Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2012, 07:31 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,534,028 times

Advertisements

I hate to admit it, but ours was just plain old Kraft and usually served with fish sticks. That was just a casual kids meal. I don't remember ever having mac and cheese at a family dinner. I really don't like the boxed now, it does nothing for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 08:15 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,787,854 times
If I had a good recipe for it, I'd sure share it with you, but I don't.

Mother had a white sauce she made and used for different things and I believe this might be what she used as the base to add the cheese to, for the cheese sauce. Once all the cheese was melted and it was smooth, she added the cooked macaroni and heated it until it was all hot and then poured in a big bowl and served. Sounds pretty similar to what you remember your Mom doing.

I can't even remember the last time I had mac & cheese, but every so often I get hungry for it and go looking at recipes. LOL By the time I finally find a recipe that sounds like it would be something I'd like, it's already too late to be messing with it, so I think . . . maybe next time.

She always took the skin off the chicken too. Anytime we went to family functions where everyone brought stuff to eat and Mother decided to take fried chicken, I made sure I knew where hers was sitting and that's the one I got. None of that nasty skin for me, yuck!

Old 12-08-2012, 07:32 AM

26 posts, read 117,509 times
After reading all these posts, I am really hungry now! I love mac/cheese but I don't have recipe. I usually make the mac/velveeta out of the box but I have made it with cheese left over from other recipes.
I also skin my chicken before I cook it any kind of way.
When I was very young (in my twenties) & very poor, I made creamed macaroni. I always had milk (for my baby girl) so I cooked the macaroni, milk, butter & a pinch of salt & pepper down until it was creamy. It was good too.
It's only 8:30 in the morning & all this talk of mac/cheese, fried chicken & such has put me in the mood to go start on lunch!!

Old 12-08-2012, 10:29 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,181,964 times
Gotta be in the oven, nearly burned on top, so it's hard and crispy around the edges. Paprika sprinkled on top.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:38 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,910,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
If I had a good recipe for it, I'd sure share it with you, but I don't.

Mother had a white sauce she made and used for different things and I believe this might be what she used as the base to add the cheese to, for the cheese sauce. Once all the cheese was melted and it was smooth, she added the cooked macaroni and heated it until it was all hot and then poured in a big bowl and served. Sounds pretty similar to what you remember your Mom doing.

I can't even remember the last time I had mac & cheese, but every so often I get hungry for it and go looking at recipes. LOL By the time I finally find a recipe that sounds like it would be something I'd like, it's already too late to be messing with it, so I think . . . maybe next time.

She always took the skin off the chicken too. Anytime we went to family functions where everyone brought stuff to eat and Mother decided to take fried chicken, I made sure I knew where hers was sitting and that's the one I got. None of that nasty skin for me, yuck!
Amazing how much our moms cooked alike. The basic white sauce with cheese was it, and also skinned fried chicken. That way, you got nothing but crunchy crust, and none of the rancid-tasting skin.

You can also vary the cheese you use--Mother often used American (which I haven't seen in stores for a long time) and sometimes grated longhorn/cheddar.

Every recipe I found online was a baked version except for one where the macaroni was cooked in milk. It was so time-consuming that I didn't even bother to make it! It touted itself as being a one-pot dish, but who wants to stand over the stove all that time constantly stirring?!

Old 12-08-2012, 12:03 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,375,068 times
Cathy, where on Earth have you had chicken with rancid tasting skin? Do you remove the skin when you bake or grill chicken, as well?

Old 12-08-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Cathy, where on Earth have you had chicken with rancid tasting skin? Do you remove the skin when you bake or grill chicken, as well?
OMG. I always remove the skin before cooking except when boiling, to get good chicken broth. But I still remove the skin before using boiled/poached chicken.

I've had chicken with skin at others' homes...and out at places like Church's, KFC, etc. Always tastes rancid to me, as well as gristly. It's a texture thing as well as taste.

My mom's fried chicken, OTOH, was heavenly, with a crisp, crunchy, perfectly fried (light golden brown) crust. My mouth waters just thinking about her chicken, meatloaf and macaroni and cheese, just to name a few.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:36 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,541,983 times
Ok friends, this is it. I make it only once a year, usually at Christmas.....we call it crack and Cheese, or Macaroni smack. Lots of grating but OMG. I recommed the grater on the food processor if you have it. I cant handle the watery box stuff, my mom was anti-processed foods when we grew up, I still am. But I can handle the little bit of velvetta in this, it helps it gel.

Delilah's 7 Cheese Mac and Cheese Recipe : : Recipes : Food Network

Ps. it halves nicely, and that's more than enough for 8 people.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:37 AM

3,270 posts, read 5,652,687 times
I like gravy on my mac-n-cheese.

I rarely find any bad forms of mac-n-cheese.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Ok friends, this is it. I make it only once a year, usually at Christmas.....we call it crack and Cheese, or Macaroni smack. Lots of grating but OMG. I recommed the grater on the food processor if you have it. I cant handle the watery box stuff, my mom was anti-processed foods when we grew up, I still am. But I can handle the little bit of velvetta in this, it helps it gel.

Delilah's 7 Cheese Mac and Cheese Recipe : : Recipes : Food Network

Ps. it halves nicely, and that's more than enough for 8 people.
I've never had mac 'n cheese as a baked casserole, but this looks decadent....MMMMMMM!

I know what you mean about anti-processed foods/mixes! I have to laugh every time I see the Kraft commercials! Even though I am not one for box mixes and such, I have to confess a weakness for Velveeta....LOL!!

Yep, it's crappy processed junk, but it's so good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes