste

Brown links, and slice. Put link slices, broth, onions and potatoes into a pan.
Bring to boil, reduce to simmer, and let cook until potatoes are tender (15-20 minutes)

Add kale, and let simmer for another 10 minutes.
Taste and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper

Add milk or cream, bring back to simmer and serve.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:20 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
I LOVE the taste, texture and color of these greens and one of my favorite recipes which I often served in my restaurant to accolades is this:

In a large pan, sautée finely chopped white onions in butter with a touch of olive oil (or, better, ghee - or bacon fat) until almost transparent, add crushed garlic and then the chopped, rinsed but not completely dried greens. Cover pan and lower heat for a few minutes until the greens start to wilt. Roughly chop canned pimientos, add to the mix with a little of the can juices, stir to mix and serve.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:58 PM

17,379 posts, read 16,518,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grneyedmustang View Post
I sautee mine in olive oil, with a little garlic and salt. Mmmmm...
I do this, too. Sometimes I cook up a little bacon and crumble it in - yum.

Old 11-11-2011, 02:59 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,433,844 times
You can make Colcannon with kale instead of cabbage ...
1 pound potatoes -- sliced
2 medium parsnips -- peeled, sliced
2 medium leeks
1 cup milk
1 pound kale
1/2 teaspoon mace
2 dashes garlic powder -- or to taste
1 dash salt
1 dash black pepper
2 tablespoons butter
1 bunch parsley

Cook the potatoes and parsnips in water until tender. While these are cooking, chop leeks (greens as well as whites) and simmer in the milk until soft. Next, cook the kale and have warm and well chopped.

Drain the potatoes, season with mace, garlic, salt and pepper, and beat well. Add the cooked leeks and milk (be careful not to break down the leeks too much).

Blend in the kale and butter. The texture should be like a smooth-buttery potato with pieces of leek and kale. Garnish with parsley.

Crock pot - can also be made by cooking layered vegetables, starting with potatoes, in a slow-cooker. Drain vegetables, blend with milk and butter as above and garnish with parsley.

Or a hearty vegetable soup (published in the New York Daily News, 01-05-2000) ...
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion -- chopped
4 large garlic cloves -- minced
3 stalks celery -- chopped
1 1/2 quarts chicken stock
1 can chopped tomatoes - (28 oz) -- with juice
3 medium carrots -- chopped
2 medium potatoes -- diced
1 tablespoon mixed herbs - (to 2 tbspns), such as basil, thyme, marjoram, etc.
1 can beans of your choice -- drained, rinsed
6 cups greens, such as spinach and/or kale, collards, mustard, dandelion, or escarole
1/4 cup chopped parsley
Salt -- to taste
black pepper -- to taste

In a large soup pot, add oil and cook onions, garlic and celery over medium heat until onions are soft. Add stock and tomatoes, bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.

Add carrots, potatoes, herbs and beans and cook till carrots and potatoes are just tender, about 15 minutes.

Add greens and parsley and cook till greens are tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

You can add just about anything to this soup and it will be fine -- different vegetables like peas (frozen or fresh), cooked meats (sausage, ham, chicken, steak or pork, etc.), tofu cubes, pasta. It's up to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes