Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 09:41 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times

Advertisements

They are expensive and it seems to me just softened cream cheese would work just as well. i did have a coupon-I won't buy anything new without a coupon- so I bought some and use a bit to tone down the acidity in a shrimp and tomato sauce pasta dish. DH is getting older and says anything tomato is fighting him all night so I made the recipe, serve the rest of the family, added a bit of the cooking cream to hs portion and he was very pleased.

have you used the cooking cream? What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 09:58 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
They are expensive and it seems to me just softened cream cheese would work just as well. i did have a coupon-I won't buy anything new without a coupon- so I bought some and use a bit to tone down the acidity in a shrimp and tomato sauce pasta dish. DH is getting older and says anything tomato is fighting him all night so I made the recipe, serve the rest of the family, added a bit of the cooking cream to hs portion and he was very pleased.

I used it once, because like you, I had a coupon. It worked well in a pasta dish but no better than the cream cheese plus a few additional ingredients that I usually use.

I guess it is a time saver, but in my opinion it is overpriced. Probably won't buy it again unless I get another good coupon.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:01 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,941 times
I tried it instead of cream cheese for a recipe I made the first time with the real cream cheese. MUCH worse than the real stuff. Not as creamy or tasty. won't buy it again.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:41 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
I had never heard of it. Since no one bothered to identify the product I'm wondering if this is what people meant?

Philadelphia Original Flavor Cooking Creme | Kraft Philly

It comes in a variety of flavors and seems worth a try. I've never had anything bad marked Kraft Philadelphia.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:12 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
I tried it twice (did not use a coupon but I don't care) first time I made it it was creamy and tasty. next time I made it I used 2 lbs of pasta because I had company over, within minutes of stirring in the cooking cream it started to clump up and the pasta was so dry I had to add Heavy cream to the dish. Mind you they were selling a larger container than the average size so I figured It would be good for 2 lbs of pasta. I won't be buying again, I make a better alfredo sauce homemade that's creamier. A bechamel sauce works great too and is easy to make. Don't waste your money on this stuff.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:17 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,684,438 times
I got them at a steal when they first came out & I looooved them... great for that quick dinner.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:22 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,178,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post

Don't waste your money; I tried it when it first came out, also because I had a coupon. I threw it out, it was gross. I make my own cream cheese sauces, so that was what I was comparing it to. One more thing- they are also ridiculously overpriced..... Stick to homemade

Old 03-08-2012, 08:05 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,435,320 times
I had a coupon for a free container, so I tried it a few months ago. Nothing to write home about - can make your own for a lot cheaper.

I saw it in the local Grocery Outlet store for $1 a tub two weeks ago. I bought some, since it was the same price as plain cream cheese

Old 03-09-2012, 05:06 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
I've never used it but the thing (although pricey) that DOES work and taste better than cream cheese when cooking with it is Boursin cheese.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:40 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,764,526 times
I tried it when it first came out because I had a coupon and it was on sale. Not impressed enough to ever buy it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes