Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 11:40 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,414,875 times

Advertisements

Vegetable barley soup
1 1 /2 cups of sliced fresh carrots
1 medium onion chopped
6 cups low sodium chicken broth
2 cups water
2 fresh bay leaf
3 fresh basil leaves chopped
1 tsp salt or more if you prefer
2 cloves fresh garlic chopped
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp black pepper
1 can small red beans rinsed and drained
1 cup pearl barley
2 tbsp olive oil

Wash and chop vegetables, heat stock pot and add olive oil, saute all vegetables, garlic and onion for about 7 minutes. Add basil, bay leaf, salt, pepper and italian seasoning, stir well. Add broth a water, beans and barley. Bring to a boil, then turn down to simmer and cook soup until vegetables and barley are tender. I made some recently and I froze it. I made 4 quarts. You can use any vegetables you like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 07:43 PM

15 posts, read 22,842 times
A quick recipe I use is:

2 cans chicken or beef stock
Dice or cube potato, carrots, onion
2 - 3 okra
When veggies are tender add favorite frozen veggies
( If you use fresh add sooner)
In Chicken stock I flavor with sage and savory
In beef stock I use bay
You can add barley, rice, pasta
Salt and pepper to taste

Old 05-07-2012, 08:44 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
all these recipes look great but I usually make what we call Refrigerator Soup.

I put all my dabs of left over veggies in one pot in the freezer. When it gets full I add it to some broth with some seasoning and maybe a can of beans, or left over rice or left over meat scraps or maybe some fresh veggie if on hand.

I have to admit I never even thought of looking at a recipe for vegetable soup. This is the way my Mom made it.

Am I the only one who likes this use of leftovers?

Old 05-14-2012, 08:52 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
all these recipes look great but I usually make what we call Refrigerator Soup.

I put all my dabs of left over veggies in one pot in the freezer. When it gets full I add it to some broth with some seasoning and maybe a can of beans, or left over rice or left over meat scraps or maybe some fresh veggie if on hand.

I have to admit I never even thought of looking at a recipe for vegetable soup. This is the way my Mom made it.

Am I the only one who likes this use of leftovers?
You're not alone. I love a clean out the refrig soup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes