U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2012, 12:03 AM

1,355 posts, read 2,361,445 times

Advertisements

I hope no one minds if I post a vegan recipe here. This one is so good that my sister-in-law, who is most definitely not vegetarian, requested the recipe and makes it often. It has no tofu or disgusting fake cheese in it, either. I usually make an extra half batch of sauce so that it's super creamy after baking.

VegNews Vegan Macaroni & Cheese
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 04:36 PM

20,283 posts, read 26,164,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
Anymore tried and true recipes out there? I am looking for creamy, luscious, and not at all dry mac and cheese.
My SIL's mac and cheese for my nieces sweet 16 was so creamy I have to get her recipe. Mine does not even get as creamy as hers. I'll call her and get the recipe.Her bread crumb topping is good too.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:42 PM

I also read online that some people use evaporated milk instead of regular milk.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:48 PM

16,233 posts, read 25,826,319 times
I've used the crock pot recipe before, and I can say we didn't need to throw out any of it. But for a recipe you make for a party, this is what I use.

1 lb. box of elbows or small shells
1 stick of butter (do not replace with anything, just real butter, preferably sweet)
1/2 C. Wondra flour (regular flour will clump in this method, just get a can of Wondra)
4 C. Milk
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
1-1/2 lb shredded cheese*
For crumb topping
1/2 stick melted butter
3/4 C. Panko crumbs

Cook and drain the pasta. In the same pan as pasta cooked, add stick of butter, Wondra, milk, salt and pepper. Cook on medium low until sauce is bubbling for a solid two minutes to ensure the flour is fully cooked. Remove from heat and begin stirring in your cheese in batches. If you dump it all in at once there's a good chance it will "break" your creamy sauce. Stir in pasta in batches as well, making sure there is enough sauce to keep it creamy. I find sometimes I have two cups of cooked pasta left over, other times none. It just depends. Pour into a buttered casserole dish. Stir the Panko crumbs into the melted butter and sprinkle over the top. Here is where you might want to add some shredded cheese if desired, but underneath the crumbs. Bake for about 20 minutes or until crumbs are golden.

I was asked to bring this to my SIL's parties so often that I just make it without asking anymore. The dish is customarily wiped clean within the first 30 minutes of the parties.

*a note about the type of cheese - you can use just about any depending on your taste, or combinations of different cheeses. Velveeta is a chemical laced glue and not recommended for creamy macaroni and cheese. Also, sharp white cheddar is the best cheese to use for avoiding your sauce curdling or breaking. Colored cheddar cheese contains a chemical that causes the sauce to coagulate. If you want the yellow color, use half white and half "orange" cheddar. Everyone has a preference so there are no rules as to which cheese(s) are best, experiment and find out what works best for your family.

I apologize if I have offended any Velveeta lovers, I know you are many, but the reason it's so melty and good is because it is loaded with industrial grade salts and chems. Melt it over veggies, but keep it out of a good homemade mac and cheese.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:56 PM

31,381 posts, read 35,675,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I apologize if I have offended any Velveeta lovers, I know you are many, but the reason it's so melty and good is because it is loaded with industrial grade salts and chems. Melt it over veggies, but keep it out of a good homemade mac and cheese.

Anyone have thoughts on replacing elbows with zitti? I swear that the macaroni used by my favorite Soul Food™ restaurants seem a whole lot bigger than elbows.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:52 PM

Called my SIL and she used medium pasta shells. To make it creamy she adds the cheese directly into the hot pasta, adds milk and butter and mixes until creamy. top it with buttered bread crumbs and bakes, until cheese is bubbly and topping is browned. She told me it's how you do it not what you put in it. She uses cheese ends that she buys from the deli but any cheese will work.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:57 PM

16,233 posts, read 25,826,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

Anyone have thoughts on replacing elbows with zitti? I swear that the macaroni used by my favorite Soul Food™ restaurants seem a whole lot bigger than elbows.
I'm sure it would be just fine with ziti. I've made it with mostacchioli and it was as good as macaroni or shells.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:34 AM

31,381 posts, read 35,675,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I'm sure it would be just fine with ziti. I've made it with mostacchioli and it was as good as macaroni or shells.
Yes indeed dee, made a batch last know with left-over riti #1 and #2. Worked out great... except the cheese I used leached out too much fat. Got to look in to that.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:45 PM

23,079 posts, read 29,874,579 times
E-Z but not Cheezy - in a bad way

2 boxes of macaroni - everyone uses elbow but we like the short curly ones better
1 1/2 jars of Ragu cheese sauce (OK you are on to me)
3/4 cup of sour cream
1 T mustard - good quality - I like Kozkiosko
1 T Worcestershire sauce

Pre heat oven to 350. Bake covered
While noodles are cooking prepare sauce. Taste it. Add a little more of something or less.
After 45 minutes remove foil. Top with bread crumbs - I like whole wheat- and dot with butter.
Let it bake until browned.

This is good and no one will know that it's not "from scratch."

Old 08-21-2012, 02:03 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,046,672 times
I use the one from Martha Stewart. Makes a huge portion. The worst I've heard is that it's mediocre and bland, and that was one lady who probably was too picky or forgot something.

This is meant for as many as ten people, although if you wanted a smaller portion just adjust the ingredient sizes.

8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for dish
6 slices good white bread, crusts removed, torn into 1/4- to 1/2-inch pieces
5 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
4 1/2 cups grated sharp white cheddar cheese (about 18 ounces)
2 cups grated Gruyere cheese (about 8 ounces) or 1 1/4 cups grated Pecorino Romano cheese (about 5 ounces)
1 pound elbow macaroni

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 3-quart casserole dish; set aside. Place bread in a medium bowl. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Pour butter into bowl with bread, and toss. Set breadcrumbs aside.

In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, heat milk. Melt remaining 6 tablespoons butter in a high-sided skillet over medium heat. When butter bubbles, add flour. Cook, whisking, 1 minute.

While whisking, slowly pour in hot milk. Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until the mixture bubbles and becomes thick.

Remove pan from heat. Stir in salt, nutmeg, black pepper, cayenne pepper, 3 cups cheddar cheese, and 1 1/2 cups Gruyere or 1 cup Pecorino Romano; set cheese sauce aside.

Fill a large saucepan with water; bring to a boil. Add macaroni; cook 2 to 3 minutes less than manufacturer's directions, until the outside of pasta is cooked and the inside is underdone. (Different brands of macaroni cook at different rates; be sure to read the instructions.) Transfer macaroni to a colander, rinse under cold running water, and drain well. Stir macaroni into the reserved cheese sauce

Pour mixture into prepared dish. Sprinkle remaining 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup Gruyere or 1/4 cup Pecorino Romano, and breadcrumbs over top. Bake until browned on top, about 30 minutes. Transfer dish to a wire rack to cool 5 minutes; serve hot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes