U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 08:30 AM

1,331 posts, read 1,461,503 times

Advertisements

I bought a couple dozen yard eggs and plan on pickling them. I do not have any pickling spice but have a lot of spices I should be able to put together a reasonable knock off. what are y'all suggestions? I am going to make the pink and spicy! Also I bought some German vinegar. It is so strong the bottle suggests 1 part per two cups of water, the bottle is 14 ounces.

Has anyone ever poked small holes in the eggs with a tooth pick to hasten the pickling process?

Come on CD'ers Please give me any and all zany and wild ideas! Lets get pickled ....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 12:06 PM

8,092 posts, read 13,869,118 times
Here's how I have made mine for years ...

Super Bowl Eggs
Put in a gallon glass jar:
2 dozen hard-boiled peeled eggs
1 or 2 cans of sliced (not pickled) beets with juice
1 jar yellow chilies with juice
1 white onion, thin-sliced
1 cup white vinegar
Top jar off with water, screw lid on, and put in the back of the fridge for 3 days.

These aren't pickled, but if you have hard-boiled eggs and you like spicy ...

Eggs from Hell
1 dozen hard-boiled peeled eggs
1/2 cup sour cream
3 tablespoons lime juice or white vinegar
1/4 cup chopped green onions
4 Jalapeno chilies, stemmed, seeded, and minced**
2 tablespoons cilantro
Jalapeno and radish slices for garnish
Cut eggs in half, separate yolks and whites. Set whites aside. Combine yolks, sour cream, and lime juice in big Baggie. Squish around. Add onions, chilies, and cilantro to Baggie. Squish around. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Squish around. Snip small corner of Baggie and fill white halves with yolk mixture. Garnish with Jalapeno and radish.
**For milder flavor, use 4 ounce can of (drained) chopped green Ortega chilies.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:59 PM

WOW !!!! Eggs from hell sound like a really good football party food! Thanks for those wonderful recipes. I hop`e more will contribute. I have heard of pickled curried eggs but never tried them. Anyone here had them? If so how did you make them?

Old 09-29-2012, 09:59 PM

1,468 posts, read 1,840,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shh1313 View Post
WOW !!!! Eggs from hell sound like a really good football party food! Thanks for those wonderful recipes. I hop`e more will contribute. I have heard of pickled curried eggs but never tried them. Anyone here had them? If so how did you make them?
Yes, I have not tried them either but I do have a recipe.

Or two.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:40 AM

5,088 posts, read 15,124,897 times
Ooooh, my mom used to make pickled eggs...and they were that dark pink color from the beets. I loved those. She had pickling spice in hers along with the vinegar and eggs. She must've used beet juice 'cause I never saw beets in that gallon jar. My dad would always take them on his deer hunt.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:45 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,302,857 times
Used to make them years ago, but always had a problem with them getting rubbery. Anyone know how to prevent that?

Old 10-01-2012, 03:55 PM

5,088 posts, read 15,124,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayiask View Post
Used to make them years ago, but always had a problem with them getting rubbery. Anyone know how to prevent that?
It's been yeeeeears since I've eaten one. I'm guessing overcooked or undercooked. Not sure which. I'd say experiment until you find the desired cooking time/prep method. Maybe it's just the way the boiled egg whites react to vinegar.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:23 PM

Well here is how I did it. I cut up a purple onion, 1 large jalapeno. I cracked some mixed colored peppercorns, chopped 6 cloves of garlic also I added 3 dried red chiles. Earlier I cooke 1 small beet I peeled it and sliced it. Also pickling spice, small amount of salt and sugar to taste.

I brought everything to a boil and poured mixture in a jar w/ the eggs, let cool and placed in the fridge. I will wait 10 days. The reason I bought the EXTRA STRONG vinegar was because it takes a shorter time to pickle.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:01 PM

8,092 posts, read 13,869,118 times
Quote:
Eat them faster!

Old 10-02-2012, 07:45 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,660,554 times
Quote:

The culinary experts in my classes always said that when hard boiled eggs are rubbery they are overcooked. Then they told us a way to cook eggs and I have used it ever since then (years and years and years). Start the eggs in tepid water but not warm. After it starts a hard boil, boil for 3 minutes and then take from stove. Cover with a tight lid and let sit for 15 minutes, then drain and cool with cold water. My eggs are never grey or discolored on the inside and are always done and not rubbery. Perhaps try this to see if it helps.

Even though I haven't made pickled eggs for a long time, this is my recipe for the kind without using pickled beet juice (kind of like they used to have sitting on bars in taverns):

4 cups white vinegar
2 Tablespoons pickling spice
2 teaspoons salt
2 dozen hard boiled eggs
1/2 cup sugar
2 bay leaves
2 cloves garlic - peeled (optional)

Combine vinegar, sugar, salt, pickling spice, bay leaves, garlic cloves. Simmer for 5 minutes. Shell the eggs and put in quart jars. Pour liquid over shelled eggs in jars and refrigerate for several days before using. Can be kept for several weeks. Drain before serving. Makes 24 eggs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes