Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 09:23 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,419,229 times

Advertisements

Allright . . . I give up on finishing my cover letter and "slanted resume". Grrr! Won't go into but I was sidetracked by an ongoing problem and I am PAYING them to do something. Phew! Monday was going great until then. We need the tasting party right now!

So . . . in the interest of relaxing I found the Banana Nut Bread recipe and am posting it!

BANANA NUT BREAD

1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup mashed ripe bananas
1/4 cup chopped nuts
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
Cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and beat well. Stir in mashed bananas and mix well. Stir in nuts. Sift dry ingredients and stir in. Pour into greased loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.

I know that my mother got this recipe from the Atlanta Journal sometime during the early sixties. Have no idea what she used before, because this became her favorite. We had a cookbook ,"Southern Cooking", by Mrs. S. R. Dull that was sort of the equivalent to The Joy of Cooking in the south. My mother didn't have many large cookbooks and this was the one she used the most -- her "go to" cookbook. She liked what I call "little" cookbooks from churches, women's clubs, garden clubs, etc. Mother did get a lot of recipes from the newspaper and loved reading the food section and cutting recipes out on Wednesdays -- the food section and grocery ad day. (I think the food section day has been Thursday for several years now). I remember what she said when we bought a copy of the Dull book for me from Rich's (a southern department store).

"Just about everything in here is real good but don't use her banana bread recipe. I don't like it. I like the one from the Journal".

I'll post the Dull recipe sometime this week.

One more note . . . I know there are three copies of the recipe floating around somewhere. That's funny . . . I have a lot of family stuff relating to the kitchen in threes. Three generations of iron skillets, three copies of the Dull cookbook spanning three generations, three copies of several recipes. If Mother really liked something she would have several copies. I haven't found the "big card" yet with her handwriting but have seen it since I moved. The paper clipping is around somewhere because I saw it while I was packing up. This copy is typed on a piece of paper with the typewriter from our five and dime store so she would have typed it in the office on Monday, when she did bookkeeping and paid bills. I still have the typewriter. This is something I want to frame and hang over the typewriter. (Had a lot of things like this I planned on doing the last several years but the economy took care of that!).

Let's just hope I get the job I'm applying for tomorrow -- or some of the others I haven't heard from! In the meantime, the recipe is in a safe place!

Last edited by antiquesmountainapache; 08-20-2012 at 09:26 PM.. Reason: Punctuation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 06:38 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,350,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquesmountainapache View Post
Allright . . . I give up on finishing my cover letter and "slanted resume". Grrr! Won't go into but I was sidetracked by an ongoing problem and I am PAYING them to do something. Phew! Monday was going great until then. We need the tasting party right now!

So . . . in the interest of relaxing I found the Banana Nut Bread recipe and am posting it!

BANANA NUT BREAD

1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup mashed ripe bananas
1/4 cup chopped nuts
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
Cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and beat well. Stir in mashed bananas and mix well. Stir in nuts. Sift dry ingredients and stir in. Pour into greased loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.

I know that my mother got this recipe from the Atlanta Journal sometime during the early sixties. Have no idea what she used before, because this became her favorite. We had a cookbook ,"Southern Cooking", by Mrs. S. R. Dull that was sort of the equivalent to The Joy of Cooking in the south. My mother didn't have many large cookbooks and this was the one she used the most -- her "go to" cookbook. She liked what I call "little" cookbooks from churches, women's clubs, garden clubs, etc. Mother did get a lot of recipes from the newspaper and loved reading the food section and cutting recipes out on Wednesdays -- the food section and grocery ad day. (I think the food section day has been Thursday for several years now). I remember what she said when we bought a copy of the Dull book for me from Rich's (a southern department store).

"Just about everything in here is real good but don't use her banana bread recipe. I don't like it. I like the one from the Journal".

I'll post the Dull recipe sometime this week.

One more note . . . I know there are three copies of the recipe floating around somewhere. That's funny . . . I have a lot of family stuff relating to the kitchen in threes. Three generations of iron skillets, three copies of the Dull cookbook spanning three generations, three copies of several recipes. If Mother really liked something she would have several copies. I haven't found the "big card" yet with her handwriting but have seen it since I moved. The paper clipping is around somewhere because I saw it while I was packing up. This copy is typed on a piece of paper with the typewriter from our five and dime store so she would have typed it in the office on Monday, when she did bookkeeping and paid bills. I still have the typewriter. This is something I want to frame and hang over the typewriter. (Had a lot of things like this I planned on doing the last several years but the economy took care of that!).

Let's just hope I get the job I'm applying for tomorrow -- or some of the others I haven't heard from! In the meantime, the recipe is in a safe place!
Good luck with the job!!! Thanks for the recipe, and sharing a sweet story! =) I think everything in life should come with a sweet story!!!!!

Old 08-21-2012, 09:56 AM

3,244 posts, read 1,309,108 times
Default Here ya go. Sorry it took so long to get back to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I have some buttermilk I need to use, can you post your exact recipe?
Sift together:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Cream:
1 cup butter
1 1/2 cups brown sugar (dark or light, it's a matter of taste)
2 cups mashed overripe bananas

4 eggs, beaten
Slowly add in :

1/2 cup buttermilk

Gradually add sifted mixture

Fold in:
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

Spray pans with Baker's Joy (I only use glass bread pans)
Bake on 350 for and hour or until firm, depending on your oven.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:43 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,419,229 times
After quite a delay, here is the banana bread recipe from the Dull cookbook.

Banana Bread

1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup mashed bananas
1 teaspoon lemon juice
3 cups sifted flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped pecans

Cream shortening and sugar, beat eggs together and add. Put bananas thru ricer, add lemon juice and then add to creamed mixture. Sift flour with baking powder and salt. Mix quickly with banana mixture, add nuts. Pour into greased loaf pan, bake about 1 hour at 375 degrees, F.

From Southern Cooking
Mrs. S. R. Dull Copyright 1928 Atlanta Georgia
Copyright 1941

Again, this is the recipe my mother didn't like. Her favorite was the one I posted from the Atlanta Journal. I honestly don't remember what she didn't like about this recipe and don't think that she elaborated. My father and I were the big talkers in the family!

I can tell that this particular copy of the cookbook is my mother's from the following paragraph on the title page.

"This book, while produced under wartime coniditons, in full compliance with government regulations for the conservation of paper and other essential materials, is COMPLETE AND UNABRIDGED." The capital letters aren't a typo -- they are on the title page.

Speaking of typos -- there's one I caught and can't find now! Just look over it when you read this.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:21 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,974 times
Here is my favorite recipe - a variation of the one from Cook's Magazine. Sometimes I add walnuts.

• 2 cups all purpose flour
• 3/4 cups sugar (can be reduced to 1/2 and still taste good)
• 3/4 t baking soda
• 1/2 t salt
• 3 very ripe bananas
• 1/4 plain yogurt (or vanilla yogurt or buttermilk)
• 2 large eggs
• 6 T butter, melted and cooled slightly
• 1 t vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9 x 5 loaf pan.
Whisk the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt together in a medium bowl.
In a large mixing bowl, mash the bananas well with a fork, then mix in yogurt, eggs, butter and vanilla and mix well with fork.
Switch to a rubber spatula and gently fold dry ingredients into banana mixuture until just combined.
Batter will be think and slightly chunky.
Pour/scrape batter into pan and bake approximately 55 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Don’t overcook! And also be aware that sometimes — just sometimes — there will be a pocket of banana in the batter that will always come out on the toothpick, so be sure to poke around in other areas.
Cool in pan 5 minutes, then remove bread to a wire rack.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:43 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,406,825 times
My mom makes banana bread but without nuts:
1/2 cup salted butter
1 cup sugar
2 very ripe bananas mashed
1 tsp lemon juice
2 eggs
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3 tsp butter milk ( I take 1/4 milk and add a little vinegar to it and let it sit 5 minutes) then I take 3 tsp from it or you can buy buttermilk.

Cream butter and sugar, add remaining ingredients to creammixture. Place in greased loaf pan and bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees. I use aluminum loaf pans that you can throw away. should make 2 loaves or one giant loaf.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:12 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,350,941 times
Well, I took a loaf of the recipe I used to the bfs parents and I got a double thumbs up so I will be sticking with it!

Old 09-16-2012, 02:15 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
Quote:
Ok, I used to make this a lot out of my grandmas cook book and it was always really good. Well, an evil evil man kept her cook book and I don't have it or the evil man anymore!

I've been wanting some banana nut bread so I found a recipe online and tried it out.

Banana Nut bread

Ingredients
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 2 teaspoons baking soda
• 1 cup butter or margarine
• 2 cups white sugar
• 2 cups mashed overripe bananas
• 4 eggs, beaten
• 1 cup chopped walnuts
Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 9x5 inch loaf pans.
2. Sift the flour, salt and baking soda into a large bowl. In a separate bowl, mix together the butter or margarine and sugar until smooth. Stir in the bananas, eggs, and walnuts until well blended. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry mixture, and stir just until blended. Divide the batter evenly between the two loaf pans.
3. Bake for 60 to 70 minutes in the preheated oven, until a knife inserted into the crown of the loaf comes out clean. Let the loaves cool in the pans for at least 5 minutes, then turn out onto a cooling rack, and cool completely. Wrap in aluminum foil to keep in the moisture. Ideally, refrigerate the loaves for 2 hours or more before serving.

OMG I have not had better banana nut bread EVER! I don't know what was different about it because I can't remember my grandmas recipe but sheesh!

I think I may even add some chocolate chips the next time!!!!

Is your banana nut bread recipe much different than this one?
Actually I use the bisquick banana bread recipe except instead of milk I use coffeemate liquid creamer. I'll dig out the recipe and post it in a bit, I'm being lazy for lunch today and just stuck a frozen pizza in the oven. I made pancakes for breakfast and we are having pork steaks for supper and I decided not to trash the kitchen and clean it up 3 times today, it is Sunday.

Old 09-16-2012, 03:11 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
Frozen pizza is eaten and not bad for a quick lunch but I've had better, now on to the bananna bread recipe I use:

3 cups Bisquick (I only use the original bisquick)
2/3 cup sugar
2 eggs (I beat mine until they are frothy)
1/2 cup milk (I use 3/4 - 1 cup liquid coffee mate original flavor)
1 cup mashed bananas (I use whatever I have on hand, sometimes 2, sometimes 3 sometimes 4)
3/4 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Heat oven to 350, grease and flour loaf pan
Beat all ingredients except nuts in large bowl on low, beat on medium about 3 minutes, stir in nuts, pour into pan. Bake 55 - 60 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.

Old 12-14-2013, 01:02 PM

3,399 posts, read 3,089,643 times
Quote:
Ok, I used to make this a lot out of my grandmas cook book and it was always really good. Well, an evil evil man kept her cook book and I don't have it or the evil man anymore!

I've been wanting some banana nut bread so I found a recipe online and tried it out.

Banana Nut bread

Ingredients
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 2 teaspoons baking soda
• 1 cup butter or margarine
• 2 cups white sugar
• 2 cups mashed overripe bananas
• 4 eggs, beaten
• 1 cup chopped walnuts
Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 9x5 inch loaf pans.
2. Sift the flour, salt and baking soda into a large bowl. In a separate bowl, mix together the butter or margarine and sugar until smooth. Stir in the bananas, eggs, and walnuts until well blended. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry mixture, and stir just until blended. Divide the batter evenly between the two loaf pans.
3. Bake for 60 to 70 minutes in the preheated oven, until a knife inserted into the crown of the loaf comes out clean. Let the loaves cool in the pans for at least 5 minutes, then turn out onto a cooling rack, and cool completely. Wrap in aluminum foil to keep in the moisture. Ideally, refrigerate the loaves for 2 hours or more before serving.

OMG I have not had better banana nut bread EVER! I don't know what was different about it because I can't remember my grandmas recipe but sheesh!

I think I may even add some chocolate chips the next time!!!!

Is your banana nut bread recipe much different than this one?

Pikantari.....just wanted you to know that I made this banana nut bread recipe today and it was fabulous. The only thing I did differently was cut the sugar back 1/4 cup and it was still great. I found that the tops of my loaves browned pretty fast so I covered the loaves with foil sheets with about 16 minutes left to bake. Unfortunately I can't eat much of this and sure wish I could, but Mr. Chickie has already demolished about one half of one loaf!

Thank you for posting this last year. Perhaps others will have a need to bake a banana nut bread for the holidays this year.....this is one I will use over and over again.

Happy Holidays!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes