Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 03:47 PM

48,132 posts, read 22,004,457 times

Advertisements

my DP nixed the idea of fried rice for supper.....says he......lets have it for lunch tomorrow....so I am making seafood linguini....with some local shrimp, sea scallops and some adorable little tiny calamari squid. I will combine some butter and good olive oil and red pepper flakes and parsley and cook the seafood in that. I might add a little chicken stock to the mix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 06:50 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,188,315 times
grneyedmustang thank you I had to do a lot of trial & error before I reach that "recipe" we really enjoy it though.

elston sorry your fried rice was a no go I hope you get to have it soon it is an awesome way to use up rice & other leftovers. I can make it so many ways with whatever leftovers are in the fridge.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:13 PM

23,536 posts, read 24,029,400 times
We always do fried rice with "Hot and Spicy" Spam and scrambled eggs (chopped into pieces). Yummy, once it's done.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:05 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
Great recipes here and agree that it's a what might taste good in there/everything but the kitchen sink type recipe.

Two tips I can offer, make sure the rice is cooked and completely cooled. Overnight in fridge is best. But if you are like me and not organized, I let it cool slightly and toss in freezer for a quick thorough cooling for about an hour.

If I use leftover meats, I cook in a touch of soy sauce (if too meat too salty, then hoisin/oyster sauce) till browned, remove. Then I also cook the veggies. Then tossed it all in together in the end in very very very hot oil and then toss in the cooled rice. Then very little soy sauce right at the end, enough to color/flavor it. Trick is not too much or it makes it soupy.

After it's done, I put a touch of sesame seed oil just before serving. Don't cook it as it's a delicate flavor. And it's like barely a drizzle around the rice once.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:26 AM

57 posts, read 112,439 times
I only followed this recipe loosely, omitting bean sprouts, regular onions, and a few other things. I basically only had diced carrots, green onions, egg, rice, soy sauce & sesame oil. I added much more soy sauce & sesame oil (equal parts) to the rice & it tasted fantastic. DH loved this & asked me to make again with chicken in it next time & served with egg rolls. Really easy recipe & better than most Chinese restaurants for sure!

Old 02-19-2014, 01:44 PM

802 posts, read 642,911 times
Another one who swears by bacon grease for my fried rice.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:56 PM

512 posts, read 948,027 times
Good thread! I just made it with bacon, rice, eggs and soy sauce..don't judge that's all i had lol and it was delicious!

Old 02-20-2014, 02:01 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
I make vegetable fried rice

2 cups cooked jasmine rice
2 tbsp. canola oil
1 onion chopped
1 1/2 cup Cole slaw or broccoli slaw
2 cloves chopped garlic
1 cup frozen peas
1 tsp. dry ginger
1/4 low sodium soy sauce
3 large eggs scrambled

Heat wok or large skillet on high, add oil, add slaw, garlic, onions and peas and cook for 4 minutes stirring constantly. Add cooked rice, ginger and soy sauce and continue frying until the rice gets slightly browned. Beat 3 eggs in a bowl
Add to a small fry pan and scramble. Add cooked eggs, stir well and serve.

Old 08-25-2019, 08:12 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,088,791 times
In my opinion it's impossible to make it as good as takeout. I also like Leeann Chin's fried rice - can't make it close to that, either. It's just a tough dish to make good at home. Kind of like pizza, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsieur Boston View Post
Very similar to mine except I add oyster sauce. Just a touch - maybe a tablespoon or so. I've found that the oyster sauce is the "secret ingredient" that was needed to make it taste great. When I first tried to make fried rice I just used the soy sauce but it was always missing something. The oyster sauce solved that.

The great thing about fried rice is you can add whatever you want to it, so measurements pretty much go out the window. It's just a matter of adding and tasting as you go (at least in my case).
I might just have to try some of that oyster sauce. I don't believe I've ever tried it before.

I've got a mess of vegetables I need to cook up (without rice, since I'm trying to lose about 15 pounds right now) and I'm wondering if I can just wok/stirfry up them with a similar fried rice recipe?

Maybe I'll try some of that oyster sauce - I do have sesame oil and I do believe that can add an extra layer of flavor you wouldn't otherwise get from just regular canola/vegetable oil?

Maybe peanut oil is another "secret" flavor I need to try?? Peanut oil is another thing I think I've stayed away from or never even tried because it's expensive??

Old 08-25-2019, 11:00 AM

130,326 posts, read 12,105,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
In my opinion it's impossible to make it as good as takeout. I also like Leeann Chin's fried rice - can't make it close to that, either. It's just a tough dish to make good at home. Kind of like pizza, I guess.

I might just have to try some of that oyster sauce. I don't believe I've ever tried it before.

I've got a mess of vegetables I need to cook up (without rice, since I'm trying to lose about 15 pounds right now) and I'm wondering if I can just wok/stirfry up them with a similar fried rice recipe?

Maybe I'll try some of that oyster sauce - I do have sesame oil and I do believe that can add an extra layer of flavor you wouldn't otherwise get from just regular canola/vegetable oil?

Maybe peanut oil is another "secret" flavor I need to try?? Peanut oil is another thing I think I've stayed away from or never even tried because it's expensive??
Yes you can do a veggie stir fry. I would not cook with the sesame oil, add a few drops to the plate, once served.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes