U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 06:30 PM

3,457 posts, read 4,573,301 times

Advertisements

The secret ingredient is mustard. Dry English mustard. It not only heightens the cheese flavor, but also acts as an emulsifier and prevents curdling (separation of the fat and protein).

Oh and Velveeta is disgusting.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 06:56 PM

1,626 posts, read 2,442,567 times
I make Southern style baked macaroni and cheese.

I buy a box or two of elbow pasta, which I cook to my desired consistency. In a larger bowl, I combine at least one can of evaporated milk with three to four eggs per can. So, for example, two standard cans of evaporated milk would be mixed together with six to eight eggs. I add a minimal amount of salt, but about a tablespoon of black pepper to the milk/egg combination and beat that mixture together. I take extra or super sharp cheddar cheese and cut it into cubes, along with Colby jack cheese. I take a casserole dish and layer the bottom with the cooked elbows. I then take some of the cheese, along with some slices of butter, and cover that layer. I then add more of the cooked elbows on top of that layer and repeat with the butter and cheese combo, making sure that the elbows are completely covered with cheese and butter. I then take the milk, egg, salt and pepper mixture and pour it into the casserole dish, making sure that all of the macaroni elbows are completely submerged into the mixture. The top layer of cheese and butter does not have to be covered. I place the casserole dish in the oven at 350 degrees for around 35 minutes. Pull it out of the oven and you’re done.

Nothing about this recipe is remotely healthy, but I have always gotten rave reviews. I’m sure you could add bacon or try other cheeses if you want to change things around. It is important however to use extra sharp or super sharp cheddar, as that gives the dish its rich flavor without having to use mustard or any other extra items.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:54 PM

3,457 posts, read 4,573,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
I make Southern style baked macaroni and cheese.

I buy a box or two of elbow pasta, which I cook to my desired consistency. In a larger bowl, I combine at least one can of evaporated milk with three to four eggs per can. So, for example, two standard cans of evaporated milk would be mixed together with six to eight eggs. I add a minimal amount of salt, but about a tablespoon of black pepper to the milk/egg combination and beat that mixture together. I take extra or super sharp cheddar cheese and cut it into cubes, along with Colby jack cheese. I take a casserole dish and layer the bottom with the cooked elbows. I then take some of the cheese, along with some slices of butter, and cover that layer. I then add more of the cooked elbows on top of that layer and repeat with the butter and cheese combo, making sure that the elbows are completely covered with cheese and butter. I then take the milk, egg, salt and pepper mixture and pour it into the casserole dish, making sure that all of the macaroni elbows are completely submerged into the mixture. The top layer of cheese and butter does not have to be covered. I place the casserole dish in the oven at 350 degrees for around 35 minutes. Pull it out of the oven and you’re done.

Nothing about this recipe is remotely healthy, but I have always gotten rave reviews. I’m sure you could add bacon or try other cheeses if you want to change things around. It is important however to use extra sharp or super sharp cheddar, as that gives the dish its rich flavor without having to use mustard or any other extra items.
That sounds like a lot of eggs. Does the dish taste eggy?

Old 11-28-2017, 08:10 PM

12,442 posts, read 13,617,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
...Oh and Velveeta is disgusting.
Nah, it's a culinary crescent wrench; sometimes it's EXACTLY what you're looking for.

Old 11-28-2017, 11:39 PM

3,125 posts, read 2,720,062 times
I made this baked macaroni and cheese dish for Thanksgiving, and it was PERFECT. And I do mean perfect! It's a very, very rich and very, very unhealthy recipe. Plus, it's a little costly to make...it does have 2lbs of cheese and 2lbs of Velveeta (sorry, y'all!). But it's very good for special occasions.

Deep South Dish: Southern Style Big Batch Super Creamy Special Occasion Macaroni and Cheese

Old 11-28-2017, 11:44 PM

3,125 posts, read 2,720,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Nah, it's a culinary crescent wrench; sometimes it's EXACTLY what you're looking for.
I agree.

I'm all for using the best and freshest ingredients in things. I love making things from scratch.

There are basically two situations in which I rely on the old and faithful processed items that so many people hate nowadays:

-Cream of mushroom soup for the green bean casserole on Thanksgiving. I can take it or leave it...I'll have some, but it's not my favorite dish on Thanksgiving. My mother-in-law loves it, though. I made a fancier version without cream of mushroom one year, and she told me she liked it but not as much as how I usually make it.

-Velveeta for macaroni and cheese. It's a must for me. I've made and eaten lots of mac and cheese dishes, and my favorites still always include Velveeta.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
...I'm all for using the best and freshest ingredients in things. I love making things from scratch.

There are basically two situations in which I rely on the old and faithful processed items that so many people hate nowadays:

-Cream of mushroom soup for the green bean casserole on Thanksgiving. I can take it or leave it...I'll have some, but it's not my favorite dish on Thanksgiving. My mother-in-law loves it, though. I made a fancier version without cream of mushroom one year, and she told me she liked it but not as much as how I usually make it.

-Velveeta for macaroni and cheese. It's a must for me. I've made and eaten lots of mac and cheese dishes, and my favorites still always include Velveeta.
Excellent post!!!!!

Old 11-29-2017, 01:17 AM

2,320 posts, read 1,667,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
So I've spent years trying to perfect macaroni and cheese.

Basically all I've come up with is that Velveeta is the secret ingredient.

I've used $25 a pound cheese and it really doesn't make it better.

Anyone else have any useful M&C hacks?
Annies organic shells (the white cheese ones)- two boxes shells to one powdered cheese and a cup of PESTO and some good cheese melted in (my current fave is the Trader Joe's sharp cheddar and gruyere block it is delicious ).

And of course follow package instruction on milk (whole) and the butter (the max amount, organic of course)- yup this will make a delicious mac and cheese.

I like to add broccoli too it complements the pesto.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:19 AM

2,320 posts, read 1,667,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
I agree.

I'm all for using the best and freshest ingredients in things. I love making things from scratch.

try organic butter (lots), whole milk , and some good cheese like gruyere, and pesto(the Kirkland costco brand is awesome).

you will never go back to Velveeta sorry....

Old 11-29-2017, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
...and pesto(the Kirkland costco brand is awesome)...
I despise pesto, so that certainly wouldn't work for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes