U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 02:59 PM

527 posts, read 2,101,087 times

Advertisements

We have been always instant coffee drinker (nescafe etc) and have never had any sort of coffee brewing machine or anything at our home. But recently we got couple of Lbs of coffee powder and it is not instant but needs to be brewed i guess, using a coffee machine.
How do we brew this coffee without using a coffee maker (since we don't have one). Or let me rephrase it....How do we enjoy this coffee without having a coffee maker ?
Not sure if it makes any difference but we have our coffee with milk and do not have black coffee.

Last edited by rak007; 11-09-2011 at 03:14 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 03:08 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,144,137 times
I think you could put it in filters and pour hot/boiing water over it, but it could be a messy affair.

You can buy a small coffee maker for under $20 bucks I should think......

Old 11-09-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
I think you could put it in filters and pour hot/boiing water over it, but it could be a messy affair.

You can buy a small coffee maker for under $20 bucks I should think......

Or can i ...under 20 bucks ???
Can you point me to something ? Nothing fancy needed, just a basic coffee maker.

But if there is a way to make coffee without a coffee maker it would be also good.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:13 PM

32,736 posts, read 76,748,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
Quote:
The pour-over method dates back 102 years when Melitta Bentz devised a paper filter, set it in a brass cup in which she had punched holes, and filled it with ground coffee. She then poured water over the grounds, and coffee – clean and clear – dripped into a drinking cup below. Long called the drip method, her way of making coffee is now dubbed “the pour-over”.
The original Melitta

A wire strainer w/ filter over a Pyrex measuring cup works well too.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:23 PM

Any idea if the following thing will work as advertised ?

http://www.amazon.com/Perma-Brew-One...0876758&sr=1-2

Old 11-09-2011, 03:30 PM

5,019 posts, read 13,633,989 times
I think what you are looking for is "Cowboy Coffee".

Here's a quick tutorial:

Cowboy Coffee, Backpacker Style (INeedCoffee.com)

If you decide to buy something for under $20 I recommend a French press. You can pick one up at Target for ~$20, or if you have a TJ Maxx or Homegoods store check there. They often have lovely French presses for ~10-15 dollars.

It's super simple (put the grounds in, pour almost boiling water, wait 4 minutes....then "press" the plunger. Great coffee. Simple. Nothing to break (unless you are clumsy with the glass carafe).

Old 11-09-2011, 03:36 PM

5,852 posts, read 12,946,173 times
May be NOT what you like to do, but interesting ?

In Indonesia, due to the fact that in the old days, all you could do was *boil* water, and had no access to a decent coffee maker, they serve a cup of coffee, called *kopie tubruk*.

Just a cup, then two teaspoons of ground coffee in the cup and pour boiling (important) hot water over it. Let it brew for a few minutes.

Add a bit of sugar or milk, and that was all there was to it. Often, people add sweetened condensed milk ...
When you do so, the name changes to: *kopie susu*.

Even today, it is still quite popular.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:42 PM

8,569 posts, read 17,185,063 times
Melitta makes a 1 cup coffee filter holder - available in almost every supermarket near the coffee filters - it's usually brown, shaped like a cone with a flat disk on the bottom. You insert a melitta 1 cup coffee filter, place it over the mug, put in a measure of coffee. If you want really GOOD coffee, you first wet the grounds with boiling water, then wait a min and pour a full cup of almost boiling water over the grounds and wait for it to finish dripping. One of the best single cups of coffee you will ever have.

Whether you add milk, sugar, creamer, or whatever is irrelevant to making a good cup of coffee.

Oh, and these things run about $5 and come with several filters.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:50 PM

@Annie

I will check these when i go to walmart the next time.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:53 PM

5,238 posts, read 10,935,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Melitta makes a 1 cup coffee filter holder - available in almost every supermarket near the coffee filters - it's usually brown, shaped like a cone with a flat disk on the bottom. You insert a melitta 1 cup coffee filter, place it over the mug, put in a measure of coffee. If you want really GOOD coffee, you first wet the grounds with boiling water, then wait a min and pour a full cup of almost boiling water over the grounds and wait for it to finish dripping. One of the best single cups of coffee you will ever have.

Whether you add milk, sugar, creamer, or whatever is irrelevant to making a good cup of coffee.

Oh, and these things run about $5 and come with several filters.
This is how we make coffee when we go camping. Simple little plastic piece that sits on top of the mug and holds a #2 cone filter. And NY Annie is right - it makes amazing coffee. We actually pour the water over it in small batches. It can make a pretty potent cup that way though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes