Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you use fresh or canned tomatoes?
Mostly fresh 7 17.95%
Mostly canned 21 53.85%
About half times fresh and half times tomatoes 11 28.21%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 11:00 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times

Advertisements

Both. Factors for me depend on the price and/or quality of fresh tomatoes. Some people are really picky though and would only use one or the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 12:19 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
For recipes that call for tomatoes as an ingredients and either fresh or canned will be ok, which do you usually choose, and why?
i guess it depends on what i'm making.

honestly, though, i think that different varieties of tomatoes have dramatically different tastes, and I don't know which to buy. So, i stick to canned, just because they typically use the sort of tomatoes i am looking for.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:53 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,966,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
LOL. I don't know about preservatives, but I read that the cans of Muir Glen (some of you's favorite) are line with a material that is harmful to health. I do agree canned ones are easier for cooking, and they are also cheaper than fresh ones.

Reminder: this is a Poll. Please vote.
I use fresh often, but when sauce or crushed are called for I use a brand in boxes, called POMI. Unlike cans, there is an expiration date on the boxes. They taste fresher to me.

I don't like the idea of acid (from tomatoes) in the cans. Some of the coating or metal can leach out.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
Generally canned based in part on laziness (refusal to go shopping unless absolutely necessary) and on the belief that tomatoes are generally canned at the peak of their flavor and freshness.
I am so glad that you brought this up.

I used to get plum tomatoes because they had the best consistent flavor all year round (east coaster, here).
Then there was that phony salmonella in tomato scare in 2008. Since then, I cannot get a decent plum tomato, so I've been getting the Campari (Canadian, hydroponically grown) tomatoes. They come in those little clear plastic box/clam shell containers.

During my last trip to the supermarket (two, in fact), the Campari's are not there and there is a crappy looking 'Ole' brand (not rosy red and some have fungus).

We used to not have an off season for tomatoes. There would always be some sort of acceptable tomato in the market. Now, they all lack flavor.
There are those little really red tomatoes on the vine, but they just look pretty and lack flavor, too.

It seems as though all the really good tomatoes go to canning companies anymore.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:06 PM

859 posts, read 2,148,138 times
most of the time canned tomato's ...... in the summer fresh

Old 02-07-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I am so glad that you brought this up.

I used to get plum tomatoes because they had the best consistent flavor all year round (east coaster, here).
Then there was that phony salmonella in tomato scare in 2008. Since then, I cannot get a decent plum tomato, so I've been getting the Campari (Canadian, hydroponically grown) tomatoes. They come in those little clear plastic box/clam shell containers.

During my last trip to the supermarket (two, in fact), the Campari's are not there and there is a crappy looking 'Ole' brand (not rosy red and some have fungus).

We used to not have an off season for tomatoes. There would always be some sort of acceptable tomato in the market. Now, they all lack flavor.
There are those little really red tomatoes on the vine, but they just look pretty and lack flavor, too.

It seems as though all the really good tomatoes go to canning companies anymore.
I just saw those Campari tomatoes on the shelves and they looked like garbage and the box said product of Mexico, not Canada. Funny, online articles say they are from Canada but the box says Mexico. Anyway, the quality sure went downhill and I'm not buying them.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:19 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,091,862 times
If I'm cooking I use canned, except for some baked dishes. I really only use fresh tomatoes for things like salads, sandwiches or salsa. If I do cook with fresh, I always peel them, it's easy if you dip them in boiling water.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:38 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
Canned and I'm Italian. Hehe. All the recipes I've ever tasted, too, growing up w/ plenty of Italian cooks in the kitchen always used canned, too. My husband used to make fresh, but the canned are really okay and have a good flavor.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:40 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
I've seen several recipes for spaghetti bolognaise that call for both fresh and canned. Anyone know (or can hazard a guess) the reason behind this? Either way, the sauce tasted great, far superior to anything out of a jar.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:34 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,420,591 times
Farmers markets around me are far and few to come across without a 40 minute or more drive.
We do have one or two close ones but the produce is most of the time "seconds" not of the best quality.
So for me it's canned unless I see some real nice ripe tomatos at a store for slicing and always grape tomatos for salads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes