U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2012, 03:07 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,256,269 times

Advertisements

I need good ideas on how to cook yellow squash. I've grilled it, smoked it, skin on, skin off.........it is just hard to like.

can you all help me out. maybe i'm grill'n and smoke'n it wrong. zuc's are just so much better

thanks

have a good week
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 03:13 PM

114,744 posts, read 57,159,969 times
Ah phooey! Yellow is good as any in my opinion they're all like grits.. without seasoning they aren't much. Butter for sure. I throw cabbage and cauliflower in with it maybe even broccoli ..... a little onion. It's all good.

Well now grillin' them I've yet to try. Hard to add much taste there. Except for seasoning. Cook them in a pan on the grill and add suggested ingredients. Call me when it and the rib-eyes are ready! Have a good week yourself!

PS: I leave skin on but those orange squash gotta peel!

Old 07-16-2012, 03:13 PM

6,488 posts, read 7,453,815 times
I'm with you there...I find it hard to like yellow/summer squash, but I love zucchini. The only way I really like it is in a casserole like this one:

Dixie Cafe Baked Squash Recipe - Food.com - 377706

I could eat grilled zucchini every day and not get tired of it.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:24 PM

4,470 posts, read 7,152,111 times
Steamed, mashed with butter...works for me.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:30 PM

8,517 posts, read 4,123,767 times
I love yellow summer squash. One of my favorite, and unhealthy, ways is to fry it. Slice it, dip in egg, and bread crumbs. Cracker meal is best if you can find it. Fry in a pan with oil. Drain. Dash of salt while its cooling. Absolutely delicious.

I only fix this once a summer as a treat.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:33 PM

7,045 posts, read 5,941,325 times
I put it in my stir fry, with brocolli, snow peas, peppers, and onions. My daughter makes a low carb "lasagne", slicing the zukes and yellow squash the long way, into lasagne noodle shaped strips, then layers them with the filling and sauce and bakes it like you would a regular lasagne. It's delicious and different. I also put it in my "kebabs", either veggie or with meat. I put chunks of yellow squash, zucchini, cherry tomatoes, peppers, onions, and beef cubes on a skewer and grill on the barbecue. For vegetarian guests, I make them without meat, or as a side dish to barbecued steak or chicken.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:06 PM

18,233 posts, read 22,638,715 times
Yellow squash pie:
3 yellow squash chopped skins on
1 onion chopped
1/2 cup bisquick
1 cup milk
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2 clove garlic chopped
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 cup shredded swiss or cheddar
1/4 cup grated romano cheese
3 eggs
Mix all together in a bowl, pour into a greased pie plate or casserole dish and bake on 400 for about 40-45- minutes.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:12 AM

20,544 posts, read 27,460,932 times
There are some more ideas here:
//www.city-data.com/forum/recip...ow-squash.html

I am also getting ready to make Yellow Summer Squash Relish:

Prep: 1 hour + marinating Process: 15 min. Yield: 24 Servings

10 cups shredded yellow summer squash (about 4 pounds)
2 large onions, chopped
1 large green pepper, chopped
6 tablespoons canning salt
4 cups sugar
3 cups cider vinegar
1 tablespoon each celery seed, ground mustard and ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Directions
In a large container, combine the squash, onions, green pepper and salt. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Drain; rinse and drain again.
In a Dutch oven, combine the sugar, vinegar and seasonings; bring to a boil. Add squash mixture; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat.
Carefully ladle hot mixture into six hot pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles; wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 15 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Refrigerate remaining relish for up to 1 week. Yield: 6 pints.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:19 AM

77,168 posts, read 89,938,546 times
you can do like younglisa suggested if you have a lot of it: the yellow relish is very much like a zuke relish. If you don't want to make relish, I like to either just saute it with onions and a few spices or use in a cassarole with other squash. My cassarole is a little different than Lubby's but the same idea. I use stove top stuffing, a lot of squash, (barely cooked and drained to remove some of the liquid) onions, mushrooms, cream of mushroom soup or cream fo chicken) eggs and cheese. if you want to have a little kick, you can add a chopped jalapeno or 2 or some chile flakes. pour into a baking dish, top with cheese and bake for about 1/2 hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes