Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2012, 04:50 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,757,301 times

Advertisements

Several discussions yesterday across the forums, including this one, was on one of our favorite winter foods - Chili, so here's my last year's recipe!

As noted from several other Chili threads here, we all seem to have our own preference on what to include in this much enjoyed age-old concoction -
heck, even I have changed what I include most every year... but this one was so good that I actually wrote it down for a change - so please DO post your latest and greatest!

Hot & Spicy, Quick & Easy Chili
- Serves 6-8
(Not exactly TX Chili - how about just made in TX? Sort of a marriage between the best of TX/AL - also note it will be thick w/ingredients -- and may be more spicy than some prefer - so if spicy is not your thing, lower the amount of chili powder as well as substitute the regular chili seasoning for the hot one!)

Ingredients:
1-2 Tbs olive oil
1-1/2 to 2 lbs ground round (our preference)
1 onion - diced
1 green bell pepper - diced
1-2 Tbs of Chili Powder
Garlic Salt & Pepper
- go lightly here, you can add more later

Saute above ingredients until meat is well done (note that by using the ground round, you will not have any grease to drain off before adding the following ingredients.)

Add:
1 can tomato sauce - 16oz size
1 can diced tomatoes w/herbs - 16oz size
1 pkg of McCormick's Hot Chili Seasoning Mix
1 pkg of McCormick's Regular Chili Seasoning Mix (or two hot! )
2 cans of Dark Red Kidney Beans (1 can undrained, 1 can drained) - 16oz size (oops, not exactly TX style)
1-2 cups water or as needed
Add 1-2 Tbs (or more) chili powder, plus more garlic salt & pepper if needed according to your preference (a little at a time, taste, then add more if needed - note this is something I keep adjusting as needed while it simmers)

Cover & simmer on very low heat 'til you can't wait any longer - 30-60 minutes will suffice if in a hurry!

Serve with shredded cheese for topping and fritos, crackers, or corn muffins are great with it, too!

Oh, I forgot the Zantac's that may be required! I love it, but it just does not always love me back!

Can't wait 'til it's cool enough for making the first chili of the season... can't come soon enough!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 09-26-2012 at 04:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 06:47 AM

2,275 posts, read 6,289,773 times
Since moving from Texas ten years ago, I was on a quest to find a recipe for the perfect Texas Red chili, just as I remembered it. I finally found it - in a 2009 issue of Martha Stewart Living, of all places! I've made it several times since finding it, and it's exactly what I was looking for. I use canola instead of safflower oil, and don't add the vinegar.

It's great served with cheddar grated on top, and Fritos. I can't wait to make it again.

Texas Red Chili from Martha Stewart

Tip: You can get the butcher to cut the beef for you, which saves a lot of time and effort.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:33 PM

41,737 posts, read 74,703,059 times
Almost? It's always chili time!

Old 09-28-2012, 12:23 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,757,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Almost? It's always chili time!
LoL, I guess it's all in where you're located! Hard to think about eating heart-warming "heat" food when it's still in the 90's and you're looking for anything cool!

But, I DO like your way of thinking!

Old 09-29-2012, 12:34 AM

23,880 posts, read 32,163,414 times
I have a great recipe for vegetarian chilli. It's easy and healthy - and delicious. You won't miss the meat or the cholesterol.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:46 AM

35,095 posts, read 50,984,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BstYet2Be View Post
LoL, I guess it's all in where you're located! Hard to think about eating heart-warming "heat" food when it's still in the 90's and you're looking for anything cool!

But, I DO like your way of thinking!
I can sort of relate however, we have any sort of soup or chilli even in summer. I get out the slowe cooker and make the soup so the kitchen is not heated up and it makes for a nice light lunch and supper so you don't feel weighed down with a heavy meal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes