U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 07:33 AM

42 posts, read 137,554 times

Advertisements

homeade mac & cheese with hot dogs bites are great for the kids
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 09:37 AM

9,480 posts, read 11,721,966 times
I make the recipe on the back of the elbow noodle box...

Old 11-23-2008, 12:37 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,730,156 times
Sometimes we add bread crumbs on the top before baking.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:33 PM

1,036 posts, read 2,718,858 times
I realize I'm dredging up an old thread, forgive me! I'm excited because I didn't realize this cooking forum existed until today :-)

My macaroni & cheese is semi-homemade. I live in Nashville, TN the heart of the South so trust me on this one when I say it's a major compliment to be asked to bring the macaroni & cheese to a gathering, it's serious business around here!

I buy 2 packages of Bob Evans pre-made macaroni & cheese found in the refrigerator section of your grocery store. One good sized bag of shredded SHARP cheddar cheese. Garlic Powder, Salt & Pepper. Try it for yourself if you don't believe me, this is wonderful. I think the key is to be really heavy handed on the garlic powder, it's unexpected & adds so much flavor. All you do is microwave the pre-made macaroni & cheese mixture according to package directions, mix in the shredded cheese & go wild with the seasoning. It's always a hit & people don't believe me when I tell them it's semi-homemade.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:00 PM

622 posts, read 1,653,912 times
I have to throw my weight in with the roux-based peeps! I make the white sauce first- meaning add milk to the roux, then add my desired cheese of choice- made some the other day with smoked cheddar and it was SO good! I usually add a bit of salt & pepper, few drops of Louisiana hot sauce and/or worchestershire sauce. Sour cream or yogurt can add tang if you need it. Garlic IS a nice touch, a little sauteed onion too if you feel like it, but now we're getting into "grown-up" mac & cheese territory. lol

BlueSky- I don't know what Bob Evans is...is it a brand or a grocery store?

Old 01-21-2009, 02:03 PM

1,036 posts, read 2,718,858 times
It's a brand, the pre-made macaroni is readily available in Nashville but may not be widely distributed out of the South. I would never serve it alone, but jazz it up & it's a whole new world!

Old 01-23-2009, 12:51 AM

9,230 posts, read 15,877,876 times
I've tried this and it is really good.

Adapted from The Martha Stewart Living Cookbook: The Original Classics.
Ingredients

8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for casserole
6 slices white bread, crusts removed, torn into 1/4- to l/2-inch pieces
5 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons coarse salt, plus more for water
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 1/2 cups (about 18 ounces) grated sharp white cheddar cheese
2 cups (about 8 ounces) grated Gruyère or 1 1/4 cups (about 5 ounces) grated Pecorino Romano cheese
1 pound elbow macaroni
Procedure

1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter a 3-quart casserole dish; set aside. Place the bread in a medium bowl. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Pour the melted butter into the bowl with the bread, and toss. Set the breadcrumbs aside.

2. Warm the milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Melt the remaining 6 tablespoons butter in a high-sided skillet over medium heat. When the butter bubbles, add the flour. Cook, stirring, 1 minute.

3. While whisking, slowly pour in the hot milk a little at a time to keep mixture smooth. Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until the mixture bubbles and becomes thick, 8 to 12 minutes.

4. Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in salt, nutmeg, black pepper, cayenne pepper, 3 cups cheddar cheese, and 1 1/2 cups Gruyère (or 1 cup Pecorino Romano); set the cheese sauce aside.

5. Cover a large pot of salted water, and bring to a boil. Cook the macaroni until the outside of pasta is cooked and the inside is underdone, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer the macaroni to a colander, rinse under cold running water, and drain well. Stir the macaroni into the reserved cheese sauce.

6. Pour the mixture into the prepared dish. Sprinkle the remaining 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup Gruyère (or 1/4 cup Pecorino Romano), and the breadcrumbs over the top. Bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Transfer the dish to a wire rack for 5 minutes; serve.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:38 AM

17 posts, read 70,456 times
I went nuts trying different recipes also. Mybe it was just me, but I found the best was on the box of Ronzoni elbow macaroni. I sub 3-1/2cups velveeta and 1-1/2 cup colby-jack. Instead of milk use cream.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:07 AM

2,140 posts, read 7,625,912 times
Making a roux with flour and butter is the trick. Believe me.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:06 PM

16,233 posts, read 25,796,392 times
I agree - if you've never cooked with a roux, I recommend getting a can of Wondra flour (it's in the flour aisle, in a turquoise blue can). The recipe for white sauce is right on the box - I double it. Make it as directed, and then immediately after cooking, remove from heat and stir in shredded cheese in batches (if you add it all at once it may separate and turn out greasy). I use a combination of Tillamook sharp white cheddar and about 4 oz of Velveeta. Stir in a package of pre-cooked elbow macaroni (or small shells, or even spirals) pour into pan sprayed with pam, and top with buttered panko crumbs. Bake at 350 until bubbly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes