U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2020, 08:34 AM

11,248 posts, read 7,668,878 times

Advertisements

Put coffee in bottom of a small pot, fill with water.

Boil till it's coffee, strain off the grounds.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2020, 10:09 AM

108,855 posts, read 9,204,682 times
Mix coffee with boiling water, use a tea strainer & pour into your cup. I have done this when camping.

eta: but a better idea is to run to the store & buy a new one.

Old 09-21-2020, 10:53 AM

30,585 posts, read 22,762,658 times
Yeah, morning coffee is too important nit to have a decent way to make dependably good coffee.

If I had to do without a coffee maker, I’d buy a good brand of instant and use that, and I would pay attention to water temp. And I’d make the coffee stronger than instructions recommended.

Old 09-21-2020, 04:22 PM

3,940 posts, read 2,049,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Put coffee in bottom of a small pot, fill with water.

Boil till it's coffee, strain off the grounds.
Yes, that’s cowboy coffee, sometimes they skip the strainer and just let the pot settle a bit between pours. Gets interesting towards the end of the batch.

Old 09-21-2020, 07:47 PM

5,342 posts, read 5,632,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Yes, that’s cowboy coffee, sometimes they skip the strainer and just let the pot settle a bit between pours. Gets interesting towards the end of the batch.
I male tea using loose leaves and was pouring it this morning while I was on a conference call. Apparently I can't talk and pour tea at the same time because I forgot to use the strainer and didn't even notice until I had a mouthful of leaves and spluttering to explain. Yes, "interesting"!

Old 09-21-2020, 08:03 PM

10,278 posts, read 16,021,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FierceKaia View Post
I use a #2 filter with my pour over cone, pour boiling water into filter lined cone that has the coffee grounds and cinnamon. When cup has the amount of coffee you want to drink, you throw the filter away, rinse out the cone, stir coffee, drink!

You could use a coffee filter, tie off the filter and brew it like you were brewing tea.
Never done this but sounds pretty self explanatory,right?

You could use a very fine mesh strainer and cheesecloth or even a coffee filter!
Proceed the same as the pour over method!
Or you could go to the store and buy coffee bags. They're just like tea bags but with (Duh, kygman!) coffee. My wife started using them on camping trips and started keeping some around the house after the power went out during the ice storm 11 years ago.

Just put it in the cup of hot water and let it set till it's the right "darkness" as my wife says. She doesn't like hers real strong so she can get two cups of coffee from one bag. I know Maxwell House and Folgers have them.

https://www.amazon.com/Folgers-Coffe...-6&tag=mh0b-20

Old 09-22-2020, 02:31 AM

11,657 posts, read 5,798,480 times
Pour over for me either coldbrew of hot water.
Cold brew. Its not as bitter or acid. You can heat coffee after the cold brew.
I use a coffee funnel and filter paper for either hot or cold brew. I always use a measuring scoop and my coffee cup for brew uniformity.

Old 09-22-2020, 10:34 AM

39,985 posts, read 70,679,772 times
You can boil it. A senior citizen friend of mine swears by boiled coffee.

You can use the pour-over method (I use a Chemex pot; others are Melitta, Bodum, etc.). A tea strainer would work for a single cup, too.

You can cold brew it.

You can make your own "coffee bag" as described above, using a tea ball and adding your own coffee.

I haven't used an electric coffee maker for ages.

Old 09-22-2020, 10:39 AM

5,892 posts, read 3,050,650 times
This is what I choose to use every morning and I’m a true coffee lover, a French Press and it cost all of $13❗️

Last edited by Rickcin; 11-23-2020 at 08:32 AM..

Old 09-22-2020, 10:43 AM

26,071 posts, read 26,179,852 times
I only had an electric coffee maker for a few years in my entire life. A one cup coffee maker.

Ever since then, I've used a simple Melitta. I have one ceramic and one plastic in case one of them is dirty.

Put melitta over cup, insert paper filter, add ground coffee, pour boiling water. It drips through quite nicely.

Fast, simple, minimum of cleaning (you throw the filter away or compost it) takes up no space on countertop and is just plain simple. There's a good example of it on the previous page.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes