Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 04:33 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,087,283 times

Advertisements

Was not sure what to name this thread.
I made some Italian Style (sort of) Veggies, served with Pasta This is a vegetarian dish.

My neighbor came over while I was cooking, as he often does. I sent him home with a bowl of these veggies, enough for him and his wife. Well his wife who is of Italian descent appareantly LOVED IT! according to him, she ate all of it and sent him back yesterday to ask for the recipe.
Wellm I told him that unfortunately I do not use recipes as I make it all up as I go. (The whole "real men don't need recipes Line ) or something

So anyway best as I can remember here it is

Take a large skillet (I use cast Iron but use what you want/have) Coat the bottom thoroughly in some Olive Oil and heat up. I used a setting of 6 out of 10 on an electric stove.

Chop 1/2 small onion, few pieces of Fresh garlic, and 1 large carrot and drop gently in the oil.
Open a jar of green olives. Take out 2 Teaspoons of the vinegar from the green olive jar and add in to the above veggies . Set aside the jar.
Cook for about 5 minutes, then add
several pieces of red and green bell pepper, chopped (I used one of each) also cut up chopped asparagus into 2 inch pieces, I used about 10 or 12 stalks, including the stem, and one large yellow Squash cut into wedges or cubes. Add 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning (I use a mix of Oregano, thyme, basil, black pepper and Rosemary) Simmer for 5 minutes covered.
Add Washed and sliced Mushrooms, The olives from the jar, and one chopped up red tomato. Cook for 5 minutes covered and then serve over your favorite (or favourite in the UK) pasta. The vegies will be soft and steamy but not slushy or overdone. Quit cokking if the tomato starts to break down into a sauce. The colors work together to give this dish a very aesthetic property. i
You may garnish of course with sprinkle cheese of course. We had enough to easily feed 6.
Enjoy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 04:53 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,684,438 times
^^^ yummy!

I made italian style for non-italian (myself & family) all the time.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:38 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
Not to be a pain... your recipe sounds delicious, by the way... but do you really mean vinegar from the olives? The olives I buy always come in a salty brine, but not vinegar. I call it the olive juice, but I love vinegar, I'd be all over that!

Old 03-07-2012, 11:44 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,684,438 times
^^^I would also think that it is most likely a sort of brine (unless pickled by my FIL, he does not use brine but vinegar for pickling)... just like caper juice which is also great in place of the olive juice & capers in place of olives.
Use that caper & caper juice to marinade the pork chops in Italian dish... TDF!!! I copied that from a NYC little Italy Italian restaurant I ate at one time... since that first taste, I became the believer!

Old 03-07-2012, 12:58 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Green olives are usually packet in Lactic Acid that creates the vinegar taste of the brine.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Not to be a pain... your recipe sounds delicious, by the way... but do you really mean vinegar from the olives? The olives I buy always come in a salty brine, but not vinegar. I call it the olive juice, but I love vinegar, I'd be all over that!
Well, you may be right about that Thanks for pointing that out. I used green olives and just a couple teaspoons of the brine. Also I may not have pointed out, but I generally do not cook with salt, so the salty brine from the olives really added a nice addition to the herbal seasoning.
Plus, I hate to waste anything...even the brine from the olives.

And no I am not Italian, but I LOVE Italian food

Old 04-02-2012, 05:15 PM

well my neighbor, the one of italian descent who likes my cooking will be going in for knee replacement next week. When she gets out, I will probably need to make extra food for her and her husband. If I leave it to him to cook for her , she might starve. (She said she does not like his cooking) I usually have leftovers anyway so it is no problem at all for me to cook a little extra for her. Problem is she is diabetic, so I will have to follow ADA Protocal, also she will need increased protein and such early on, and she may not have much of an apetite so I need to keep the flavor on full (and the salt down which is no problem)
SO we will see how I can do with this over a couple of weeks, if I can keep making up decent recipes that will fit her diet.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:07 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
well my neighbor, the one of italian descent who likes my cooking will be going in for knee replacement next week. When she gets out, I will probably need to make extra food for her and her husband. If I leave it to him to cook for her , she might starve. (She said she does not like his cooking) I usually have leftovers anyway so it is no problem at all for me to cook a little extra for her. Problem is she is diabetic, so I will have to follow ADA Protocal, also she will need increased protein and such early on, and she may not have much of an apetite so I need to keep the flavor on full (and the salt down which is no problem)
SO we will see how I can do with this over a couple of weeks, if I can keep making up decent recipes that will fit her diet.
Good luck!!

Sweet potatoes are low-glycemic and very healthy. You could serve baked sweets with a pat of butter, a piece of lean meat and some steamed broccoli with a wedge of lemon and make me happy.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:14 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Good luck!!

Sweet potatoes are low-glycemic and very healthy. You could serve baked sweets with a pat of butter, a piece of lean meat and some steamed broccoli with a wedge of lemon and make me happy.
The sweet potatoes are fine, but for the rest... Lean meat and broccoli sound like the menu in a private hell.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:22 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Italian-style for non-italians...side dish!

Fresh spinach leaves, washed and pat-dried
FRESH minced garlic
olive oil
1/8 of a lemon (a small wedge)

Just a teaspoon of oil in the pan on medium to start, until a drop of water sizzles and pops in it. Add the spinach leaves and stir to get them all coated. Then add another tablespoon of olive oil, and mince 2 cloves of garlic into the pan. You don't want to cook the garlic first, because you want the spinach to have a serious kick and cooking garlic takes the kick out.

Once the spinach is thoroughly limp and wilted and the kitchen reeks of garlic, pour it all into a bowl, and give that small lemon wedge a firm squeeze over the bowl. Toss like a salad, present with shaved parmasean cheese shavings on top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes