Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2012, 11:38 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,848,002 times

Advertisements

Cheese Broccoli Soup (clone of Black-Eyed Pea Restaurant's, my favorite)

Yield: 8 servings.

Ingredients:
* 1 1/2 lbs. Broccoli – fresh (Instead, I buy 2 pkgs of frozen steamed broccoli spears & microwave -- much, much simpler!)
* 2 C. Water
* 3/4 tsp. Salt
* 1/2 tsp. Pepper
* 1/2 C. Cornstarch mixed with 1-cup cold water
* 1 pint half-and-half
* 1 pound pasteurized processed cheese (Velveeta)

Directions:
* Steam broccoli until tender.
* Place half-and-half and water in top of double boiler.
* Add cheese, salt and pepper.
* Heat until cheese is melted.
* Mix cornstarch and water in small bowl.
* Stir into cheese mixture in double boiler and heat over simmering water until soup thickens.
* Add broccoli.

This is so, so good and rich... a simple green salad and corn bread or muffins and you have a wonderful meal.

Eat and enjoy!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 08:54 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,405,927 times
recipe looks good but are you sure of that 1/2 cup of cornstarch? That seems like an awful lot. I use cornstarch fairly often and have never used more than 2 Tablespoons dissolved in about 1/4 or l/2 cup of cold water to add to hot liquid.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:39 AM

Yes, positive on the cornstarch - I rechecked just to be sure! It is a thick yellow soup with broccoli spears - not at all like the other broccoli cheese soups around that are thin and white with little bits and pieces of broccoli - and so much better!

Enjoy!

Old 10-06-2012, 09:24 AM

4,152 posts, read 8,000,249 times
Panera has a good broccoli cheese soup too. I agree I do not like the white ones. I like the broccolli chopped up in little pieces though. I would be careful with the cornstarch. I would probably start with a few tablespoons....and instead of water I would substitute at least some chicken stock.

Old 10-06-2012, 05:19 PM

Of course, you're most welcome to modify as your taste dictates... but since what I was missing was the original soup from the TX Black-Eyed Pea Restaurant (not available in AL) and not just another soup recipe, this is the exact clone and I have made it many times as is and it is right on with the original!

The only thing I changed to make it easier after the first and second time of making it was to use the steamed bags of broccoli spears instead of fresh... me and the fresh broccoli did not jive at all - I either undercooked it or overcooked it... that, plus the work of cutting and cleaning it all just wasn't worth the effort. The steamed bags of the spears, on the other hand, come out perfectly cooked each and every time and we could not tell the difference at all between it and the fresh... ugh, except it was cooked exactly right for a change!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes