Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 08:10 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,258,010 times

Advertisements

We did a kale/white bean/sausage, but subbed out the white beans and did black-eyed peas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 12:33 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,654,191 times
Butternut soup.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:26 AM

684 posts, read 434,794 times
soups I love:

New England Clam Chowder
Lamb & potatoes
Chicken and rice - chicken soup has mysterious healing powers that science has discovered.
Split pea, or Lentils with ham
Potato and Broccoli
then again 1 day of fasting - as periodic calorie-restriction is also beneficial
Butternut squash with left-over veggies

How are you liking your Cabin in the woods Loving it still ?

Old 01-14-2017, 01:17 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,112,011 times
I am sure I have posted this before, but split pea is at the top of our list, followed by bean soup or sweet potato or winter squash. I love think, creamy soups, not one with a lot of broth. Spoiled brat could live on the street if ther was a near by soup kitchen. He has never met a soup he didn't love.

Old 01-14-2017, 07:19 PM

23,869 posts, read 32,134,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Wanderer View Post
In a few days, we (husband and I) will be moving to a small ski town. The cabin's fireplace is cleaned and the shed is full of firewood, so all I will have to think about, while husband unpacking our 78 boxes of belongings, is what to put in our tummies. I am planning to cook a few pots of good winter soup as staples for nourishment for the first weeks. I have a handful of recipes in my repertoire and can get many more off the Internet easily enough, but I would like to know if y'all have a favourite winter soup recipe, one that would make you feel warm and happy just from the thought of it.

Please share, unless the recipe is your family's secret.

Soup is "Winter Soul Food" for me. I have so many favorites and I will gladly share any with anyone who has an interest. My recipes are approximate, because that is how I cook. (with the exception of baking)

My Favorite Winter Soups -

Potato Cheese Chive - (ummmmm...)

Mushroom Barley. (mine is a family recipe, but we do not guard our recipes - we love to share.

Lentil Spinach Soup.

Split pea soup.

Leek potato Soup.

Harvest Minestrone with Tortellini - a friend gave this to me and I love it. It's a meal in itself.

Old 01-14-2017, 09:42 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,858,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Soup is "Winter Soul Food" for me. I have so many favorites and I will gladly share any with anyone who has an interest. My recipes are approximate, because that is how I cook. (with the exception of baking)

My Favorite Winter Soups -

Potato Cheese Chive - (ummmmm...)

Mushroom Barley. (mine is a family recipe, but we do not guard our recipes - we love to share.

Lentil Spinach Soup.

Split pea soup.

Leek potato Soup.

Harvest Minestrone with Tortellini - a friend gave this to me and I love it. It's a meal in itself.
Psssst. I'd love the mushroom barley soup recipe.

(I'd also love the potato cheese chive recipe but don't give it to me. I already eat way too much cheese. Sigh...)

Old 01-15-2017, 03:01 PM

19,361 posts, read 27,571,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am sure I have posted this before, but split pea is at the top of our list, followed by bean soup or sweet potato or winter squash. I love think, creamy soups, not one with a lot of broth. Spoiled brat could live on the street if ther was a near by soup kitchen. He has never met a soup he didn't love.
I feel much better - maybe we weren't separated at birth. Finally, after all these CD years, there appears to be something on which we truly disagree. Those are my least favorite soups, followed closely by tomato soup.

EtA - I'd like that mushroom barley soup recipe, too.

Old 01-16-2017, 07:47 PM

22,634 posts, read 14,858,310 times
Right now - this very minute! - I'm reading this and enjoying a bowl of Tomato Basil Bisque from Wawa (local 24 hour convenience store.) It's amazing, but Wawa has really good soups ... Chicken Tortilla, Italian Wedding, Maryland She-crab, New England Clam Chowdah (spelling intentional!).

Old 01-16-2017, 08:48 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,880,863 times
Turkey sausage, kale, and potato.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes