U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2012, 09:35 AM

5,342 posts, read 9,266,805 times

Advertisements

This is a good recipe for anyone who doesn't care for Lima beans. Lima beans never were my favorite vegetable, but I tried this recipe and the beans are very flavorful. Serve with some good cornbread and you can have a quick and easy lunch.

I have served this recipe to others who don't like Lima beans and they have always been pleasantly surprised. I make this recipe quite often now, and it always gets good reviews.

Yummy Lima Beans

1 tbsp olive oil
16 oz package frozen lima beans (either baby or fordhook)
1 1/2 cups mushroom broth (you can use vegetable broth if you can't find mushroom broth, or if you prefer vegetable broth)
1/2 cup diced onion (I like to use more, especially if I have Vidalia onions)
sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper, to taste

Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Saute onions until soft in the olive oil. Pour in mushroom broth, and bring to a boil. Add lima beans, and enough water just to cover. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes, until beans are tender. Season with sea salt and pepper.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 11:11 AM

331 posts, read 572,813 times
Sounds like a sweet idea. I love Lima beans, but the kids aren't too fond of them, maybe this will help!!

Old 06-07-2012, 05:36 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,891,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
This is a good recipe for anyone who doesn't care for Lima beans. Lima beans never were my favorite vegetable, but I tried this recipe and the beans are very flavorful. Serve with some good cornbread and you can have a quick and easy lunch.

I have served this recipe to others who don't like Lima beans and they have always been pleasantly surprised. I make this recipe quite often now, and it always gets good reviews.

Yummy Lima Beans

1 tbsp olive oil
16 oz package frozen lima beans (either baby or fordhook)
1 1/2 cups mushroom broth (you can use vegetable broth if you can't find mushroom broth, or if you prefer vegetable broth)
1/2 cup diced onion (I like to use more, especially if I have Vidalia onions)
sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper, to taste

Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Saute onions until soft in the olive oil. Pour in mushroom broth, and bring to a boil. Add lima beans, and enough water just to cover. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes, until beans are tender. Season with sea salt and pepper.
Sounds good, sorry I can't rep you. I've never heard of mushroom broth--do you have a recipe?

Old 06-07-2012, 06:02 PM

5,342 posts, read 9,266,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nALgirl View Post
Sounds good, sorry I can't rep you. I've never heard of mushroom broth--do you have a recipe?

Oh....actually the mushroom broth I use is sold in cartons next to the organic vegetable broth in our local grocery store. The brand is Pacific, and it comes in 32 ounce cartons. It's also sold at Whole Foods.

You can use regular vegetable broth too, and sometimes I do. But I really love to use the mushroom broth in my recipes.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:44 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,891,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Oh....actually the mushroom broth I use is sold in cartons next to the organic vegetable broth in our local grocery store. The brand is Pacific, and it comes in 32 ounce cartons. It's also sold at Whole Foods.

You can use regular vegetable broth too, and sometimes I do. But I really love to use the mushroom broth in my recipes.
Thanks, I will look next time I'm at Whole Foods
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes