Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 07:23 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times

Advertisements

Ok I am not going to baste it because it seems it does not need it from your suggestions. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
If you want it done right you can't cut corners. In the smoker 1.5 hours per pound is a general rule of thumb at temps from 190-225 F. 1.5 h x 12 pounds would be 18 hours at 200-225. That's just the way it is.
some others told me 8-9 hours would be plenty of time. I am not using a smoker. I am roasting this on 275.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Try the Brisket rub I posted you can get it by mail. It's the best thing for brisket I promise you........

P.S. We have a smoker rarely use it. I can smoke anything well enough in the pit. But Brisket can't get any better than with this rub and cooked in the oven. For smoke it can be thrown in the pit with foil open for a few minutes.

I will buy this rub for another time I need it by Friday. Thanks.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:30 AM

Now i am confused ,do I roast this for 18 hrs like fibonacci said on 200 or do I roast this 8-9 hours on 275? I don't want the meat to be dry and tough. What do the Texan's say??? Either way I don't care I just want my brisket to be fall apart and delicious.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:42 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times
Because you've never made one before, I think that you should follow my aunt's (and Debsi's mother's) way of making it the day before, refrigerating it, and carving it the next day. Then you warm it up in the gravy that's created.

This way, you can cut yourself a piece earlier and if it's not good, or just something that you'd eat but don't think is worthy of serving, you can go to Plan B and make something else.

I'd never try out a new recipe for the first time when serving it to company. If you're intent on having brisket for your guests, then do it the day before. (By the way, it's MUCH easier to carve the next day -- that's why my aunt does it in a two-day method.)

Old 05-02-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Because you've never made one before, I think that you should follow my aunt's (and Debsi's mother's) way of making it the day before, refrigerating it, and carving it the next day. Then you warm it up in the gravy that's created.

This way, you can cut yourself a piece earlier and if it's not good, or just something that you'd eat but don't think is worthy of serving, you can go to Plan B and make something else.

I'd never try out a new recipe for the first time when serving it to company. If you're intent on having brisket for your guests, then do it the day before. (By the way, it's MUCH easier to carve the next day -- that's why my aunt does it in a two-day method.)
I have to work the day the before I don't have a plan B unfortunately.I am confident it will turn out fine.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:47 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,929,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Now i am confused ,do I roast this for 18 hrs like fibonacci said on 200 or do I roast this 8-9 hours on 275? I don't want the meat to be dry and tough. What do the Texan's say??? Either way I don't care I just want my brisket to be fall apart and delicious.
In all honesty, it probably doesn't matter if you do 275 for 8 hours as long as internal temp reaches 160 F. That's really your primary goal. I'd say go out and get a meat thermometer really quick ($10). It's good to have around the house anyway and will help you cook perfect meats in the future.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:50 AM

this is what I found online:
Of course….one doesn’t have to smoke it…just season to taste, wrap in foil and pop in the oven for 24 hours at 200 degrees. The way to do this is start smoking at 3:00 in the afternoon and then put it in the oven at 7:00 p.m. or 9:00 p.m. depending on how long you want to smoke. The meat will cook overnight and into the next day. On newer stoves, be sure to check the oven after 12 hours because many newer models automatically turn off after 12 hours. If you don’t want to smoke the meat, just put it in the oven at 6:00 p.m. I will buy a meat thermometer and I don't have one because I don't cook alot of red meat or roasts.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:51 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I have to work the day the before I don't have a plan B unfortunately.I am confident it will turn out fine.
Pizza! Plan B is always pizza!

Seriously, though, I hope it all goes perfectly. Start it very early in the morning so that it has time to rest, at least. And you can also sneak a taste just to confirm that it's good.

My aunt has been making "her" brisket for 40+ years, and it's always deeeeelicious. I hope yours is even better!

Old 05-02-2012, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Pizza! Plan B is always pizza!

Seriously, though, I hope it all goes perfectly. Start it very early in the morning so that it has time to rest, at least. And you can also sneak a taste just to confirm that it's good.

My aunt has been making "her" brisket for 40+ years, and it's always deeeeelicious. I hope yours is even better!
I could prepare the brisket when I get home from work and cook it overnight on 200-225 degree oven. Should I wrap the brisket itelf in the foil after I have seasoned it and out a rub on it, then put it into a roasting pan? Then I could take the juices and or gravy that it makes and heat it in a pan and thicken it a bit with cornstarch and pour over the meat. Then I can serve BBQ sauce on the side. I should make cole slaw and baked beans to go with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes