Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 04:41 PM

3,975 posts, read 7,690,509 times

Advertisements

I want to make a pasta with a green, spinach-ey type sauce. So I've been looking for recipies. Well, in the store today I saw creamed, garlic spinach.
My thought is, if I buy the pre made creamed spinach, and just added it to cooked fettucini, then maybe baked it to warm it through, does that sound like a good side dish? I've never tried it, so I want to know if that sounds like a nice short cut for a flavorful, pasta sauce. (Don't really like pesto)
Any thoughts would be appreciated!! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 05:01 PM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
I wouldn't use pre-made spinach. Of course it's been years and years since I tried canned spinach and maybe it has changed for the better but it was awful then.

I would use either fresh spinach or frozen spinach and then prepare from that. Saute some onions and garlic with the spinach, add some salt and pepper and cream and toss with the pasta. If the spinach is flavourful enough, there's no reason why it wouldn't be a tasty dish. You could also add some chopped sun-dried tomatoes to the dish towards the end to give it a little colour.

Or - just google for recipes. Here's one that looks very simple.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:29 PM

Ooh, that looks good! thanks! I will try that. It does seem very easy! thanks for the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I wouldn't use pre-made spinach. Of course it's been years and years since I tried canned spinach and maybe it has changed for the better but it was awful then.

I would use either fresh spinach or frozen spinach and then prepare from that. Saute some onions and garlic with the spinach, add some salt and pepper and cream and toss with the pasta. If the spinach is flavourful enough, there's no reason why it wouldn't be a tasty dish. You could also add some chopped sun-dried tomatoes to the dish towards the end to give it a little colour.

Or - just google for recipes. Here's one that looks very simple.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:45 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
I want to make a pasta with a green, spinach-ey type sauce. So I've been looking for recipies. Well, in the store today I saw creamed, garlic spinach.
My thought is, if I buy the pre made creamed spinach, and just added it to cooked fettucini, then maybe baked it to warm it through, does that sound like a good side dish? I've never tried it, so I want to know if that sounds like a nice short cut for a flavorful, pasta sauce. (Don't really like pesto)
I take fresh baby spinach (9 oz bag) 1/4 olive oil, 1/4 cup grated parm or romano cheese, pinch nutmeg, 1/2 cup hot chicken broth and blend together in a blender, I call it spinach pesto. If you like basil sometines i add 1 cup fresh basil leaves in with the spinach.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:58 PM

another good tip, thanks! I think the cheese will make it creamy! Doesn't need any garlic??

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I take fresh baby spinach (9 oz bag) 1/4 olive oil, 1/4 cup grated parm or romano cheese, pinch nutmeg, 1/2 cup hot chicken broth and blend together in a blender, I call it spinach pesto. If you like basil sometines i add 1 cup fresh basil leaves in with the spinach.

Old 12-24-2011, 12:33 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
Quote:

I made it the 2 nites ago with Birds Eye creamed spinach.

I started out with thinly sliced boneless chicken breast sauteed.

Took the chicken out & added 1/4c. chicken broth and 1/4 c. olive oil and fresh minced garlic and then emptied the container of frozen creamed spinach on top and let it defrost and simmer.

Cooked penne pasta, cut the cooked chicken breasts into sliced strips.

Added together the pasta, chicken and creamed spinach together.

Results were good. The chicken breasts can be omitted and any type of pasta you prefer.

Old 12-24-2011, 12:36 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,397,625 times
you could ad lil fresh tomatoes and sardine
Ingredients: 480 g spaghetti, 400 grams spinach, 1 clove garlic 1 small onion, 150 grams cherry tomatoes, 2 sprigs parsley, 200 g fresh sardines, 50 ml white wine 1 hot pepper, 20 grams of pine nuts, 30 ml olive oil, 5 tablespoons of salt, fine salt: pepper
Preparation: Wash the sardines thoroughly under running water, open them like a book and removed the spine, viscera and head. Rinse, split them in half and roll it out on paper towels to dry.
Clean spinach, remove the leaves and roots worn (if any), wash repeatedly in cold water and drain. Transfer them in a pan and cook covered for 5 minutes to dry, mix in with a wooden spoon; are dry and slightly dry, and after that they drain with a colander.
Peel the garlic and onion and chop finely. Wash tomatoes and remove the stem. Cut them in half. Rinse the parsley, sgrondatelo, remove the stems and chop finely. Wash and clean the peppers, removing the stems and seeds.
Bring to a boil 5 liters of water in a saucepan and add the salt. Pour the oil in a large pan with the chopped prepared.
Lay the sardine fillets and brown for 2 min. Moisten with white wine and let evaporate over high heat for 2 minutes, add salt and pepper. Then add the tomatoes and whole chili, stir and cook for 3 minutes. Meanwhile, dip the pasta in boiling water, stir and cook for minutes indicated in its packaging. When ready, drain it and transfer it into the sauce pan, add the spinach last and cook for 2 minutes.
Transfer to a serving dish with a sprinkling of pine nuts and parsley (optional).
Serve the dish with a crisp white wine like Pinot Blanc or a Garda Lombardo's Collio.

Old 12-24-2011, 06:49 AM

Wow, great recipie ideas, thanks!

Old 12-24-2011, 08:32 AM

1,642 posts, read 4,091,862 times
I like this one

1 pkg frozen spinich thawed
clams- 1 lg can or 2 small
small onion chopped
garlic
butter/oil

cook onion/garlic, add spinach and clam liquid and simmer, add clams last to keep tender

Old 12-27-2011, 08:33 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
Quote:
another good tip, thanks! I think the cheese will make it creamy! Doesn't need any garlic??
oops yes 2 cloves garlic minced
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes