U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 06:05 PM

5,683 posts, read 9,577,667 times

Advertisements

I cheat and use cube steaks (the pieces of round steak that the butcher shop runs through the tenderizer) when I make chicken-fried steaks. They come out wonderfully tender and very flavorful.

When I make chicken-fried steak, I start by setting the oven to 250 degrees and putting a wide shallow pan with a rack in the center of the oven. I use a big cast-iron skillet over a medium flame (gas stove here, but somewhere in the mid-point of the available temperature range for the burner), and make sure to get the pan good and hot before I put anything into it.

Once the pan is hot enough, I pour in enough vegetable oil to generously cover the bottom of the pan, wait a moment until it shimmers, then ease in the double-dredged (flour, egg-milk mixture, flour) steak. I leave it alone until the meat juices start leaking through the flour on the top, then I carefully turn it over. I leave it be until the underside is nicely browned and crunchy-looking (lifting up the edge to peek under and confirm that it's ready), then I transfer it to the rack in the oven.

I continue with the rest of the steaks - my family never lets me get away with making fewer than half a dozen - and as the subsequent steaks are cooked, the earlier ones stay warm in the oven. They also continue cooking gradually, and because they're up on a rack, the crust stays sealed and crunchy, keeping all the juice inside. When the steaks are all cooked, they all spend a bit more time in the oven while I make the cream gravy, so by the time I plate them, they're all pretty well-done, but still juicy and tender.

I've gotten rave reviews for decades by following that basic process.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 02:13 AM

114,775 posts, read 58,250,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
I cheat and use cube steaks (the pieces of round steak that the butcher shop runs through the tenderizer) when I make chicken-fried steaks. They come out wonderfully tender and very flavorful.

When I make chicken-fried steak, I start by setting the oven to 250 degrees and putting a wide shallow pan with a rack in the center of the oven. I use a big cast-iron skillet over a medium flame (gas stove here, but somewhere in the mid-point of the available temperature range for the burner), and make sure to get the pan good and hot before I put anything into it.

Once the pan is hot enough, I pour in enough vegetable oil to generously cover the bottom of the pan, wait a moment until it shimmers, then ease in the double-dredged (flour, egg-milk mixture, flour) steak. I leave it alone until the meat juices start leaking through the flour on the top, then I carefully turn it over. I leave it be until the underside is nicely browned and crunchy-looking (lifting up the edge to peek under and confirm that it's ready), then I transfer it to the rack in the oven.

I continue with the rest of the steaks - my family never lets me get away with making fewer than half a dozen - and as the subsequent steaks are cooked, the earlier ones stay warm in the oven. They also continue cooking gradually, and because they're up on a rack, the crust stays sealed and crunchy, keeping all the juice inside. When the steaks are all cooked, they all spend a bit more time in the oven while I make the cream gravy, so by the time I plate them, they're all pretty well-done, but still juicy and tender.

I've gotten rave reviews for decades by following that basic process.
That's not cheating Bookworm ...it's the right way to tenderize chicken fried steak. I always cook them in a frying pan though. Gonna have to try your oven method. That would be chicken fried-and-baked steaks ..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes