Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2012, 02:43 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,153,734 times

Advertisements

For DandJ:

4C cooked black beans
2 eggs
1/2 C bread crumbs
1 T olive oil
1 medium onion, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 t ground cumin
1/2 t salt
Fresh ground pepper

Place 3 cups of the beans in a bowl; puree the remaining cup of beans with the eggs in a food processor. Add to the whole beans. Add bread crumbs, and stir together.

Saute the vegetables in olive oil over medium heat until tender. Sprinkle the cumin over the vegetables and cook another minute. Add to the bean mixture, add salt and pepper, and mix well.

Form into patties (I use about 3/4 of a cup for a nice chunky burger). Spray a broiler pan with vegetable oil spray. Broil at 450 for 8 minutes, flip with a spatula and broil for 8 more minutes.

Makes 4 or 5 burgers.

I've added minced jalapeno peppers to this, or a teaspoon of chipotle powder or crushed red pepper flakes.

Last edited by Ohiogirl81; 08-26-2012 at 03:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 03:33 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
YAY!!!!! Thank you, thank you!!!! I love that they don't have a million different things in them. I'm definitely going to make these. Every recipe that you post has me going out to buy ingredients! HA! I've never bought cumin in my life (added to the list), nor do I have a food processor. Sigh... I'll get both of those things, though, and make these... for sure. They sound terrific.

Thanks again!!!

Dawn

Old 08-26-2012, 04:08 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,383,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
For DandJ:

4C cooked black beans
2 eggs
1/2 C bread crumbs
1 T olive oil
1 medium onion, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 t ground cumin
1/2 t salt
Fresh ground pepper

Place 3 cups of the beans in a bowl; puree the remaining cup of beans with the eggs in a food processor. Add to the whole beans. Add bread crumbs, and stir together.

Saute the vegetables in olive oil over medium heat until tender. Sprinkle the cumin over the vegetables and cook another minute. Add to the bean mixture, add salt and pepper, and mix well.

Form into patties (I use about 3/4 of a cup for a nice chunky burger). Spray a broiler pan with vegetable oil spray. Broil at 450 for 8 minutes, flip with a spatula and broil for 8 more minutes.

Makes 4 or 5 burgers.

I've added minced jalapeno peppers to this, or a teaspoon of chipotle powder or crushed red pepper flakes.
Yum....thank you.

I have only tried this recipe from AR and so far I have enjoyed it.

Black Bean Veggie Burger

1 (16 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 green bell pepper, cut into 2 inch pieces
1/2 onion, cut into wedges
3 cloves garlic, peeled
1 egg
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon Thai chili sauce or hot sauce
1/2 cup bread crumbs

If grilling, preheat an outdoor grill for high heat, and lightly oil a sheet of aluminum foil. If baking, preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C), and lightly oil a baking sheet.
In a medium bowl, mash black beans with a fork until thick and pasty.
In a food processor, finely chop bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Then stir into mashed beans.
In a small bowl, stir together egg, chili powder, cumin, and chili sauce.
Stir the egg mixture into the mashed beans. Mix in bread crumbs until the mixture is sticky and holds together. Divide mixture into four patties.
If grilling, place patties on foil, and grill about 8 minutes on each side. If baking, place patties on baking sheet, and bake about 10 minutes on each side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
YAY!!!!! Thank you, thank you!!!! I love that they don't have a million different things in them. I'm definitely going to make these. Every recipe that you post has me going out to buy ingredients! HA! I've never bought cumin in my life (added to the list), nor do I have a food processor. Sigh... I'll get both of those things, though, and make these... for sure. They sound terrific.

Thanks again!!!

Dawn
I have just started making black bean burgers and love them. I have also never used cumin before about 4 months ago, lol. PS....I use a potato masher for my beans as I don't have a food processor. Works for me

Old 08-26-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
I've never bought cumin in my life (added to the list), nor do I have a food processor. Sigh... I'll get both of those things, though
Cumin is a staple of my cupboard! LOL It's rather addicting, if you like spicy food.

You can use a blender instead of a food processor, or a potato masher. Mortar and pestle, the back of a big metal spoon ... the possibilities are endless.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Cumin is a staple of my cupboard! LOL It's rather addicting, if you like spicy food.

You can use a blender instead of a food processor, or a potato masher. Mortar and pestle, the back of a big metal spoon ... the possibilities are endless.
I love spicy food. I know that I've had food with cumin in it... I just never made anything with it before. I'm excited to try it.

Uh, I don't have a blender either. I'm so ill-equipped.

I do have a potato masher, though! AND... fingers! (In case all else fails. Ha!)

Old 08-26-2012, 09:46 PM
VOR

7 posts, read 9,413 times
Chile's actually makes a half-way decent Black Bean Burger. This recipe sounds delicious.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:39 AM

Quote:
AND... fingers! (In case all else fails. Ha!)
Our primitive ancestors most likely used two rocks! LOL

Old 08-27-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Our primitive ancestors most likely used two rocks! LOL
Noted! (Just in case.)

First, though: Get cumin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes