Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 10:10 AM

8,306 posts, read 3,469,845 times

Advertisements

Please share your fav. vegetarian recipes here .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 01:28 PM

136 posts, read 589,826 times
VEGETARIAN LASAGNA
Ingredients:

1 lb. enriched lasagna noodles, cooked & drained
1 lg. green pepper
1 lg. onion
l lg clove garlic, minced
1/2 c. mushrooms, chopped
1 lb. container ricotta cheese
8 oz. mozzarella
8 oz. sharp cheddar
8 oz. Monterey Jack
1 lg. jar spaghetti sauce

1/2 c. Parmesan cheese

(additional seasonings optional)
1/4 cup freshly chopped parsley
1/2 teaspoon basil

Directions:

Layer lasagna noodles, ricotta cheese, vegetables (mushrooms, onion, green peppers, garlic), sauce, and cheese in that order until all ingredients are gone.

Should make 1 large pan. Double ingrediants to prepare a larger helping.

Cook at 375 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes.

Serves 10 to 12.

Can be served with garlic bread and dinner salad.

Last edited by ms_info; 09-19-2007 at 02:10 PM..

Old 09-20-2007, 09:08 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,355,335 times
Default Cuban Black Beans

This may take a little bit of practice, especially the softening of the beans. But it is worth the effort. When the beans are finished, the liquid will be opaque. The beans refrigerate well, can be frozen if desired, and reheat well on the rangetop, oven or microwave. I suggest using the white rice recipe that follows - the olive oil adds a nice flavor that goes well with the beans.

Frijoles Negros (Black Beans)

Ingredients
----------------------------------------------------
For Softening the Beans:
1 pound black beans -- rinsed in cold water, picked over
1 bay leaf
1 medium green bell pepper -- seeded and cut into quarters

For the Sofrito:
2/3 cup Spanish olive oil -- we use Goya brand
4 cloves garlic -- finely chopped
1 large onion -- finely chopped
1 medium green bell pepper -- seeded and finely chopped
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons cider vinegar

Finishing the Beans:
2 teaspoons salt

Preparation
  1. Rinse beans in cold water. Pick out any broken beans.
  2. Put beans in a large sauce pot. Add cold water so that it covers beans by 1 1/2 to 2 inches. Remove any beans that float to the top. Soak the beans overnight.
  3. The next day, check that the water is still covering the beans by 1 1/2 to 2 inches and add more water if needed. Add the bay leaf and the quartered green pepper, bring to a boil over high heat, reduce the heat to low, and cook uncovered, until the beans are tender and they have almost cracked open, about 2 hours. Check the beans while they are cooking and if they need more liquid, add some hot water.
  4. To prepare the sofrito, in a skillet heat the oil over low heat until it is fragrant, then add the garlic, onion, and bell pepper and cook, stirring, until the onion is transparent, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the cumin and vinegar and mix well.
  5. After the beans have been softened, add the sofrito to the beans, and mix well. Add the salt. Cook over low heat, covered, until the beans crack open, 30 to 40 minutes. Add more salt to taste if necessary.
NOTES:
  1. Depending on their quality and freshness, beans will vary in the amount of cooking time needed and the amount of liquid they will absorb
  2. Spoon over the Perfect White Rice (recipe follows)

White Rice

Ingredients
1 cup white rice
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon Spanish olive oil
2 cups water

Preparation
  1. Place the white rice, salt, olive oil and water in a pot over high heat.
  2. Bring to a boil and cook until small craters form in the rice. Stir, cover and lower the heat to low.
  3. Cook for 10 minutes.
Notes:
  1. While cooking, we find that stirring the rice with a fork occasionally before the craters start to form helps keep it from sticking.
  2. After the water comes to a boil, we lower the heat to medium, which still maintains a boil on our rangetop, to keep the rice from burning. This will probably vary from kitchen-to-kitchen.
  3. The rice fluffs up better if you let it sit covered after it finishes cooking for at least 10 minutes. It holds fine for 30-40 minutes in a covered pot.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:37 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,437,138 times
Here is one of my favorites, so yummy!

Yummy Peanut Noodles

Ingredients :

8 oz. soba or udon noodles, you can also use whole grain noodles
1/4 cup warm water
4 tablespoon smooth, natural-style peanut butter
3 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce or tamari
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
2 teaspoon fresh ginger, chopped
1 1/2 tablespoon dark sesame oil
1 tablespoon rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoon natural sugar
Pinch of cayenne (optional)
Vegetables (any combination of the following): mung bean sprouts, cucumbers (peeled, seeded, and sliced into half-moons), red bell pepper (chopped or cut into thin strips), snow peas (whole or cut in half), carrots (chopped or julienned), broccoli florets (lightly steamed), frozen green peas (thawed), scallions (thinly sliced)

Directions:

Use whatever vegetables appeal most to you. Bean sprouts, cucumbers, broccoli (sometimes), and snow peas go over especially well.

In a pot of boiling water, cook the noodles until tender. Drain them, and rinse with cold water.

Make the peanut sauce by whisking together the warm water, peanut butter, soy sauce/tamari, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, vinegar, sugar, and cayenne. I prefer to mix the ingredients in a blender so comes out extra smooth and creamy, but mixing by hand will work, too.

Prepare any vegetables you plan on using.

Transfer the noodles to a serving bowl, and toss them with the sauce (see note, below). Stir in the vegetables or serve the veggies on the side. Serve at room temperature or cold.

Note: Its best to toss the noodles with the peanut sauce right before serving so the sauce doesn't get absorbed by the noodles.
Serves: 6

Preparation time: 30 min.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:20 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,500,274 times
I make this recipe too, though I add chicken. I vary the vegetables depending on what's in the fridge - I particularly like snow peas, carrots, and shredded napa cabbage - but if your larder is bare it is also quite good made with just frozen peas and frozen corn. My husband loves this recipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Here is one of my favorites, so yummy!

Yummy Peanut Noodles

Ingredients :

8 oz. soba or udon noodles, you can also use whole grain noodles
1/4 cup warm water
4 tablespoon smooth, natural-style peanut butter
3 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce or tamari
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
2 teaspoon fresh ginger, chopped
1 1/2 tablespoon dark sesame oil
1 tablespoon rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoon natural sugar
Pinch of cayenne (optional)
Vegetables (any combination of the following): mung bean sprouts, cucumbers (peeled, seeded, and sliced into half-moons), red bell pepper (chopped or cut into thin strips), snow peas (whole or cut in half), carrots (chopped or julienned), broccoli florets (lightly steamed), frozen green peas (thawed), scallions (thinly sliced)

Directions:

Use whatever vegetables appeal most to you. Bean sprouts, cucumbers, broccoli (sometimes), and snow peas go over especially well.

In a pot of boiling water, cook the noodles until tender. Drain them, and rinse with cold water.

Make the peanut sauce by whisking together the warm water, peanut butter, soy sauce/tamari, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, vinegar, sugar, and cayenne. I prefer to mix the ingredients in a blender so comes out extra smooth and creamy, but mixing by hand will work, too.

Prepare any vegetables you plan on using.

Transfer the noodles to a serving bowl, and toss them with the sauce (see note, below). Stir in the vegetables or serve the veggies on the side. Serve at room temperature or cold.

Note: Its best to toss the noodles with the peanut sauce right before serving so the sauce doesn't get absorbed by the noodles.
Serves: 6

Preparation time: 30 min.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:44 PM

8,306 posts, read 3,469,845 times
Wow ! wonderful recipes. Thanks everyone.
rfb , I was wondering if i could pressure cook the beans to make it faster ? But I suppose the flavour of the dish is brought out by the slow cooking, right ?

katzenfreund, what are soba / udon noodles? I know whole grain ones. Is it the same ?

Old 09-20-2007, 01:03 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,500,274 times
I make that dish with spaghetti or linguine myself, just because that's what I have on hand.

Here's the wiki on soba noodles, which are japanese:

Soba - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-20-2007, 01:49 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,426,355 times
Here's a simple one: extra firm tofu, marinate w/ your favorite barbecue sauce. Add a little more sauce, bake in the over on around 200 degrees for about 30 mins.

Old 09-20-2007, 02:00 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,070,116 times
Both my husband and son are vegetarians.
We make black bean tacos (instead of refried bean tacos). My husband can't tolerate pinto beans.

It's good and easy to vary the beans to make tacos or chili. Sometimes we seem to eat the same few things. (son is very picky..)

Old 09-26-2007, 09:28 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,437,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGal View Post
Wow ! wonderful recipes. Thanks everyone.
rfb , I was wondering if i could pressure cook the beans to make it faster ? But I suppose the flavour of the dish is brought out by the slow cooking, right ?

katzenfreund, what are soba / udon noodles? I know whole grain ones. Is it the same ?
Hi Happy Gal

Soba noodles are made from buckwheat and usually thin, Udon noodles are made from wheat and are "fatter". Personally I like to use whole grain noodles, because of the added fiber, but any of them will work fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes