Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 02:50 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,377,872 times

Advertisements

To all the posters: BBQ season is fast approaching, what is your best sauce and recipes, if you would please share, can't wait to get the grill going. Be it short ribs, baby backs ribs, St. Louis ribs, brisket, turkey, sausages, chicken, do you use a smoker, also recipes for BBQ rubs. Favorite time of year....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 03:07 PM

4,483 posts, read 6,237,297 times
My usual is baby backs on a side box smoker. Use whatever dry rub suits my fancy and do 1.5 hours on each side over around 250 heat. Then I sauce them, wrap them in foil. and put em on for another hour.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:07 AM

859 posts, read 2,148,893 times
Bbq is starting?????? WHAT !!!!!!!! I never stopped ! lol

Dry rubs, Smoker, oh so much stuff so little time

Old 04-25-2012, 09:01 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
we always use dry rub for snoking and add the sause afterwards or just before the meat is done. I use my own sause and do not have a recipe but here is pretty much what I put in it and simmer it for, at least a few hours:

tomato sause
bourbon
a little lemon juice
seasoning salt (homemade is best)
mustard, spicy is what we like
a few tablespoons or honey or brown sugar
paprika
a couple of cloves of garlic, pressed
onion powder
a few pepper flakes
a pinch or two of cinnamon and nutmeg.

I just keep tasting until it has the kick we like but not too much and has a little hint of sweetness but we really do not like any sause too sweet.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:41 AM

75 posts, read 120,219 times
Just keep slathering on lots of Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ sauce before, during and after smoking with hard wood.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:42 AM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
I'd love to get a smoker, nothing like baby back ribs or brisket in the smoker.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:12 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times
Make yourself some ketchup. Peel and deseed and drain the water out of about half a bushel of Roma tomatoes. chop them up with some onion, a little garlic, some kosher salt, celery seed, a bit of ginger, and some deseeded jalapeno along with other spices you may like (cumin, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, etc). Cook them down with some apple cider vinegar. When cooked and thick run through a food processor until it is a fine puree, then can it.

bbq sauce.......add some chimayo chili powder, some cumin, maple syrup, vinegar, spices you like. mix well with the ketchup. I like a nice sugar/red chili rub and slow smoke the meat until you get that nice red rind and scorched ends. cut off the scorched parts, chop and soak in the sauce and serve on toasted bun with red onion, dill pickle, slaw and beans baked with smoked meat.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:57 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Make yourself some ketchup. Peel and deseed and drain the water out of about half a bushel of Roma tomatoes. chop them up with some onion, a little garlic, some kosher salt, celery seed, a bit of ginger, and some deseeded jalapeno along with other spices you may like (cumin, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, etc). Cook them down with some apple cider vinegar. When cooked and thick run through a food processor until it is a fine puree, then can it.

bbq sauce.......add some chimayo chili powder, some cumin, maple syrup, vinegar, spices you like. mix well with the ketchup. I like a nice sugar/red chili rub and slow smoke the meat until you get that nice red rind and scorched ends. cut off the scorched parts, chop and soak in the sauce and serve on toasted bun with red onion, dill pickle, slaw and beans baked with smoked meat.
now that is the type I would make as well. I never thought about running it throw the food prosseor though. As for the katsup, I do prefer tomato sause because it has less sugar than katsup but either will work. It seems to me, making your own sause is simple, will keep in the fridge for months and you get to enjoy exactly the flavors you want without the preservatives that come from store bought sause. I can understand keeping a bottle of commercial sause in the fridge or cupboard for emergancies, but not to use on a regular basis.

Nita

Old 04-26-2012, 06:33 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I live in Kansas City; there is no need to ever do my own barbecuing.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:19 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I live in Kansas City; there is no need to ever do my own barbecuing.
I tried to get a good Texas bbq in KC once and it just wasn't available. And I don't know that I've ever seen a good Carolina mustard sauce there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes