Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 07:24 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times

Advertisements

It's getting to be that time of year, again.

I'm looking for good homemade soup/cookie/bread/drink mixes, spiced nut or candy recipes, rubs and spice concoctions to give out as Christmas gifts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 07:46 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
what a great idea.

Here are a couple I am using: 1-herb enfused vinegar. Just decide what herbs you want to use: I did some with cilantro, some with garlic, and a few others. All you have to do is put the herbs in the vinegar (white vinegar is a little to strong by the way) enfuse them in large jars for a couple of weeks. Then strain them and put the vinegar into wine bottle with caps not corks. Another one I love is coconut or peanut butter bons bons. They are pretty, taste great and make wonderful gifts.

Nita

Old 11-09-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
what a great idea.

Here are a couple I am using: 1-herb enfused vinegar. Just decide what herbs you want to use: I did some with cilantro, some with garlic, and a few others. All you have to do is put the herbs in the vinegar (white vinegar is a little to strong by the way) enfuse them in large jars for a couple of weeks. Then strain them and put the vinegar into wine bottle with caps not corks. Another one I love is coconut or peanut butter bons bons. They are pretty, taste great and make wonderful gifts.

Nita
Those are great ideas. I have a few questions. Where do you get the caps for the wine bottles? Also, do you include recipe cards with your enfused vinegar gifts or do you just sprinkle the enfused vinegar on salads?

Coconut and peanut bon bons sound - yum!

Where can I find the recipes?

Old 11-09-2011, 08:15 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times
Cappuccino Mix
1 cup instant coffee creamer
2/3 cup instant coffee
1 cup instant chocolate drink mix
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
Combine ingredients in airtight container. To make: 2 Tablespoons mix with 3/4 cup hot water and a shot of brandy.

Swiss Mocha Mix
Mix in blender:
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup instant coffee
1-1/4 cup dry creamer
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
Combine ingredients in airtight container. To make: 1 Tablespoon mix with 3/4 cup hot water and a shot of brandy.

I like brandy

Old 11-10-2011, 04:46 AM

859 posts, read 2,148,010 times
Anyone got any for people who are Diabetics? I have a Aunt who this year was diagnosed and now is on Meds for it, but I would still like to make a gift basket for her.....

Old 11-10-2011, 06:57 AM

Those coffee and mocha mixes sound really good - especially with a shot (or two) of brandy mixed in.

Jasmin71 - I'll bet those coffee and mocha mixes could be easily adapted for a diabetic - just use splenda instead of the sugar and a no sugar chocolate drink mix. The enfused vinegar would be fine for a diabetic as long as you stick to herbs and don't add in any sugar. I'll bet there are spiced nut and soup recipes that would be good for diabetics, too.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:24 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmin71 View Post
Anyone got any for people who are Diabetics? I have a Aunt who this year was diagnosed and now is on Meds for it, but I would still like to make a gift basket for her.....
Think savory, not sweet. Nuts, dry rubs, spice mixes, home-made cheese balls... OK, I threw one sweet one in here ...

Toasted Pecans
4 cups pecan halves
1/2 cup butter
4 teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce
1 tablespoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco Sauce
Pour nuts in a large baking pan spreading them out evenly.
Melt butter a saucepan and add the spices.
Mix well and drizzle sauce over the pecans.
Stir pecans just a little to make sure they are completely coated and put them in a preheated 300 degree oven for 30 minutes.
Stir them periodically to make sure they toast uniformly.
After you remove them from the oven pour them onto some paper towels so that any excess butter can be absorbed
Keep them fresh by storing them in the airtight container.

Hot Spiced Nuts
3 cups nuts -- (pecans, walnuts, and/or macadamia nuts in any combination)
3 Tbl butter -- melted
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp season salt
1 1/2 tsps hot sauce
Place nuts in a quart size Ziploc-type bag. Add spices to melted butter, then pour over nuts. Close bag and rub nuts in mixture, coating evenly. Pour nuts onto a baking sheet in a single layer and bake at 250º for 1 hr, stirring every 20 min. Let cool.

Curried Pecans
1 lb. pecan halves
1 Tbsp. melted butter -- (1 to 2)
1 Tbsp. curry powder -- (1 to 2)
Salt to taste
Toss the butter, pecan halves, and curry powder until thoroughly mixed. Use just enough butter to coat the nuts very lightly. Adjust the amount of curry powder. Spread on a jelly roll pan in a single layer and bake at 350° for 10 to 15 minutes, until the nuts become aromatic. Add salt after removing from oven.

Cajun Trail Mix
1/2 cup almonds -- whole, raw
1/2 cup pecan halves
1/2 cup walnuts -- halves
1/4 cup sunflower seeds -- unsalted shelled
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds, roasted -- unsalted shelled
2 tablespoons canola oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon chili powder -- or to taste
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
2 pinches cayenne pepper -- or to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients and toss well to coat.
Spread the nuts in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake, shaking them every few minutes, until toasted and fragrant, about 15 minutes. Let the nuts cool and store in an airtight container.
(I usually double the recipe)

Crock pot Sweet Hot Nuts
1 cup cashews
1 cup toasted almonds
1 cup pecan halves
1 cup hazelnuts -- toasted and skins removed
1/2 cup splenda -- (sugar)
1/3 cup melted butter
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground clove
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Place nuts in crock pot. Mix the other ingredients and toss with nuts
Cook on low for 2 hours, stirring after 1 hour.
Stir and spread on buttered foil, cool 1 hour.
Store in covered container at room temperature for up to 3 weeks.

Fajita Mix
4 tbsps chili powder
2 tbsps cumin
2 tsps oregano
2 tsps garlic salt
Mix all and put in plastic storage container.
Use as needed

Onion Soup Mix - Dried Like Lipton
4 teaspoons beef bouillon -- chicken bouillon or vegetable bouillon granules -- or to taste, OR 4 to 6 beef, vegetable or chicken bouillon cubes -- or to taste
8 teaspoons dried onion -- minced
1 teaspoon onion powder
Makes the equivalent of one packet of onion soup mix. Combine all ingredients. Store in an airtight container.

Super Salad Seasoning Mix
2 c parmesan cheese -- grated
1/2 c sesame seeds
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1 tbsp dried onion -- minced
2 tbsps parsley -- flakes
1/2 tsp dried dill weed
2 tbsps poppy seeds
3 tbsps celery seeds
2 tsps paprika
1/2 tsp black pepper
Original recipe had 2 teaspoons salt. Add to taste
Combine all ingredients. Put in air-tight container. Store in cool dry place. Use within 3-4 months. Uses - salad topper, potato topper, toasted bread topper, potatoe salad, macaroni salad, egg salad
Dip - 2 Tablespoons with 8 ounces sour cream

Old 11-12-2011, 12:34 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,994,639 times
Homemade jam. Pick something exotic - I make jalepeno jam. Recipes basic ones on line.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:28 PM

8,578 posts, read 7,071,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
It's getting to be that time of year, again.

I'm looking for good homemade soup/cookie/bread/drink mixes, spiced nut or candy recipes, rubs and spice concoctions to give out as Christmas gifts.
I just got a new recipe for an all-purpose rub. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm willing to share. What a great idea about making some up for Christmas gifts! I'm going to have to try that.

All Purpose Rub
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
2 tsp ground pepper
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp dry mustard
2 tsp celery seed
2 tsp packed brown sugar
1-1/4 tsp salt

Store rub in glass jar with tight-fitting lid. It will keep for up to three months.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:36 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,808,426 times
I love this cranberry bread. It can be baked, wrapped, and shipped.

Cranberry Bread

This thick batter makes a dense bread that's great toasted and served with butter. When cranberries are available, throw a few bags in your freezer to make this bread year-round. We like it prepared with dried cranberries too.

Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup sugar
1 egg, well beaten
2 tablespoons melted butter
2 tablespoons hot water
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup grated orange rind
1 cup fresh or dried cranberries
1/2 cup chopped nuts

Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 325F. Grease a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan or 3 mini loaf pans.
2. Combine flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Add sugar, egg, butter, hot water, orange juice and grated orange rind; stir until moistened. Fold in berries and nuts. Spoon into pan and bake 50 minutes (or 35 minutes for mini loaves). Cool; wrap and refrigerate or freeze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes