Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2012, 08:30 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,181,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I have to confess a weakness for Velveeta....LOL!!

Yep, it's crappy processed junk, but it's so good!
I don't know what I'd do without the pasteurized processed brands because I'm addicted to "chile con queso?" I make my own using several varieties of chiles and salsa but the real secret to my "patented" flavor is the frozen Bueno Autumn Roast that I buy by the pint. The entire pint goes into a single batch of queso.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 08:32 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,900,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
I don't know what I'd do without the pasteurized processed brands because I'm addicted to "chile con queso?" I make my own using several varieties of chiles and salsa but the real secret to my "patented" flavor is the frozen Bueno Autumn Roast that I buy by the pint. The entire pint goes into a single batch of queso.

Yep, that's good stuff, LOL!! I do that all the time, too, and usually use my own homemade salsa.

I can't belive I've gotten so lazy that I won't roast huge batches of chile to put away anymore. It's too easy to go get the Bueno foods stuff.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:33 AM
etx

49 posts, read 106,052 times
Mac & Cheese is a family favorite around here! When I found out I was allergic to dairy I was crushed and spent many hours trying "vegan" mac & cheese recipes until I found a yummy one.

Here is the sauce recipe if anyone else has to avoid cheese

2 cups cashews
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
1 cup water (more as needed)
black pepper to taste

Blend in a food processor/blender until smooth & creamy

Old 12-10-2012, 12:26 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,365,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
I like gravy on my mac-n-cheese.
That sounds damn good right about now.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:59 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,767,420 times
Paula Deen has a great recipe for stovetop mac and cheese. It is listed in her comfort foods cookbook but I am sure you can find it online.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:13 PM

32,982 posts, read 36,491,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Ok friends, this is it. I make it only once a year, usually at Christmas.....we call it crack and Cheese, or Macaroni smack. Lots of grating but OMG. I recommed the grater on the food processor if you have it. I cant handle the watery box stuff, my mom was anti-processed foods when we grew up, I still am. But I can handle the little bit of velvetta in this, it helps it gel.

Delilah's 7 Cheese Mac and Cheese Recipe : : Recipes : Food Network

Ps. it halves nicely, and that's more than enough for 8 people.
Funny, I once went to Reading Terminal just to eat her mac.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:20 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,478,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Ok friends, this is it. I make it only once a year, usually at Christmas.....we call it crack and Cheese, or Macaroni smack. Lots of grating but OMG. I recommed the grater on the food processor if you have it. I cant handle the watery box stuff, my mom was anti-processed foods when we grew up, I still am. But I can handle the little bit of velvetta in this, it helps it gel.

Delilah's 7 Cheese Mac and Cheese Recipe : : Recipes : Food Network

Ps. it halves nicely, and that's more than enough for 8 people.
Once I finished reading the ingredients (a dozen eggs, pound of butter, 6 cups of half and half, and I haven't even mentioned the cheeses) my arteries flapped shut and begged for mercy.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:44 PM

50,423 posts, read 64,185,923 times
Default Do you have a great Mac & Cheese Recipe?

I have several recipes that I use, from Good Housekeeping and Better Homes cookbooks and others, so they're all tried and true, except to me they're flavorless and not creamy enough.
Yesterday I made the recipe from Good Housekeeping, and it uses 2 cups of grated cheese. I used sharp cheddar, but I feel like it was bland and tasteless. My next plan is to double the sauce for the same amount of macaroni (8 oz)to see if that helps.

So, does anyone have a great scratch mac and cheese recipe? What kind of cheese do you use?

Old 02-07-2014, 12:54 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,541,296 times
Are you making a stovetop mac & cheese or a baked mac & cheese?

Do you want traditional "Southern" style (no roux/bechemel/mornay sauce) or the more contemporary bechemel type?

Old 02-07-2014, 01:08 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,191,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have several recipes that I use, from Good Housekeeping and Better Homes cookbooks and others, so they're all tried and true, except to me they're flavorless and not creamy enough.
Yesterday I made the recipe from Good Housekeeping, and it uses 2 cups of grated cheese. I used sharp cheddar, but I feel like it was bland and tasteless. My next plan is to double the sauce for the same amount of macaroni (8 oz)to see if that helps.

So, does anyone have a great scratch mac and cheese recipe? What kind of cheese do you use?
Try adding dry mustard and pepper it. I use sharp cheddar.

I don't know what you mean by not creamy enough. I don't like mine creamy. That reminds of the fake boxed stuff. I like mine baked and cheesy with a dry crispy top. I don't overdo the cream cause and I shove chunks of cheese through it and shred some cheese with bread crumbs and additional seasoning on top for a crisp flavorful top.

If you want creamy, add more milk and less flour when you're melting your cheese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes