U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 07:32 PM

527 posts, read 2,112,640 times

Advertisements

Thanks for such an overwhelming response. I am so so happy. Ok i so i just has been to walmart and went to the coffee maker section and there are indeed sub 20$ coffee makers. I was not really able to find any sort of filter but most were replacement ones.

@elnina
Can you tell me where i can get the one mentioned ??
Any online link ??
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 07:18 AM

42,661 posts, read 83,302,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
shop towels are fine for camping - but this is a person's home and having stained and wet shop towels hanging around one's kitchen is not very appetizing.
Your home is a lot bigger than your tent or your camper. It shouldn't take too much imagination to figure out a place where you can put a wet rag. How about over the shower bar, next to your washed-out underwear? In the bathroom, you don't need to worry about things being "appetizing".

I hesitated to suggest the way I make coffee, which is good enough. I just bring the water to a boil in a saucepan, throw in the ground coffee, cover it, and wait a few minutes. Tap on the side of the saucepan to make sure floating grounds sink, then carefully pour off the brewed coffee without disturbing the bottom sludge. Save the grounds in the saucepan all day, so if you want another cup of coffee later, you can add a cup of water and bring it back to a boil.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:23 AM

8,569 posts, read 17,313,294 times
https://shop.melitta.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=64+007&Cat=

[CENTER][/CENTER]

Price is $2.99

Old 11-14-2011, 07:18 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,377,913 times
My grandparents boiled there coffee, then put a coffee strainer over the coffee cup and poured it in the cups. You could do the same with a large strainer into a bowl or after the coffee stops boiling, let it settle for a few minutes and ladle it into a cup.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:15 PM

3,455 posts, read 6,835,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Your home is a lot bigger than your tent or your camper. It shouldn't take too much imagination to figure out a place where you can put a wet rag. How about over the shower bar, next to your washed-out underwear? In the bathroom, you don't need to worry about things being "appetizing".

I hesitated to suggest the way I make coffee, which is good enough. I just bring the water to a boil in a saucepan, throw in the ground coffee, cover it, and wait a few minutes. Tap on the side of the saucepan to make sure floating grounds sink, then carefully pour off the brewed coffee without disturbing the bottom sludge. Save the grounds in the saucepan all day, so if you want another cup of coffee later, you can add a cup of water and bring it back to a boil.
Coffee should never be allowed to boil...and reusing coffee grounds results in bitter and weak tasting cup of coffee.

However, I say this as somewhat of a "coffee snob"...

Old 11-14-2011, 10:29 PM

54,836 posts, read 76,462,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rak007 View Post
Thanks for such an overwhelming response. I am so so happy. Ok i so i just has been to walmart and went to the coffee maker section and there are indeed sub 20$ coffee makers. I was not really able to find any sort of filter but most were replacement ones.

@elnina
Can you tell me where i can get the one mentioned ??
Any online link ??
http://www.amazon.com/Medelco-Cone-P.../dp/B000TCZRKW
better yet: Buy.com - Medelco #GF214B #4 8-12C Coffee Filter free shipping
Clothing, Toys, Electronics, Jewelry, Jaclyn Smith - Kmart.com

but pretty much everywhere, where they sell coffee or coffee makers.
its called permanent coffee filter, or golden coffee filter.
Sears, K-Mart, your local grocery store...

You can make tea in it too

Old 11-14-2011, 10:40 PM

54,836 posts, read 76,462,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Coffee should never be allowed to boil...and reusing coffee grounds results in bitter and weak tasting cup of coffee.

However, I say this as somewhat of a "coffee snob"...
Excuse me??
Without doubt, coffee is more often boiled in its preparation than treated in any other way.
Turkish coffee (aka Greek coffee, Arabic coffee, etc.), a very early method of making coffee, is used in the Middle East, North Africa, East Africa, Turkey, Greece, the Balkans, North Europe and Russia. Very finely ground coffee, optionally sugar, and water are placed in a narrow-topped pot, and brought to the boil then immediately removed from the heat. It may be very briefly brought to the boil two or three times.
That coffee sure taste different than the brown water people here drink gallon wise.

BOILED COFFEE (http://www.namevisit.com/demos/aaallaboutfruitsdesserts/boiled.html - broken link)

Last edited by elnina; 11-14-2011 at 11:17 PM..

Old 11-14-2011, 11:47 PM

3,455 posts, read 6,835,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Excuse me??
Without doubt, coffee is more often boiled in its preparation than treated in any other way.
Turkish coffee (aka Greek coffee, Arabic coffee, etc.), a very early method of making coffee, is used in the Middle East, North Africa, East Africa, Turkey, Greece, the Balkans, North Europe and Russia. Very finely ground coffee, optionally sugar, and water are placed in a narrow-topped pot, and brought to the boil then immediately removed from the heat. It may be very briefly brought to the boil two or three times.
That coffee sure taste different than the brown water people here drink gallon wise.

BOILED COFFEE (http://www.namevisit.com/demos/aaallaboutfruitsdesserts/boiled.html - broken link)
Well excuse me for voicing my opinion.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:08 PM

527 posts, read 2,112,640 times
Can i do this.....

1. Take water in a vessel and bring it to boil.
2. Add the grounded coffee in the vessel and let it boil for some more time.
3. Use a strainer and pour the boiled coffee in my cup
4. Add hot milk as per my taste ?? (yes milk is necessary, don't like black coffee)

PS: The steps 1 and 2 above can be combined if needed, put coffee powder in vessel and pour water in it and bring this mix to boil ?

Old 11-16-2011, 01:46 PM

10,135 posts, read 26,306,136 times
I think that you will not want the coffee water mix to boil after you have added the coffee. Its ok to put the ground coffee into the boiling water but just turn it off so that it does not continue to boil. Boiled coffee tastes a little flat because all that coffee aroma you smell while it is boiling are aromatic esters in the coffee that are being boiled away. Like boiling your hot toddy.

You can get a good cup of coffee by adding grounds to boiling water and stirring a little and letting it steep for about 3-5 minutes.

And, if you have never tried it, try using distilled demineralized water. It makes quite a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes