Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2011, 10:27 PM

1,153 posts, read 3,602,327 times

Advertisements

doing a cold food/dip table for a family function.......ideas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 11:34 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
I've been making this dip for years. It's a snap and people must love it because I never have any leftovers. Clam Dip: To every block of softened fat-reduced cream cheese add: tsp. of Worchester sauce, tsp. of lemon juice, Tbsp. dried minced onions, Tbsp. parsley finely chopped, one can minced clams with enough of the juice added to make dip to your preferred consistency. Can be served with crackers or vegetable crudite.

A make-ahead appetizer that mushroom lovers appreciate is Mushrooms a la Grecque:
Place 1.5 lbs. whole small mushrooms (if you have some big ones, cut in half) in a non-reactive saute pan. Add 1 cup good olive oil, 1 clove garlic, 2 Tbsp. lemon juice, 1 Tbsp. white vinegar, 1 tsp. Kosher salt, 8 peppercorns (or pepper from grater if you don't have any whole ones), 3/4 tsp. ground coriander, 1/2 tsp. rosemary, 1/2 thyme, 1/2 tsp. sage, one bay leaf, 1/4 tsp. crushed fennel seeds.
Combine all ingredients and bring to a boil. (Of course you can vary the herbs to your taste but don't stint on cheap olive oil or you'll taste it.) Turn down heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Pour into a glass bowl small enough so that mushrooms are covered with liquid. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and marinate overnight in the refrigerator. Mushrooms will get darker and smaller; it's OK if bits of herb adhere. To serve, drain well and place in a shallow serving bowl. Spear with wooden picks. Serve at room temperature. Makes about 3 cups.

I also really like two appetizer recipes from Ina Garten (the Barefoot Contessa) that can be found on the Food Network website. They are Artichoke and Bean Crostini and Mini-Brioche with Cheddar and Chutney. They are both elegant little sandwiches that don't need to be heated.

Have fun at your party.

Last edited by Jukesgrrl; 05-17-2011 at 11:47 PM..

Old 05-17-2011, 11:44 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
Here's one more idea that's so easy it doesn't even qualify as a recipe, but is festive enough for a party (or great to have on hand for unexpected guests). Wheat Thins has a new cracker product on the market that's called Stix. They are very crispy and a good size for one or two bites. I got the sun-dried tomato flavor and served them surrounding an upended container of Rondele cheese in the garlic/peppercorn flavor. I put the platter on my coffee table, turned my back, and it was like piranhas had attacked. The entire thing disappeared before I re-entered the room. Everyone wanted to know what it was. I hated to confess since I didn't do anything except open packages. There are at least three other flavors of these Stix and they could be paired with other types of soft cheese. There's a cinnamon one that might be good with peanut butter.

Last edited by Jukesgrrl; 05-17-2011 at 11:53 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-18-2011, 01:54 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Rub a nice trimmed filet mignon with oil and crushed garlic, put it into a pan and roast in a preheated oven at 450 degrees for 10 minutes, reduce the oven temperature to 350 and roast for just 10 more minutes. When cooled, slice very thinly and serve on a platter surrounded by whole wheat and pumpernickel bread squares with dips of plain horseradish or a horseradish/sour cream mix or both and a Colman's English mustard solo or a Colman's with honey.

Chicken live paté. Hardboil a few eggs. Cool and shell (when they come out of the boil pot just soak them in iced water and the shells will come off easily with no waste). Sautée a bunch of chopped onions in butter. Remove from pan, add a LOT more butter (seriously a lot, I'd estimate 1lb butter to 16ozs of livers) and quickly sautée a bunch of chicken livers until evenly browned but not killed. Take off the heat and cool off. If you've nothing better to do while waiting for cool-down, start smelling and tasting and then enjoy some more of that cheap brandy or sherry to make the waiting less stressful.

In a food processor, churn together the onions, livers, black pepper and roughly chopped hard boiled eggs with a liberal dousing of either sherry or brandy. Taste. Taste again. Whir some more, taste again. Scoop out, put into a container and leave in the 'fridge for a couple of hours to settle. As I've said before on this forum I can't give you recipes which require a teaspoon of this or a tablespoon of that but if you can figure out this one it's a continual winner. Bowl it up and surround it with different crackers and breads and even those damned people who screw up their faces and do a gag when liver is even contemplated will be lapping it up in a heartbeat.

Hope that helps and, if not, then that old standby of the Lipton Onion soup with - was that sour cream or yoghurt? - usually works OK. Good luck!

PS, just one more. Pre-cooked frozen meatballs in a combination of a rich marinara sauce with grape jelly. Bring the latter two to a boil, add the meatballs and simmer 'til delicious. Serve room temperature with fancy cocktail sticks in a shot glass for stickin'em with.

Last edited by STT Resident; 05-18-2011 at 02:14 PM..

Old 05-25-2012, 07:19 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
well this is a dip I use alot . Just mix salsa mild or hot makes no difference and cream cheese and mix it up . my family loves this one . and also mix velvetta cheese , cream cheese and chilli and warm in my microwave before serving . My kids loved all of these when they were home for christmas and yes you can use chips , crackers , celery stalks etc .. Have fun and enjoy ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes