U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 08:30 PM

5,134 posts, read 6,261,613 times

Advertisements

I guess the canned salmon is fully cooked already. What do you do with it after you opened the can? Is it a good idea to heat in the oven with seasoning?
(by the way are there preservatives in the can?)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 10:21 PM

3,047 posts, read 4,585,689 times
Make salmon patties! There are alot of recipes and you can add what you like but here is my basic recipe:

canned salmon (drained)
chopped onion
1 or 2 raw eggs (depends on how much salmon you are using)
worcestershire sauce (teaspoon or so)
breading (cracker crumbs, bread crumbs or stuffing mix)
salt and pepper

Mix well and form into a hamburger shape. You might need more breading if you can't get the patty to hold its shape. Cook in a lightly oiled skillet until done (I like to cook it slowly on a medium/low heat and then brown the outside). I like mine cooked well so the low/med heat for a longer period time works best for me.

I make my own tartar sauce (mayo/chopped kosher pickle/lemon juice) or use Heinz 57. Add a little squeeze of fresh lemon to the salmon patty before serving!

Old 08-20-2012, 12:19 AM

15,129 posts, read 25,900,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
I guess the canned salmon is fully cooked already. What do you do with it after you opened the can? Is it a good idea to heat in the oven with seasoning?
(by the way are there preservatives in the can?)

Generally, what I will do is to drain the salmon out of the can, and make a salmon salad. I don't do recipes but I add is chopped celery, pickle relish and mayonnaise.

Another alternative is to take a can of cream of mushroom soup. Saute celery, onions and mushrooms in a skillet. Add in the can of mushroom soup and some cream or half & half. Add the salmon. Serve over noodles.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:48 AM

1,337 posts, read 1,319,581 times
I take offense to messing up a can of cream of mushroom with canned salmon!

I've found it does flavor the rice enough so the dogs will eat it. It costs to much tho.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:17 AM

16,758 posts, read 35,674,084 times
Croquettes made with lemon pepper, just like my granny used to make. Hundreds of recipes out there.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:56 AM

5,734 posts, read 10,612,811 times
Sure, Google "Canned Salmon" and "Recipes" and you'll come up with a bunch of ideas. Canned salmon is very versatile...and good for you. It's easy to create your own salmon salad using your favorite additions such as chopped celery, carrots, onions, green onion, apple, raisins, walnuts, relish, chopped fresh spinach, tomato.

If you're calorie/fat sensitive, I sometimes drain salmon and mix with just relish and honey mustard instead of mayonnaise..especially good with some curry powder. Yummy on whole grain bread with sliced tomato and your favorite lettuce.

See my recent posting under A new twist on Salmon Loaf for a recipe I recently tried that was very good. It has oatmeal and yogurt in it.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:21 AM

12,971 posts, read 25,197,832 times
You can also use it in recipes for canned tuna. Gives a different spin to a tuna casserole recipe.

Although you can't find it it normal supermarkets, if you can find canned smoked salmon it's even more different. When I lived in Seattle I used to be able to buy it at a smokehouse in Ballard.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:31 AM

35,212 posts, read 64,548,936 times
I just eat it right out of the can.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:08 PM

5,134 posts, read 6,261,613 times
Thanks for the ideas! Sounds like no need to reheat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
I've found it does flavor the rice enough so the dogs will eat it..
Oh dogs... they sure deserve it

Old 08-20-2012, 02:16 PM

16,496 posts, read 14,016,883 times
What about the nasty bones?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes