U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 09:44 AM

21,956 posts, read 23,385,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
This is the one we make, came from my mil.

Cook the elbow macaroni and then in a casserole dish layer:
macaroni noodles
lil bit of evaporated milk (PET milk)
salt & pepper
mild cheddar finely shredded
until the last layer is the cheese and then bake in the oven on 350 until the cheese is completely melted. I like the edges to be a lil bit "done".

VERY EASY! And good.
I'm a horrible cook using the "a little of this and a little of that"..very cooking challenged here. Would you mind sharing some amounts with us on this recipe? Like how much evaporated milk and noodles and cheese? The temperature you cook it at? Yep, I need the whole works! It sounds great and would love to give it a try!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 09:56 AM

1,969 posts, read 5,767,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I'm a horrible cook using the "a little of this and a little of that"..very cooking challenged here. Would you mind sharing some amounts with us on this recipe? Like how much evaporated milk and noodles and cheese? The temperature you cook it at? Yep, I need the whole works! It sounds great and would love to give it a try!

Oh cyn - you read my mind.....
AGAIN!

Old 02-27-2008, 11:05 AM

14,862 posts, read 40,953,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
LOL!!! And I'm one of those that never measures anything.

Gosh, for the macaroni how much......... depends on how big of a dish I'm making. The LARGE bag of elbow macaroni will EASILY make TWO good sized casserole dishes. Unless your feeding an army you won't need that much. So if you want to get the large bag only use 1/2 or a lil less. Sorry for the "lil"

As for the PET milk (evaporated milk) I get the regular size can and it does not need that much. I put a layer about 1" of cooked macaroni in the bottom and sprinkle w/ salt & pepper, pour just enough milk till you see it in the bottom covering the dish then add the cheese to completely cover the macaroni in a thin layer. Repeat.

Does that help

I haven't tried to make my mothers cornbread dressing but she is the same way, a lil this a lil that to taste.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:12 AM

21,956 posts, read 23,385,255 times
You are to cute----I'll sure give this a try. It amazes me how people just throw in whatever and however much seems right and their dishes turn out wonderful. I have tried that and have never been happy with my results. Cooking is just a challenge for me. No matter how hard I try it doesn't come naturally. It's like an artist--if you can't draw you can't draw except maybe a paint-by-number!! I envy those who have this talent with cooking.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:27 PM

1,969 posts, read 5,767,605 times
Cyn - you crack me up! You know I struggle with it just like you! lol

Old 06-06-2008, 12:06 PM

1,153 posts, read 3,462,453 times
Default Looking For Easy And Great Macaroni And Cheese Recipe......

If you have a recipe please share it with me.........i'm looking for a good macaroni and cheese recipe for a graduation party......thanks

Old 06-06-2008, 12:38 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,148,534 times
Here's mine and it's easy and creamy.

1 lb box elbow noodles (cooked)
4 c milk
8T Wondra flour
8T butter
salt/white pepper
1/2 tsp dry mustard
couple dashes Tabasco
dash worstershire
Velveeta cheese-about 1/2 pkg cubed

Mix milk, flour, salt/pepper, mustard. tabasco, worstershire. Melt butter in saucepan, add milk mixture and whisk on med heat. When blended add velveeta. Stirring often.
Pour over macaoni, mix well, top with buttered breadcrumbs and bake about 25 min.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:34 AM

9,480 posts, read 11,725,364 times
I follow the back of the elbow noodle box, and I use white sharp cheddar cheese.

Lacey, I love worchestershire, maybe I'll try that next time.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:02 AM

3,455 posts, read 6,835,497 times
My two favorites:

• 5 cups cooked macaroni (8 ounces raw)
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 pepper, or to taste
  • 2 cups milk
  • 3/4 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
  • paprika, optional

Preparation:

In a saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Stir flour into the butter until smooth and bubbly. Stir in salt. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly. continue to cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Add cheese and continue to cook and stir until melted. In an 8x10-inch baking dish, alternate layers of macaroni and cheese sauce. Sprinkle with paprika, if desired. Bake in a preheated 350° oven for 20 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.

• 7 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 4 cups milk
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
  • 1/8 teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
  • 1 pound elbow macaroni
  • 3 cups coarsely grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese (about 12 ounces)
  • 1 1/3 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese (about 4 ounces)
  • 1 cup fresh bread crumbs

Preheat oven to 350°F. and butter a 3 to 4-quart shallow baking dish. In a heavy saucepan melt 6 tablespoons butter over moderately low heat. Add flour and cook roux, whisking, 3 minutes. Add milk in a stream, whisking, and bring to a boil, whisking. Add mustard, cayenne, and salt and pepper to taste and simmer sauce, whisking occasionally, until thickened, about 2 minutes.
In a kettle of salted boiling water cook macaroni until just al dente, about 7 minutes, and drain well. In a large bowl stir together macaroni, sauce, Cheddar, and 1 cup Parmesan and transfer to prepared dish.
In a small bowl stir together bread crumbs and remaining 1/3 cup Parmesan and sprinkle evenly over macaroni. Cut remaining 1 tablespoon butter into bits and scatter over topping.
Bake macaroni in middle of oven 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden and bubbling.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:21 PM

1,928 posts, read 7,089,176 times
Default Macaroni & Cheeses Please (Homemade) Maybe this is the year I'll get it right!

Every year my dh and I, well actually for the past several years just my dh, attempt to make mac and cheese for Thanksgiving. It NEVER turns out the same from year to year. It tastes good, but not Paula Deen or Sylvia's restaurant good. I feel as though we are missing some magic ingredient.

We have tried it made a bunch of different ways: with a variety of cheeses - sharp and mild cheddars, adding Velveeta, making a sauce of the cheese v. layering the shredded cheese in, using sour cream, butter, half/half instead of milk, and on and on with the switch ups. Just looking for basic homestyle mac & cheese, not gourmet with fancy goat cheese or anything. What is that secret something that causes the rich creamy, yet cheesy texture???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes