Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 04:38 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,776,842 times

Advertisements

Been reading the Little House books to my kids this last week by Laura Ingalls Wilder. She mentioned a lot of food items I don't recall ever eating. Mince meat pies? WTF is a mince meat pie? Vinegar pie? Here's a thread to drop your old school (Old Timey) recipes on.
Kansas Pioneer Vinegar Pie
http://www.heritagerecipes.com/pie-r...negar-pie.htm3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 08:09 AM

2,186 posts, read 4,546,468 times
My Grandma made mince meat pie and I recall it actually had meat in it with a lot of spices. I never ate it - it looked gross to me. I see stuff at the stores now for mince meat filling but I don't think it actually has meat in it. I have heard of Vinegar pie before and I have a couple of recipe books I bought in St Louis which have "old timey" recipes in them. I also remember Mayonnaise Cake from when I was a kid. It looked and tasted chocolaty and it was really moist. Mama had a really old cookbook that had all kinds of gross stuff in it using organs (brains, kidneys, etc.). I was always trying to make sure she wasn't feeding that stuff to me!!!!

Old 08-16-2012, 08:41 AM

41,725 posts, read 74,665,297 times
I dug up this old chestnut for you:

//www.city-data.com/forum/recip...-precious.html

Old 08-16-2012, 08:50 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,266,288 times
A contemporary American mincemeat pie is a sweet fruit pie of chopped apples and raisins and cinnamon and other spices. Bordens "None Such" brand mincemeat can always be found in jars in supermarkets around the holidays.

It's a "mock" of the traditional English pie called mincemeat, which was made from a mixture of chopped meat and chopped suet (beef fat) plus apples, citrus peels, dried currents, brown sugar, and brandy... lots of brandy... then aged before use. There may be some of this traditional formula sold somewhere in the US, but I've only run across it in the UK, at Christmas time.

Years and years ago, when Graham Kerr was doing the Galloping Gourmet show in NY, he did an entire show on preparing authentic English mincemeat, and I was consumed with the idea of making some for Christmas dinner a week hence. Grabbing pencil and paper I did my best to keep up with an incredibly complex recipe, with an ingredient list as long as my forearm, largely consisting of items I had no idea where to get, and racing towards the finish he packed the mix into a large jar, filled it to the top with brandy, and then affixing the top with a flourish, he said "and put it away in a cool dark place to age for a minimum of one year," and signed off. Arrrrrrrrgggghhh!!!!

I threw the recipe at the TV set in frustration, and proceeded to buy my first of many jars of None Such.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:22 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,372,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Been reading the Little House books to my kids this last week by Laura Ingalls Wilder. She mentioned a lot of food items I don't recall ever eating. Mince meat pies? WTF is a mince meat pie? Vinegar pie? Here's a thread to drop your old school (Old Timey) recipes on.
Wow, that brings back memories - my mom read us the whole series when we were young.

Recently, I swooped on some special "read aloud" editions of the Little House books at our local Goodwill bookstore, plan on reading them with my daughter.

Vinegar pie kind of reminds me of "Mock Apple Pie" which I can remember being served at get-togethers when I was a child in the Midwest.

One of my favorite parts of th Little House books was when she talked about the maple syrup harvest and making the maple candy. We're maple syrup purists here but I don't think my young neices and nephews have ever even had the "real thing".

Old 08-16-2012, 11:46 AM

16,233 posts, read 27,278,222 times
That book series is a national treasure. If she hadn't memorialized her childhood in those books, who among us would still know about what the pioneers' lives were like? I loved reading those books, they made me laugh and cry. I remember when the girls are arguing over whether the stuffing should be sage or onion. I say, both! Loved the part where Wilder describes cheese making - we take so much for granted these days.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:51 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,492,238 times
Quote:
I have one of my grandma's first cookbooks. One of the 'recipes' is for "Thanksgiving Dinner".

The first step is to, 3 days B4 Thanksgiving, hang the turkey on the north side of the house.......

My dad and I made tomato jam from it last year. It was surprisingly good!!

Old 08-16-2012, 11:54 AM

6,404 posts, read 7,603,556 times
My vintage cookbook collection doesn't go back that far but my 1943 Joy of Cooking has recipes to use for rationing during the war, along with a reminder to do it cheerfully.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:05 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,492,238 times
Quote:
Think it was "Little House in the Big Woods" where they made candy by filling a pan with snow and drizzling maple syrup into it and letting it set. That picture always sticks in my mind..........

Old 08-16-2012, 12:16 PM

41,725 posts, read 74,665,297 times
I make tomato jam every summer. It's fabulous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes