U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2016, 07:06 PM

13,395 posts, read 12,119,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
Do you think one could add cubes of ham to this, and it would be okay???
Yes. People add all types of things to their mac and cheese
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 12:21 PM

11,937 posts, read 11,818,395 times
Default Macaroni & Cheese?

So I've spent years trying to perfect macaroni and cheese.

Basically all I've come up with is that Velveeta is the secret ingredient.

I've used $25 a pound cheese and it really doesn't make it better.

Anyone else have any useful M&C hacks?

Old 11-28-2017, 12:23 PM

4,695 posts, read 3,082,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
So I've spent years trying to perfect macaroni and cheese.

Basically all I've come up with is that Velveeta is the secret ingredient.

I've used $25 a pound cheese and it really doesn't make it better.

Anyone else have any useful M&C hacks?
I have a fantastic Mac & Cheese recipe that I will post when I have more time. It has sour cream, cottage cheese and cheese. It's so smooth and creamy.

Old 11-28-2017, 12:30 PM

1,833 posts, read 1,983,736 times
Velveeta works because it does not separate when heated and has the magical property of keeping other cheeses used with it from separating. Go ahead an use it without guilt. It is the perfect mac & cheese ingredient. Experiment with the addition of other types of cheese to vary the flavor and texture, but always use the Velveeta to give the sauce the right mac & cheese quality. I usually add sharp cheddar and parmesan to the Velveeta to boost the flavor profile. I have tried fresh mozzarella, but it was not an unqualified success as it tended to make the sauce seize up into a big stringy clump. I also like a little Kerrygold Dubliner cheese added to the mix instead of the parmesan and sharp cheddar.

Old 11-28-2017, 12:46 PM

751 posts, read 738,340 times
Velveeta is disgusting I make my Mac and cheese as a bechamel sauce and you can melt in your favorite cheeses.

Old 11-28-2017, 12:57 PM

4,695 posts, read 3,082,728 times
Found my recipe quicker than I thought I would.

Homemade Macaroni & Cheese

2 1/2 Cups of uncooked elbow macaroni
6 Tablespoons of butter
1/4 Cup of flour
1 Teaspoon of salt
1 Teaspoon of sugar
2 Cups of milk
8oz Velveeta
1 1/3 Cups of small curd cottage cheese
2/3 Cup of sour cream
2 Cups of sharp shredded cheddar cheese
1 Cup of fine bread crumbs

Cook macaroni and place in greased 2 1/2 quart or 3 quart dish. In pan (needs to be a fairy large pan) melt 4 tablespoons of the butter. Stir in flour, salt and sugar stir until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil stirring constantly until mixture thickens and is smooth. Reduce heat stir in Velveeta, stir until it is melted. Then stir in the cheddar cheese until melted and stir in the cottage cheese and sour cream. Set this mixture aside. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and toss with the bread crumbs. Mix the melted cheese mixture into your cooked macaroni, mix well and top with the butter and bread crumbs. Bake at 350° for approximately 30 to 40 minutes. Serve immediately.

This is a good recipe for a larger gathering. This is a recipe that I don't like having leftovers of because it does not reheat well. I've also baked mine in a 9 x 13 pan.

Old 11-28-2017, 02:26 PM

908 posts, read 454,541 times
I'm not a fan of bechamel cheese sauce. I follow Heston on this topic.

I've made this many times, never the same way twice, and people really like it. Even my kids who like that powder box crap.

Here's a great vid to help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jjvJS6c3co

Old 11-28-2017, 02:57 PM

11,937 posts, read 11,818,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble and Kind View Post
I'm not a fan of bechamel cheese sauce.
Not a fan of bechamel either.

Thanks for the tips everyone!!

Old 11-28-2017, 03:13 PM

21,870 posts, read 14,405,579 times
I make a very basic bechamel (no nutmeg or onion). The recipe I use is very similar to this one but with sharp cheddar and colby jack cheese. Creamy Macaroni And Cheese Recipe - Genius Kitchen

Old 11-28-2017, 04:05 PM

496 posts, read 368,017 times
Béchamel sauce with onion, a shot of yellow mustard and extra sharp white cheddar. My Mom always made it that way and that is still my fav, although I will eat just about any pasta/cheese combo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes