U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 05:29 AM

36,503 posts, read 47,735,716 times

Advertisements

Anybody ever try this?

Hard-Cooked Eggs - Recipe | Cook’s Country - Recipes That Work
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 10:00 AM

77,813 posts, read 91,696,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
This is why you will see them called hard cooked sometimes and hard boiled others. I have tried them both ways, it seems the real secret is getting them into the ice water quickly, not whether you actually boil them or just bring the water to a boil and turn them off. I do keep them in the water a little longer. Some people will say 5 min, some 10 and others 15. If I am not boiling them, I will let them sit for about 15 min in the water.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:15 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,326,272 times
I agree with nmnita.

I think the green and smell (and hard to shell) comes with letting them cool down while hot. No matter how long I boil them I always do this;

1. Have a quart jar filled with ice, then filled with water
2. From boiling the eggs and pan go into the sink with cold water already running
3. Pour the quart jar of ice water into the pan ASAP

There is never any green or smell no matter how long I boiled them and they shell very easy. Now I don't know why this works. I just know it works for me and I like to boil mine 10 to 15 mins. So it would seem to me it's the cooling period that makes the difference, but I'm not sure. I just know from my experience I want to cool them as fast as possible.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:20 AM

10,084 posts, read 12,393,525 times
Here's how I do it.

First I prick little holes in the base using a device that's a combination egg slicer and pricker. This prevents eggs rom cracking. Then I heat the water to boiling and the place the eggs in it. At my altitude, 5500', it takes 11-12 minutes to get a rather soft hard-boiled egg. At sea level two minutes less should be about right. Then I take the pot of eggs and place it under a stream of water to bring the temperature down. and finally fill the pot with ice. When it's cold enough I shell the eggs easily and use them for deviled eggs or egg salad. I have no problems with green yolks or with the shelling.

I learned about pricking the eggs on a c-d thread a few years ago and that made it perfect.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:12 AM

18,847 posts, read 33,915,042 times
Ha, I tried that method a few weeks ago...and ended up with eggs still raw in the yolk. Completely annoyed me too, I had to throw them out, and start fresh. Maybe it is an elevation thing...did not think about that...I am not sure what my elevation is, but it is pretty high, I live in the mountians.

So, I just did it the same way I normally do..cold water, added eggs, boiled them for about ten minutes. Put them in ice water bath, they turned out great.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Here's how I do it.

First I prick little holes in the base using a device that's a combination egg slicer and pricker. This prevents eggs rom cracking. Then I heat the water to boiling and the place the eggs in it. At my altitude, 5500', it takes 11-12 minutes to get a rather soft hard-boiled egg. At sea level two minutes less should be about right. Then I take the pot of eggs and place it under a stream of water to bring the temperature down. and finally fill the pot with ice. When it's cold enough I shell the eggs easily and use them for deviled eggs or egg salad. I have no problems with green yolks or with the shelling.

I learned about pricking the eggs on a c-d thread a few years ago and that made it perfect.
I have never done the pricking and probably wouldn't but it is an interesting idea...I wonder how many others do this? Even majoring in foods and nutrition I never heard of this. Of course we won't talk about how many years ago I was in college, probably longer than most of you have been alive...

Old 07-08-2012, 12:21 PM

6,478 posts, read 6,633,869 times
Legendary TV Chef Jacques Pepin says to do it this way and it works perfectly for me.

Prick the eggs on the bottom (wider) end with a push pin, place the eggs in boiling water for exactly ten minutes, shock them in ice water, peel and enjoy.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:51 PM

8,092 posts, read 14,028,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I do keep them in the water a little longer. Some people will say 5 min, some 10 and others 15. If I am not boiling them, I will let them sit for about 15 min in the water.
Depends on what size.
In the CA Egg Commission recipes, they recommended
9 minutes for medium
12 minutes for large
15 minutes for extra large.

Certain times of the year I get jumbos with double yolks from a near-by ranch - I let those eggs sit in the water for 20 to 25 minutes. Humongous deviled eggs - I always feel sorry for the chicken

Old 07-08-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Depends on what size.
In the CA Egg Commission recipes, they recommended
9 minutes for medium
12 minutes for large
15 minutes for extra large.

Certain times of the year I get jumbos with double yolks from a near-by ranch - I let those eggs sit in the water for 20 to 25 minutes.the umongous deviled eggs - I always feel sorry for the chicken
I am smiling at your comment because I say the same thing: we get our eggs,free range from the "egg lady" We don't get double yokes, which surprises me, but the size of some of those eggs, poor little hen. Then there are the ones that are long and pointed at both ends, wonder about them as well? We pay $2 a dozen, they are always freshly laid, in fact sometimes she hasn't had time to completely clean them. They will come in all sizes, she charges the same, just fills the carton and we take what we get. Rarely are they too small....sometimes they are so big the lid to the carton won't close.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:04 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,021,290 times
This is how I've always made hard boiled eggs- but I usually cook about 5 or 6 in a large pot- and leave them in for 12 minutes once removing them from the heat!

Enjoy them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes