U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 01:29 PM

18,638 posts, read 23,135,136 times

Advertisements

1 Jar (8 oz) of classico pesto (made by progresso)
1 lbs boneless skinless thighs, breasts or tenderloins (you choose)

place chicken in a large zip loc bag, pour sauce over chicken. Close bag and shake bag to coat the pesto onto the chicken. Let marinate 2 hours. You can grill these outside, in a fry pan or bake in the oven. I had this at a friend's house last weekend and he used Bell and Evans Chicken tenderloins, But any brand you like will do.If using more than 1 lb of chicken I suggest 2 jars then. I am not one to buy jar pesto but let me tell you it's delicious, great garlic and basil flavor and convenient. It only cost $2.99 for the jar.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 07:32 AM

37,407 posts, read 46,067,760 times
Doing this tonight. Considering serving them over angel hair, and topping with sauteed sweet onion and mushrooms, maybe a sprinkle of mozz. Not decided yet about grilling, pan-sauteeing, or baking the chicken.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:39 AM

17,336 posts, read 29,105,268 times
I bought the pesto sauce last week so that I could try this. Will do next week, I think!

Old 06-22-2012, 08:56 AM

That particular prepared pesto (say that five times fast!) is actually pretty decent...a little more salty, so I go lighter with it, because it's got more cheese in it than I ever use when I make my own. But it's good in a pinch, and right now, my pots of basil and protesting the drought we're having, so I don't want to strip them naked at the moment.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:31 PM

I am glad everyone is trying this. I am making this for Sunday Nights dinner. Over pasta sounds even better.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:28 PM

236 posts, read 433,250 times
I know up front that I will totally get flamed for this, but I'm cool with that and not worried about it.

Lubby, I have to say that while I appreciate your enthusiastic contributions to the forum [all 15+ posts a day of them, yikes], I have one comment. Most of the recipes that you post here, like this one, are less recipes than they are home-ec 101, cooking for college dorm room student types.

This "recipe" isn't so much a recipe as it is common sense.

"Open jar of store bought pesto and mix with chicken before cooking",
"Open jar of Prego, heat and pour over boxed pasta and toss with chicken"
"Crush up sugary cereal, and coat chicken with it and bake"

These items might qualify as a meal, but it's hardly what people look for when reading cooking forums for suggestions.

I have a bitchin' recipe for PB&J, I bet nobody can guess how I do it! Let me write out the instructions!

Everyone can commence calling me a jerk now.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:38 PM

Who really cares? I like cooking from scratch as much as the next person, but I'm not the type to turn down a pre-made sauce if it tastes good just because it's premade.

Most recipes are common sense. There are only so many variations of food preparation, let's get real. They're pretty much all variations on a theme. Doesn't mean people don't peruse food websites and threads for memory jogs or inspiration. I'm not making chicken marinated in prepared pesto because it's so revolutionary and creative, and I've never had such an exotic thing before...I'm having it because I haven't made it in a while, and it sounds good to me tonight.

I would say I do about half my searching for elaborate recipes for when I want to go to a lot of effort, and about half my searching for quick, easy, simple and basic stuff. Not because I don't know HOW to cook simply without looking it up, but for ideas to break out of ruts.

Everyone can commence calling me a faux foodie, now, because I don't turn my nose up at easy-prep ideas.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:24 AM

8,876 posts, read 14,531,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Everyone can commence calling me a faux foodie, now, because I don't turn my nose up at easy-prep ideas.
Same here and I like to cook. Sometimes those of us who are used to making a big fuss in the kitchen (yes, I grow my own basil and make my own pesto) miss the most obvious, simple ideas. Based on this suggestion, I would keep a jar of the suggested store-bought pesto in the pantry. I will also copy TabulaRasa and serve over "angel hair, and topping with sauteed sweet onion and mushrooms, maybe a sprinkle of mozz." Surely even the Barefoot Contessa might have to make dinner in a hysterical rush sometimes and that's when my mind goes blank.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:08 AM

Judging by the box mixes and jarred, prepared stuff Ina Garten's company markets, I'm guessing she's okay with it.

The chicken turned out good. I usually sautee chicken breasts in the pan, but this time, I made parchment paper bundles and baked them. It was really great and moist, and the pesto stayed yummy. Next time, I'd probably slice and roast a handful of cherry tomatoes, and maybe sautee some mushrooms, and add them to the onion and pepper mix.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subzro View Post
I know up front that I will totally get flamed for this, but I'm cool with that and not worried about it.

Lubby, I have to say that while I appreciate your enthusiastic contributions to the forum [all 15+ posts a day of them, yikes], I have one comment. Most of the recipes that you post here, like this one, are less recipes than they are home-ec 101, cooking for college dorm room student types.

This "recipe" isn't so much a recipe as it is common sense.

"Open jar of store bought pesto and mix with chicken before cooking",
"Open jar of Prego, heat and pour over boxed pasta and toss with chicken"
"Crush up sugary cereal, and coat chicken with it and bake"

These items might qualify as a meal, but it's hardly what people look for when reading cooking forums for suggestions.

I have a bitchin' recipe for PB&J, I bet nobody can guess how I do it! Let me write out the instructions!

Everyone can commence calling me a jerk now.
You have a right to your own opinion but so far you seem to be only one who is complaining about the recipes I post. I see you felt compelled to comment in a negative way.If you don't like what I post then don't read it or comment on it. It serves no purpose for those who do enjoy my recipes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes