U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2012, 01:22 PM

20,545 posts, read 27,741,366 times

Advertisements

Wow...who knew this could be done. This is a great idea for the summer when you want some homemade bread but not the heat from the oven. It is very easy and no rising time is involved

This is what I did:
1 cup warm water
1 Tbl. sugar or honey...I used honey
1 Tbl. yeast

I mix all of that together with a whisk in a big bowl and let it rest about 10 minutes.

1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup white flour
2 Tbl. oil....I used olive oil.
1 tsp. salt

(You can omit this)
I also added 4 tsp. vital wheat gluten, next time I will not use that, and 2 Tbl. ground flaxseed

Mix the dry ingredients with the wet until it is workable. Then knead the dough 4-5 minutes using extra flour as needed so it is not too sticky.

Get the crockpot ready:
I used an oval crockpot.
Crumple up some foil into little balls or use a trivet or canning jar rings to sit in the bottom of your crockpot.
Add 1 cup of water to your crockpot.
Grease a bowl or bread pan that will fit inside your crockpot and on top of the crumpled foil.
Add the dough to the greased bowl or pan you are using.
Take a piece of oiled foil and make a loose tent over your dough. This keeps the moisture off your bread.

Put it all into the crockpot and cover. Turn on high and cook for 3-3/12 hours.

It does not rise like regular bread but I am pretty pleased with the outcome. Next time I am going to try a "round" French loaf.

Some pictures of my bread:

The pyrex bowl that I used to cook the bread in.

My round loaf of bread and a few slices

Last edited by ylisa7; 06-18-2012 at 02:37 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 04:58 PM

859 posts, read 1,975,161 times
oh yummy ! cool Idea
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes