Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2012, 12:22 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times

Advertisements

I frequently purchase skinless, boneless chicken breast three to a package and use one for each of three meals. Chicken pot pie, chicken salad, and a pasta dish to be spread out over about 10 days. I like to cook them all at once and then make pot pie with one and chicken salad for another meal. Then I freeze the 3rd cooked breast for the pasta dish. I do this for less mess in the kitchen, time spent in the kitchen and general convenience.

A neighbor saw me the other day and said I would have a healthier chicken meal if I cooked one breast for this immediate meal and froze the other breasts and prepared each one as I needed it. The meat would be fresher and tastier. Besides the fact that my neighbor is nosy -it really didn't bother me as we trade cooking tips all the time- it got me wondering. Would the chicken be fresher if I froze it and then cooked it or does it matter if I cook first and freeze and then warm it for that night's meal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 12:27 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,020 times
To me either way is fine. I think that the texture of the frozen meat you make for your pasta dish might be a little different, but no less healthy. Do what works for you.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:37 PM

6,422 posts, read 7,667,441 times
Frozen meat seems dry to me so I would rather buy fresh and use it as you do. One exception is the organic flash frozen chicken breasts Costco carries which is fairly good. Since we can't flash freeze at home, and if you have to store it, why not buy it frozen and use as needed? The Costco organic chicken breasts are not cheap but since I don't use it much I don't mind the splurge for something that good. Also, for a quick thaw, just place it on a cookie sheet as it will draw the cold away from the product.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:58 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
Depends on why you cook that way. If you are trying to save money, energy, and time, you can't beat the way you do it right now.

Personally, I take it a step further. I would never make one pot pie, I would do 3 or 6 and freeze them. But I prefer cooking in bulk. I'm always looking for dishes that freeze well. Same thing with the pasta sauce. I would make enough for a few meals and freeze individual portions so all I had to do was cook a few noodles.

For all of the above reasons plus one big one. Temptation. If I know I have to go home and cook for an hour or more I might just stop for fast food. Now if I know dinner is pretty much done and all I have to do it stick it in the oven or microwave, I'm happy!

Old 08-25-2012, 01:59 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
Thanks all.

I think will continue the way I do it. I actually just cooked the veggies for my pot pie, then the sauce and then the 3 chicken breasts using only 1 pan and wiping it out with paper towels between each cooking. I now have a little mess to clean up where if I cooked each meal separately I would have 3 (at least) messes and would end up washing the pan three different times. It is not so much the money I'm concerned with but the time, energy and kitchen cleaning.

And yellow snow you are so right about temptation. I know I have the chicken and veggies already cooked and waiting for me in the fridge or freezer and my meal will be ready in no time. I won't be tempted to either bring home junk, go out to eat or fix something not as tasty or healthy.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:34 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Healthier? NAHH!!! The only problem would be the drying effects of freezing after cooking.

When I place cooked meat in freezer I wrap when still warm in foil then wrap in plastic wrap then put into freezer bags.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes