U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 01:51 AM

424 posts, read 1,608,210 times

Advertisements

I vary mine a bit, but always finish it in the oven. I make a roux, using butter and or bacon grease, frying a bit of finely chopped onion it it...not much, just a few tablespoons. If I want it, I sometimes put a few tablespoons of crumbled bacon in there, too, but again, just to give it some flavor. The roux itself is the basis for the cheese sauce...usually just milk based, with maybe some cream, half and half, or evaporated milk if available. I like sharp cheeses in it, usually some white sharp or extra sharp Cheddar...with maybe some mozzarella added to it to make it just a bit gooey or stringy. I often use those leftover chunks of multiple cheese on hand to get rid of them, so Gruyere, Ementhal, and others might end up in my dish, but usually Cheddar is the main or only cheese in the sauce. I like to add dry mustard, black pepper, and cayenne to the cheese sauce to give it a little kick. I stir in the cooked macaroni (or other pasta, and get it all blended and smooth, then transfer thix mixture to a greased baking dish...it should be quite loose and moist because you want the baked finished product to be moist and not dry. I top the dish with additional shredded cheese, and maybe some Parmesan. If I am in the mood I will top it ruther with a thing layer of crumbled buttery crackers, breadcrumbs, or potato chips. A little melted butter applied to the crumb topping is not bad either. I bake it until it is bubbly and done...nicely set but nor burnt or dried out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 06:55 AM

4,125 posts, read 7,367,983 times
I don't have a recipe....you make a white sauce with a roux which is basically butter and a little flour, and then add milk and stir until it thickens. Add half of the cheese you will use to the sauce. I generally use cheddar the shredded kind in bags. I sometimes use shredded parmesan or swiss too and add to the cheddar. Cook macaroni until al dente. Do not over cook but rather maybe undercook a little. Put it in a oiled baking pan like a pyrex dish and pour some of the white cheese sauce on. Kind of layer in the sauce, the macaroni and the cheese. Add seasonings of your choice like salt, pepper, season salt or garlic salt if desired. Sprinkle more cheddar cheese into the pan and kind of mix around with a spoon. Add enough sauce till desired consistency, not too soupy not too dry. As a final topping add more cheese on top and maybe buttered bread crumbs. Bake until golden brown on the top.

Its more of an art of making it rather than a recipe. I do not use eggs, sour cream or ricotta cheese in my macaroni and cheese. Yes I like what Buckhead said, I do all that, that's the right idea.

Last edited by ToriaT; 11-15-2008 at 06:57 AM.. Reason: add a comment

Old 11-15-2008, 07:16 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,141,084 times
For the creamiest texture, do not use the packaged pre-shredded cheese. It doesn't melt as smoothly. Also, my family prefers it prepared on the stovetop. Baked Mac N Cheese tends to make the noodles too rubbery. I know...we're different.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:14 AM

1,311 posts, read 4,497,661 times
Mine is a combo of the recipe on the back of the Barilla pasta box and Rachael Ray spices. It's easy and comes out creamy and super-yummy.
Melt 1 stick of butter in deep skillet. Add 1/4 c flour and 1 tsp salt and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add 6 c milk, then a sprinkle of nutmeg and cayenne pepper. Turn the heat up a little to slowly bring the milk/butter up to a bubble. Add a pound of rotini and cover. Keep simmering 10-11 minutes, or until the pasta is cooked. Remove from heat and add 3 c shredded sharp cheese. Pour into baking dish. Cover with grated parmesan and bread crumbs. Bake at 400 until brown and bubble. If it takes too long broil at the end. Good luck!

Old 11-15-2008, 01:51 PM

1,920 posts, read 7,077,660 times
Thanks!!I really like the one suggestion of boiling the pasta in milk in the same pan. So many good recipes to try. If you see someone in the supermarket looking a little yellow, it might just be me from all of the mac and CHEESE!

Old 11-15-2008, 03:37 PM

1,311 posts, read 4,497,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Thanks!!I really like the one suggestion of boiling the pasta in milk in the same pan. So many good recipes to try. If you see someone in the supermarket looking a little yellow, it might just be me from all of the mac and CHEESE!
I forgot to mention in mine that it's uncooked rotini that you add. So the rotini cooks in the milk. One less dish!

Old 11-15-2008, 03:52 PM

5,499 posts, read 21,789,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexingtongal View Post
I use Paula Dean's mac & cheese recipe and it is sooo good! Here it is:
3/4 lb's elbow macaroni
3 shredded sharp cheddar cheese
3 large eggs
1/2 C sour cream
1 c milk
4 tsp unsalted butter, cut into small pieces

Preheat oven to 350
butter an 8 x 12" baking dish
cook mac as directed on package, drain and transfer to a bowl
add 2 cups of the cheese and toss until melted
in another bowl whisk the eggs with the sour cream
add milk, butter and 1/2 tsp salt
Stir the mixture into the macaroni and pour it into the prepared baking dish
sprinkle remaining cheese on top
bake for 35 minutes until bubbling and cheese is melted
Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.

Enjoy!
This sounds great. I would want to put in a few onions. You know, chop them up and then cook in butter till they are translucent and then add them to the mix.

One time a friend made me mac & cheese with huge pieces of shrimp in it. I really like that.

I love mac & cheese so much that I can't even make it, because I will eat the entire thing alone, by myself. And then I'm sick.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:46 PM

27,957 posts, read 37,708,033 times
Default More or less my recipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus430 View Post
I've made it using a rue, flour, butter adding milk. Then I add the cheese and macaroni and bake. I don't have a recipe, sorry.
Start off with a big pot of boiling water... salted well. Boil macaroni for about 8 minutes or follow directions on package.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Use a 2 quart cassorle (sp) buttered bottom and sides

Diced up bacon is optional. 2 to 4 slices cut up and browned.
For cheese I like a sharp chedder and monteray jack or an american cheese... I like to mix the cheeses.

Ample cheese graded. If by volume 4 cups.
The roux I use equil parts flower and butter or a mixute of butter and bacon drippings... (to taste)
I use dried onion flakes
1/8 teaspoon dried mustard
1/8 teaspoon curry powder
1/8 sage or other spice(s) to taste
add browned bacon (optional)
1 1/2 cups milk to thicken the roux add 3 cups of the grated cheese and melt.

Once the sauce is combined and cheese melted pour over macaroni and mix well. place in oven for 15 minutes.

Take remaining cheese during the last 5 minutes and sprinkle over top mac and cheese and let it melt... Broiler his a handy tool to get a good melted bubbly.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:08 AM

16,100 posts, read 30,908,818 times
It's colder here today than normal. I am making gooey mac & cheese with ham chunks. Love that comfort food!

Old 11-22-2008, 07:18 AM

13,321 posts, read 21,815,687 times
Grandmas' Loved Mac and Cheese

One pound box of Macaroni
A "double" bar of Xtra Sharp Cheddar Cheese
Milk
Ritz Crackers for crumbs/ or crushed Wheatees
Butter
Corn Starch

In a very large sauce pan melt the Cheddar Cheese, after it gets started you add FIVE cups of milk.Do this before the cheese gets overly hot, or it will curddle.
Mix in a half water half cornstarch mixture, .......About a 1/3 cup for thickening.
Stir constantly until it lightly bubbles.

Have your Macaronis cooking......and drain.

Pour you nicely thickened creamy sauce into the noodles.

Put in large cooking bowl........spread the crushed Ritzs on top, and then place butter pads around.

Cook at 350 for 1/2 hour. You will see a little bubbling on the sides.

Everyone in the family loves this, and the little fellows request it all of the time........a real winner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes