U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 05:32 PM

36,503 posts, read 47,475,392 times

Advertisements

I'm sure I'm not alone in trying to maximize my effort, time and dirty dishes by trying to get at least 2 meals out of one effort.

I sometimes buy a rotisserie chicken at the grocery store, serve some for dinner with a side or two, then make fixings for chicken pot pie and still have pot pie filling I serve over rice later in the week. I boil the carcass for broth and add what comes off the bones to soup or another pasta dish. I get alot for the approximate $5 I spend on that chicken.

Whenever I make meat loaf I count on leftovers to add to my jarred spaghetti sauce later in the week.

What are some dishes you can get 2 or more meals from?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 05:50 PM

16,097 posts, read 21,621,393 times
Baked ham...you could do the same sort of thing you mentioned...and have sandwiches or breakfast meat too. Buy the already prepared pulled pork, or bar-b-que beef (in a carton)... make hot dish or make pulled pork or beef sandwiches, splurge on a carton of potato salad for a side dish. I also enjoy a nice home made pasta salad, add snow peas, cherry tomatoes, onion to cooked elbow macaroni...I use the cheap italian dressing and pour it over the mix. Really good w/ some french bread or good crackers, eaten cold it's perfect for warm summer days and like most pasta dishes, even better the next day. And, make some cold meat loaf sandwiches next time....slice of onion a lil miracle whip on good bread..yum.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:07 PM

7,351 posts, read 10,179,502 times
Big batch of cornbread! You can eat it with chili, then fry it and serve with a side of veggies, dice and bake into croutons for a salad with bacon bits (or chopped ham from JanND's post above), then stuff a turkey with the rest.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:48 PM

18,638 posts, read 23,144,078 times
I made lumpia's yesterday and the filling called for ground prk, shredded carrots onions and garlic, I actually had left overs so I put some of this mixture in my husbands eggs this morning, and the rest I put into some jasmine rice I had cooked and added some soy sauce to it. I got 3 meals out of this. I'll make 1 lbs of pasta and get 2 meals out of it. for example I made cavatapi pasta last week with broccoli rabe. I took about 2 cups of cooked pasta aside and made a tuna casserole with it. I had 4 big zucchinis and I made 2 bisquick zucchini pies with it, one for us and one for my mom.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:59 AM

77,814 posts, read 91,232,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I'm sure I'm not alone in trying to maximize my effort, time and dirty dishes by trying to get at least 2 meals out of one effort.

I sometimes buy a rotisserie chicken at the grocery store, serve some for dinner with a side or two, then make fixings for chicken pot pie and still have pot pie filling I serve over rice later in the week. I boil the carcass for broth and add what comes off the bones to soup or another pasta dish. I get alot for the approximate $5 I spend on that chicken.

Whenever I make meat loaf I count on leftovers to add to my jarred spaghetti sauce later in the week.

What are some dishes you can get 2 or more meals from?
Those are two of our favorites, but I can think of a few more: how about a roast, then make old fashion hash a day or so later? Of course ham can be used so many ways and one we really enjoy is pork shoulder or butt. You can smoke it, in the oven or outside. Then use it for pulled pork sandwhiches, pork burritos or a million other ways. You can cook it on top of the stove as well. Then do all kinds of things with it or you can braise it, in the oven for a few hours with veggies. What is left over you can make chile or pulled pork sandwhiches.

Nita

Old 07-31-2012, 07:45 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,694,168 times
As another person indicated, baked ham would be good. Additional thoughts on the ham leftovers: 1) ham and beans; 2) grind the ham and make ham loaf or ham salad with pickles, eggs, mayo etc; 3) macaroni and cheese with ham.

I always make a lot of chicken to have leftovers so I can make: 1) shredded chicken with barbeque sauce; 2) chicken pie made with mixed vegetables and cream of chicken soup topped with biscuits; 3) shredded chicken in enchilladas; 4) chicken salad with things like walnuts and grapes; 5) make a few dumplings and add to the broth I cooked it in along with bits of chicken; 6) put chicken pieces on my lettuce salad. I always get several meals from leftover chicken. It seems to be the type of meat which is most versatile for the type of foods we eat.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:16 AM

11,815 posts, read 18,838,714 times
Any stir-fry leftovers can be part of a yummy fusion burrito - add some shredded cabbage, and some plum or hoisin sauce, roll and eat.

Leftover roast anything makes great taco meat.

Do you sense a theme here?

Old 07-31-2012, 10:07 AM

18,638 posts, read 23,144,078 times
Using left over ham you could make split pea soup.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:05 PM

16,097 posts, read 21,621,393 times
Lubby...What is lumpias? and recipe please For the roast suggestion...My familiy favorite is left over roast, simmered for quite awhile til it is falling apart then home made noodles...I roll them out and cut about 1 in wide 2-3 in long...sort of like dumplings.
3 egg noodle recipe ( I usually triple for big pot of beef and noodles)
flour about 3 cups in a large mixing bowl. Make a hole in the middle, add three whole eggs...stir w/ fork....add flour as needed til you can roll it out. Consistancy of a soft dough. I roll out w/ large jar or rolling pin if you have it. About 1/4 inch thickness...slice lengthwise 1 inch wide x 2-3 inches long. The meat has simmered, water...you can add beef bullion for flavor....should be soupy. Add the noodles right from the cutting board. Tip...if dough is sticky just keep adding pinches of flour. Let cook in pot w/ beef and broth for approx 15-20....simmer. Serve alone, or w/ a vegetable and salad. Let me know when you try it.
While we are cooking...anyone have any great rhubarb recipes?? Thanks all!!

Old 07-31-2012, 09:59 PM

8,092 posts, read 13,976,614 times
Make a big batch of roasted vegetables. (Summer squash, winter squash, potatoes, mushrooms, onions, whatever, tossed with oil and spices).

The next day, chunk some into bite-size and use them as a filling for fancy omelets.
Or toss some in your spaghetti sauce or in your chili.
Saute some chicken, make some alfredo sauce, add the veggies.
Make Dirty Rice and stir some in.
Freeze some and add them to soup a month later.

Can't wait for winter so I can use my oven again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes